Best Money You Ever Spent in RC

Like Tree23Likes

Best Money You Ever Spent in RC

Old 07-01-2015, 05:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
God yes.

Transforms how you look at building turnbuckles. Not to mention speeding the process up!
Old 07-01-2015, 05:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I've made tons of good purchases, but the best might be my first XRay T1 (previously owned, of course). It was expensive compared to some other cars, but I loved the design. Now my T1 fleet has grown to four cars. They are easy to adjust, exremely rugged, and last nearly forever... and are still competitive in classes where they can meet the minimum weight. I'm all about maximizing my fun/dollar ratio, and these cars have been standouts for that purpose.

Also a standout: my RC300 1/8 pan car with gear diff. I bought it (very cheap!) from a friend who had it stuffed in the back of his closet, and then won a Nats with it.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My first car was a grasshopper in '84... Without question the best purchase I've made was ball bearings to replace the plastic and bronze bushings. Second best is rechargeable batteries, glad the days of buying 12 aa batteries every race day are gone.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Best money that I have spent on in RC
-- TRF419 Kit
Although I'm new in RC...have made my driving a lot better. Very reliable and predictable.

Worst spending
-- China Made HMF 416 RTR (TRF416WE Clone)
I bought it as my first buy when I jump into this RC world. Although the initial investment was low...I made a lot of wasteful purchase on parts as I progress. Every weekends at the track...at least an arm...a belt...or a UJ would break from the slightest knock on the sideboard or another car.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Like several others have said, the best money I ever spent was on my M12. In a close second place is my set of Protek shock shaft pliers, I don't know how I got along without them all these years.

Worst money I ever spent was on a Nomadio radio. It wasn't a bad radio but they were out of the RC business in less than a year after I bought it so support and spare receivers went away quickly.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Best

A good set of tools purchased in 2002, not a brand name most would think of but quality and I still have them today with only 1 tip 2mm hex requiring replacement.

Close second, LRP sphere ESC, purchased in 2007 still use it in blinky today.

Third Tekin BC112A round cell charger, small, light and still have it and use it regularly.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Getting into GT12. Lowest cost of ownership for onroad ever for the best racing.
Cars by:
Schumacher SupaStox GT
Mardave Assassin
Zen 12GT
ORE

Check them out and look for BRCA even videos on YouTube!
Old 07-01-2015, 08:00 AM
Tech Addict

Two 'bests" for me. I just started RC racing a year and a half ago at age 52. So I needed to play catch up.

1. VRC Pro. This helped me get the muscle memory of driving an RC car quickly. I probably gained 5-10 years worth of RC experience in a year. Plus it helped me to learn race strategies and not get nervous when in the lead.

2. RC Crew Chief. I am an engineer and this software lets me set up my cars exactly as I want, and be able to see how various adjustments affect the overall setup. Now my cars are pretty much spot on each time I put them on the track. Saves me hours of trial and error at the track, time that I can use to practice on my driving instead of chasing setups.

Best $60 ever spent. Just a little more than one set of tires.

Mark
Aligater likes this.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Hudy automatic tire truer.
I go back far enough to remember using a drill press and a block of wood with sandpaper glued to it.
patorz31 likes this.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Best High cost Item: A quality radio, in my case a KO.

Best low cost item: Protoform better edge sanding block thing. I absolutely love that thing!
Old 07-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Definitely the AMB personal transponder......in the RC world, it is the best money spend on....I think at least 12+ years ago they were $50...I bought 4 of those new, then years later, gather about 6 more because friends are quitting the racing or whatever reason...all about $50 each. I bet if I am going to sell them now....I can get around $70 each....probably the only RC related items that can keep the value or even making money.

Hudy automatic tire truer....yeah initial investment was high but again, 10+ years and still going strong. Good thing they don't need software update and boost/turbo setting on tire truer....LOL
Old 07-01-2015, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Thorpe hex drivers. 30 years on still the best drivers I own. Second was my automatic tire truer. Best car was the original Landgraff dominator my original rc10. They were so much better then anything else at the time.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My experience is that the best money spent is on things like transmitters, tools etc...

Buy good ones and they'll last you for years and years. Buy cheap and you'll be replacing them soon enough.

Can't see myself ever needing anything with more features than my MT4, it's perfect and it should last me ten years. For that reason I'm going to vote for that.

As far as cheaper purchases go, I'd say a proper turn-buckle tool. I got one for a couple of dollars from hobbyking and it makes it so much easier to adjust the setup. The plastic ones you get with kits are awful.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

1. VRC Pro. This helped me get the muscle memory of driving an RC car quickly. I probably gained 5-10 years worth of RC experience in a year. Plus it helped me to learn race strategies and not get nervous when in the lead
I gave this a try not too long ago.
Purchased the USB dongle, used my controller, etc... ...it just seems like I was playing a video game and not like real driving at all. I was very hopeful for this and kept an open mind, yet it seems too far from the real thing for me. Everytime I hear someone praise this app' it makes me want to go back and give it another try. ...maybe I will? Really it helped you that much?
Old 07-01-2015, 10:47 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
I gave this a try not too long ago.
Purchased the USB dongle, used my controller, etc... ...it just seems like I was playing a video game and not like real driving at all. I was very hopeful for this and kept an open mind, yet it seems too far from the real thing for me. Everytime I hear someone praise this app' it makes me want to go back and give it another try. ...maybe I will? Really it helped you that much?
Remember, I was a raw noob and had never driven an RC car before (although I fly RC planes and helicopters). VRC was helpful in giving me 'stick time' (I use a stick transmitter for my RC cars as well). Is it EXACTLY like driving an RC car? No, but close enough for me to develop pure muscle memory and not have to think about driving. I use RC simulators quite extensively for flying planes and helis and it speeds up the learning process immensely. Not to mention the money I save when I crash on the simulator instead of in real life! I'm approaching 90,000 laps on VRC in a year and a half of using it.

If there's a better RC driving simulator out there, I'd like to know about it.

People keep mentioning tire truers, but the tracks I go to have them so I don't see a need to invest in one.

Mark

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service