R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge

Old 12-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Tire cleaning regiment for carpet

What is everyone's tire cleaning regiment for carpet tires. What do you use for cleaning fluid?
user1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

sxt tire cleaner.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I use odorless mineral spirits. A gallon is about $14 at Wally World. That gallon will do a whole bunch of tires!
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

After a run I clean tires with the same sauce I'm using that day.

Brand new tires I clean only the very first time with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, to remove the waxy mold release coating. Sauce won't sink into the tire unless that coating is removed first.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For rubber tire I either use motor cleaner or traction compound after every race/practice. If grip is satisfactory I'll use motor cleaner. If not I'll go with traction compound. I go through a lot of blue shop towels cleaning tires.

fyi, paulie has a vid on YouTube covering what he does

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I was previously cleaning my tires with non-chlorinated brake cleaning, but recently switch to using a home brew sauce that has mineral spirits, and naphtha. It works much better and provides more consistent traction after putting on SXT on my tires before the race.
CamLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Ive heard lighter fluid works good for cleaning. Havent tried it yet, but looking for a cheaper alternative to tire sauce. It gets expensive using it before and after a race.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Lighter fluid works great for cleaning, but I would advise letting the tires dry for a few races before applying new tire sauce after cleaning because I have had a slightly slippery round that I blamed on there still being lighter fluid on my tires when I sauced with SXT . Other good options are motor spray, or electronics cleaner as it's called now as I can't remember the last time I actually sprayed out a motor. The can of Performance Plus 4 that I bought at the IIC is pretty good, leaves no residue that I can see, and at about 7 bucks for the can it wasn't too expensive.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

How is it good for cleaning if I cant re-sauce in an hour or so? Im confused about your proccess. You clean with lighter fluid, then race with no sauce for several races and withoit cleaning between rounds?
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

wurth
cturna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Ive heard lighter fluid works good for cleaning. Havent tried it yet, but looking for a cheaper alternative to tire sauce. It gets expensive using it before and after a race.
A cheaper alternative for tire sauce is Gojo hand cleaner(not the pumice and not a generic knockoff)because it's main ingredient is petroleum distillates. In fact it's the first ingredient on the label. It actually works great as a softener and the small tubs are pretty cheap when you can find em'!
Old 12-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I just use warm water and soap.

Never had a issue, and it makes them sticky.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #13
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
How is it good for cleaning if I cant re-sauce in an hour or so? Im confused about your proccess. You clean with lighter fluid, then race with no sauce for several races and withoit cleaning between rounds?
My apologies. I used the term "race" as a rough period of time that I presumed we would all be familiar with, which would generally be a period of time somewhere between 6 and 9 minutes.

For the layman or tyro unaware of RC racing jargon, a translation for "dry for a few races" can be translated to "allow 20-30 minutes for the solvent to dry, or roughly how long it takes to complete two to three rc qualifiers or heats with each being between 6-8 minutes long accounting for the roughly 2 minute delay between the end of one heat and the start of another."

It is generally accepted that you should sauce tires before each qualifier and main event, to better guarantee consistent car performance characteristics.

Sorry, my smartass gene got the best of me there. I literally could not stop myself.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.

Last edited by DesertRat; 12-16-2014 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Say I'm sorry.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:02 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Lighter fluid works great for cleaning, but I would advise letting the tires dry for a few races before applying new tire sauce after cleaning because I have had a slightly slippery round that I blamed on there still being lighter fluid on my tires when I sauced with SXT . Other good options are motor spray, or electronics cleaner as it's called now as I can't remember the last time I actually sprayed out a motor. The can of Performance Plus 4 that I bought at the IIC is pretty good, leaves no residue that I can see, and at about 7 bucks for the can it wasn't too expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cturna View Post
wurth
Lighter Fluid contains naptha alcohol, as does Wurth's, which should evaporate off the tyres after being applied.

If you have doubts, perhaps you could try using the lighter fluid to clean the tyres, then clean again using the tyre sauce.
Wipe the sauce off and leave until you want to apply the additive proper to use for the race.
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Most tracks use SXT out here, and I will use either SXT, SXT cleaner, or Trinity Sticky Fingers for cleaning. I put it on a blue towel, and spin the tire with the V1 MuchMore Tire Sander. Quick and easy. It also ensures the tires are the same everytime I sauce, so it keeps things consistent. I do the same thing with new tires, as it will take off the mold release as well.

The V2 tire sander (reversable one) spins too fast for use with a 12v power supply, and works better of a 2s lipo. The v1 works fine off 12v. There is also a new one (SkyRC and someone else with the same) that is reversable with adjustable speed that can be used as well.

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote