Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
RC hording confession >

RC hording confession

RC hording confession

Old 06-03-2015, 03:24 PM
Regional Moderator

I have 9 R/C cars. Kept everyone I had from 10 on.

Started in 1998 when an older friend across the street got a rustler. Then I wanted one. Me and another friend were still playing with tyco RCs then. We didnt know about this kind of RC and were blown away by the rustler. Later my dad buys me a rustler and my friend's dad buys him a stampede. And it took off from there.

The next street over a buddy and his dad used to race T3s and pancars. They would show us a lot of cool stuff and help fix our trucks when they broke. This only helped to feed the beginning of a long time addiction to RC.

Its funny because, every car I bought afterwards was going to be "the last one". :lol
Old 06-03-2015, 04:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Once again, lesson learned: No Wife = No Problems.
More room to horde your rc cars. Rc cars dont get mad when you spend the day doing rc instead of cleaning the house...
Old 06-03-2015, 05:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Old 06-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi my name is Mike, I'm a rc hoarder!
Old 06-03-2015, 07:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by KA2AEV View Post
Hi my name is Mike, I'm a rc hoarder!
Welcome Mike. Thank you for sharing.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrous36 View Post

Started in 1998 when an older friend across the street got a rustler. Then I wanted one. Me and another friend were still playing with tyco RCs then. We didnt know about this kind of RC and were blown away by the rustler. Later my dad buys me a rustler and my friend's dad buys him a stampede. And it took off from there.

The next street over a buddy and his dad used to race T3s and pancars. They would show us a lot of cool stuff and help fix our trucks when they broke. This only helped to feed the beginning of a long time addiction to RC.

Its funny because, every car I bought afterwards was going to be "the last one". :lol
Thats a cool lil story. I remember those tyco rc's very well. I use to salivate watching the commercials
Old 06-04-2015, 07:17 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nitrous36 View Post

Soon you'll have to get one more. Just one more.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:08 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Evo 13 View Post
Thats a cool lil story. I remember those tyco rc's very well. I use to salivate watching the commercials
Its funny because our tycos could do flips, spins, stoppies and wheelies. The rustler couldnt do none of that. But still we were more impressed by it than ours. It was fast, light, could jump. And it was cool watching the guy drift it and power slide around. It was nothing like the plastic $%^& you get from radioshack, walmart , or Toys R us. It was realistic looking, the parts were replacable and upgradable, but most of all it was repairable. Again it was unlike the plastic crap you get at walmart. Once something broke on those , they were broke and game over.

Getting into RC. It was all coincidence. I was lucky. I was around the right people at the right place, at the right time.

Originally Posted by turbo scorpion View Post
Soon you'll have to get one more. Just one more.
Youre right, and have 10. Just to make it even.

Last edited by nitrous36; 06-04-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:28 AM
Tech Champion

I've always been into real cars. Had a '69 Camaro when I was young and stupid. Never really had enough money to go racing. Right after I got married a friend took me to a slot car track. Absolutely fell in love with it. After a couple visits, I brought a box stock Group 12 car. The knock down, drag out fight I had with my wife was legendary. "How could you spend forty dollars on a toy car?!" That's how much they were back then. This was the mid '80s, so the slot car track had a big selection of RC. One day I asked the owner of all the cars there, which one would you recommend? He immediately pointed to one, the Team Associated RC10. I still have the gold chassis and some of the parts from that car.

The shop also catered to a club that raced 12th scale on road, called LIMRA. I went to a race, and was instantly hooked. Once I got over the headache, that is.

Many thousands of dollars, and many cars later (some of which were gifts from my wife!), I'm still hooked on this hobby. I don't consider myself a hoarder. I'd rather sell off older cars, only because if I still have them, I'm tempted to put money into them. Some of the stuff I still have is an original Clod Buster, a Nitro TC3, a fiberglass chassis RC-12L, and a Yokomo YR-4 M2.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jiml View Post
I've always been into real cars. Had a '69 Camaro when I was young and stupid. Never really had enough money to go racing. Right after I got married a friend took me to a slot car track. Absolutely fell in love with it. After a couple visits, I brought a box stock Group 12 car. The knock down, drag out fight I had with my wife was legendary. "How could you spend forty dollars on a toy car?!" That's how much they were back then. This was the mid '80s, so the slot car track had a big selection of RC. One day I asked the owner of all the cars there, which one would you recommend? He immediately pointed to one, the Team Associated RC10. I still have the gold chassis and some of the parts from that car.

The shop also catered to a club that raced 12th scale on road, called LIMRA. I went to a race, and was instantly hooked. Once I got over the headache, that is.

Many thousands of dollars, and many cars later (some of which were gifts from my wife!), I'm still hooked on this hobby. I don't consider myself a hoarder. I'd rather sell off older cars, only because if I still have them, I'm tempted to put money into them. Some of the stuff I still have is an original Clod Buster, a Nitro TC3, a fiberglass chassis RC-12L, and a Yokomo YR-4 M2.
my story is the same, started with slots at Elmsford raceway in NY. drooled over the rc boxes behind the counter, all Tamiya's. bought a used rc from a friend, then another and then the racing bug caught on for my dad and I.

27 years later I'm still at it.
I counted off the top of my head, I have 35 cars I know of right now. there are probably 10 or so more hidden in the dungeon.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by peter george View Post
Five years ago my wife said: the rc's go or I go! And boy do I miss her!
Hey Pete, you're so bad!
Old 06-04-2015, 02:08 PM
Tech Champion

Elmsford was legendary. Never raced there, though.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BeauFlex View Post
Yes yes I can empathize with you. I recently found a stash of old parts hidden in the shed in the back yard. I have no idea what they belonged to our how long ive had them. All i do know is that i definitely cant throw them out as I very well might need them at some point.
Sound familiar anyone?

"Hoarders have great difficulty making decisions, especially around the value of their possessions,” says Michael Jenike, an OCD expert and professor of psychiatry at Harvard, who was not associated with the research. “This study is very interesting as it demonstrates that brain regions associated with monitoring for errors under conditions of uncertainty are activated when hoarding patients are deciding whether or not to throw out personal items.”

In other words, hoarders assign too much value to their possessions, making it difficult or impossible to decide to get rid of them."

"Consequently, the study found that people with hoarding disorder took much longer to make decisions about discarding their possessions and felt more sadness and anxiety about these choices than did the other participants. “One of the characteristics of hoarding is that people feel this sense of discomfort if they feel like they may be giving away something that they could use in future,” says Hollander, explaining that patients often become greatly distressed or even angry if they are pushed to give up apparently useless or excess possessions."
Old 10-26-2015, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml View Post
Elmsford was legendary. Never raced there, though.
Still There 50 years on
Been a number of years since I was there, Best was the Ice cream shop just down the road .