Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Research Paper HELP - Globalization and the RC Industry >

Research Paper HELP - Globalization and the RC Industry

Research Paper HELP - Globalization and the RC Industry

Old 07-15-2015, 06:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Questions?? Research Paper HELP - Globalization and the RC Industry

Hey guys, Iím working on a paper (due in 5 days!) for a class called Globalization in Engineering. As some people previously posted, there arenít too much info on the RC industry out there to research, the core knowledge is probably best obtained from RC enthusiasts.

I chose the RC industry for my paper because of my interest in RC, and Iím hoping I can get some RC business owners (be it online or local hobby shops, and even distributors if possible) and the RC experts here to share their thoughts on some of the questions below to help me formulate my paper (titled The Globalization of the Radio Control Hobby Industry)

How has Globalization affected the RC industry in terms of:
a. Consumer buying preference/pattern Ė hobby shops across the nation barely get by due to online competitions domestic and overseas, but RC toys arenít the only consumer products out there with a slim profit margin. Are there any factors other than prices that caused the decline of local hobby stores in the past 2 decades? What can and must local hobby shops do in order to create new competitive advantage?

b. Technology innovations Ė not so much about the actual technologies, but has there been a shift in where innovations are taking place (are the U.S. and Japan still the leaders? Has China transitioned from being the manufacturer to technology developer?). Do we see a benefit in collaborating with China to develop new technologies due to their increased capabilities all around; are there mutual benefits in doing so? Or should we fight hard to isolate development here and only outsource manufacturing?

c. How does Tamiya compete in the RC industry (RC car focused), they donít necessarily make the fastest and most technological advanced cars out there, but they still have a strong following due to how well they capture peopleís heart (think about their classic models like the Lunchbox, grasshopper, Clodbuster, etc..)

Thatís all for now, I have many more points that I need to cover, but I want to focus on the points I listed for now. Iíd appreciate any inputs and comments. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2015, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Wow, wish I had seen this sooner! I hashed this out a few years ago with some friends, and we came up with a few ideas. These are more geared towards a car manufacture, in re to distributing parts, not necessarily expensive ticket items like electronics. I could see tire manufacturers fall into this category.

For a hobby shop to thrive, distributors need to make less, while the shop can make more. Since distributor's aren't going to lessen their profits, the stores need more access to direct buying from suppliers. Cut out the middle man. We have all seen countless hobby shops close, but when was the last time a distributor showed signs of struggling?

Smaller car companies, or parts companies, need to push sales through a sales person network. Sure, they may have a couple people pushing sales to distributors, but why hasn't joe-blow from x company contacted the lhs to sell their parts, offer deals, offer to send a bulk parts box for next to nothing to the shops location? Here is our product, we believe in it, we think you will sell a ton of it, here is how. We want to see your establishment thrive while selling the heck out of our product. Dominate the market and gain share by focusing on volume and quality. Cut out the distributors, focus on selling to the lhs's, so the shop can make 75% profit on parts instead of 50%. Kit's shouldn't be any different, brand x. should limit their profits, focus on volume, sell for 10-15% over cost to build to the consumer. I'd bet the middle man is killing us all.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

hey guys, just thought I'd share my paper with you in case if anyone is looking for some information related to RC industry. There were many topics related to my class that I wanted to cover and I had to go outside of the RC car realm and tap into the RC "drones" area due to the large amount of research material available thanks to its recent rise in popularity. Please excuse the many many typos I had throughout the paper, I ran out of time and could not proofread it (paper was due midnight and I submitted it on 12:03am).

You may or may not agree with all the facts and analyses I presented but I tried my best with the amount of time I had. And it was tailored to satisfy the requirements on my paper so please no flaming.

Special thanks to MarkA who provided me with some useful insights that were very helpful when I was formulating my paper.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5n...ew?usp=sharing