Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Starting R/C track >

Starting R/C track

Starting R/C track

Old 04-12-2015, 05:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Starting R/C track

Would like to build a 8th scale bluegroove R/C track in my backyard eventually.

What is involved? Are you allowed to open it to the public or do you need insurance / company / split land ect ?

It is on my to do list once I get the land!
Old 04-13-2015, 05:25 AM
Tech Champion

One word, liability.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Like jiml said, you would be liable for EVERYTHING. Somebody twist their ankle marshaling, and they go to an urgent care, you would be screwed. Somebody get hit with a car, hit hard I mean 1/8th scale isn't light, your could get a law suit against you for all you have and more. I would say you can get liability insurance, and if you are not in the city limits of any town, you're good to go.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Gotcha something to think about for sure.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

INSURANCE INSURANCE INSURANCE!!!!!! If you're going to do it in your own back yard and you own the property you should check with your home owners policy issuer, there is usually some personal injury coverage included. I'm sure you could up the coverage if needed. Good luck!!
Old 04-13-2015, 05:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Any particular reason? If you're in Tallahassee, FL you have a huge track in a public park. Why build one?
Old 04-14-2015, 06:22 PM
Tech Rookie

It's simple actually.

Get a legally binding contract written up (If it's on paper and signed and dated by both parties, it's legal) and make sure to keep copies of all contracts for track use. They can't sign the paper then turn around and sue you for their stupid mistake.

They took the risk of going out onto the track to marshal, they took the risk of taking that truck up the rear end at 40+mph, you didn't make them.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
Any particular reason? If you're in Tallahassee, FL you have a huge track in a public park. Why build one?
Because I am planning on moving up north to an area with no track like Tallahassee, and want to replicate it.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks all. I can see liability issues arising. Have seen many a turn marshal leap in the air to avoid a 45mph nitro buggy headed their way!

Ultimately I probably would just sell a few R/C tires in a shack then split land and call it a LLC with separate insurance and such. That way all the liability is with the LLC.

I know of a few backyard tracks in the area (tallahassee) but never been to them, just the tallahasse track, which is awesome!
Old 04-24-2015, 06:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Definitely need insurance. Probably best off leasing the land from the owner. Not sure what 'split land' is but you probably dont want to purchase it..
Old 04-29-2015, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default track build

first dirt..
blue grove Clay in needed or really good dirt.. a 200 by 100 1/8th scale track r 56 loads of what ever at any where from 200 to 350.00 per load.
2nd City or county permits. 3rd if you charge its a business that doubles your insurance....club events pay dues just an idea 4th . timing system 5 grand if you go with my laps. there are cheaper its your call.. 5th a tower or drivers stand. build it and you have to have engineers drawings and plans to prove a hurricane wont blow it to the guys down the street and kill someone.. 6th people that live close might shut you down due to noise. water and elect. another cost. I just built a track 3 yrs ago and it cost me 45 grand.. rental for dirt movement ..tampers rollers and tools.. hoses sink toilets and a lot of energy.... if you need any information PM me Thanks have fun
Old 04-29-2015, 09:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lt Venom View Post
It's simple actually.

Get a legally binding contract written up (If it's on paper and signed and dated by both parties, it's legal) and make sure to keep copies of all contracts for track use. They can't sign the paper then turn around and sue you for their stupid mistake.

They took the risk of going out onto the track to marshal, they took the risk of taking that truck up the rear end at 40+mph, you didn't make them.
Sadly this is not true. Lawyers rip apart liability waivers daily in court.