Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
robin willams commits suicide.. >

robin willams commits suicide..

robin willams commits suicide..

Old 08-11-2014, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default robin willams commits suicide..

actor ive liked since jumanji commited apparent suicide.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=24937522
Old 08-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Unhappy

Sad story....R.I.P Mork!
Old 08-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Just saw this a few minutes ago.. I can't believe it
Old 08-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Tech Adept

The only thing worse than depression is the stigma attached to it and the people who make a mockery of it. People who commit suicide rarely want to die, they just want the pain to end, and with the way the world treats people with depression as though they are weak I am not surprised that people choose to take their own life instead of getting help, not that the "help" on offer is much help in a lot of cases. Saddened but not surprised... We will lose a lot more people before we get on top of this debilitating mental health problem, both in a medical sense and with in our communities.

Last edited by TheKennyKiller; 08-11-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Damn man... that is a shame. The guy stayed relevant for decades. I used to go nuts as a kid watching M&M, he was just a funny dude all the way around. I don't know if the hard partying in the early years may have played a part in his condition later in life, but either way this sucks to hear. He has owned a number of places here in Florida, I hung out in a house he used to live in years ago. The place had a lot of character, no surprise he chose it. R.I.P.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Lets try to remember him like this. At one point however fleetingly he was happy.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I realize this seems ironic to post that video, but I think Robin would have appreciated it. In any case as said never think someones depression will just go away or worse, they just have to suck it up.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:48 AM
Suspended

sad sad.. alcohol drug abuse and depression..even sadder results..PEACE Robin
Old 08-12-2014, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I do find it hard to understand how a man that could by force of personal will bring laughter into any room would feel so depressed that he would end his own life.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 357 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lbenton View Post
I do find it hard to understand how a man that could by force of personal will bring laughter into any room would feel so depressed that he would end his own life.
Mental disorders are very severe and often the person experiencing issues will never speak of them to anyone. On top of that, many people who experience severe depression/anxiety/etc appear/act no different than anyone else in a crowd. Its quite easy to put up a happy face but also be completely dying on the inside.

The mental health support system in this country is a complete failure. If you bring it up to a doctor, they often start prescribing very serious prescription pills (maintenance drugs) that dont necessarily cure the problem but act as more of a band aid. As you take these, your body will adjust to them at which point you need more.

The other option is the psych/counseling route which can take years to see results and not to mention is extremely expensive (even if you have insurance, most providers will not cover it).

Its a very sad thing with Robin W... I grew up watching him on TV. RIP!
Old 08-12-2014, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by flat6 View Post
Mental disorders are very severe and often the person experiencing issues will never speak of them to anyone. On top of that, many people who experience severe depression/anxiety/etc appear/act no different than anyone else in a crowd. Its quite easy to put up a happy face but also be completely dying on the inside.

The mental health support system in this country is a complete failure. If you bring it up to a doctor, they often start prescribing very serious prescription pills (maintenance drugs) that dont necessarily cure the problem but act as more of a band aid. As you take these, your body will adjust to them at which point you need more.

The other option is the psych/counseling route which can take years to see results and not to mention is extremely expensive (even if you have insurance, most providers will not cover it).

Its a very sad thing with Robin W... I grew up watching him on TV. RIP!
Pills are profitable.

As for the counseling / therapy- another aspect, other than the cost, is that there is a bit of a stigma attached to it. Instead of being viewed as important (acceptable!), necessary treatment, many view it as a bit of a disgrace.... "going to the shrink" or "quack doctor". Closed-minded people that don't suffer from depression / anxiety can't understand when someone else needs to seek this kind of therapy. The attitude is that "you just need to suck it up and stop moaning!" No one ever wants to admit that they go to psych counseling out of fear of ridicule or being looked at as a weak person. So unfortunately many people turn to self-medicating practices... not healthy to say the least but it is the reality.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

It is said he was a kind man. A great actor/comedian for sure. Still find it hard to believe he is gone. Shaz-bot!
Old 08-12-2014, 09:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
Pills are profitable.

As for the counseling / therapy- another aspect, other than the cost, is that there is a bit of a stigma attached to it. Instead of being viewed as important (acceptable!), necessary treatment, many view it as a bit of a disgrace.... "going to the shrink" or "quack doctor". Closed-minded people that don't suffer from depression / anxiety can't understand when someone else needs to seek this kind of therapy. The attitude is that "you just need to suck it up and stop moaning!" No one ever wants to admit that they go to psych counseling out of fear of ridicule or being looked at as a weak person. So unfortunately many people turn to self-medicating practices... not healthy to say the least but it is the reality.
That was me.... for two decades, except I was/am severely depressed as a symptom of PTSD. I self-medicated, starting at the age of 11 with pot and cocaine, ending up homeless at 14 after being deserted by my mother after my parents divorced when I was 10. I was beaten, drugged, hurt and searched for anyone that would nurture me, even if it was just to make themselves feel better.

I always associated therapy with attention whores and weak people who didn't want to take care of themselves. After realizing I wasn't holding it together anymore, I finally went in to therapy and realized that it helps, a LOT. I am now 40 with a Wife and children whom I love more than I can say.

I watched the interview Robin did with Diane sawyer in 2006, and it all felt so familiar, and scary. Because what he was talking about during the part where he compares addiction to jumping off a cliff is very real, and very demeaning, and discomforting to feel that way. I just hope that his family can take solace that there are people like me who are encouraged to continue seeking help when we see someone like him who was open and honest about his struggle, even though he lost.

Mr. Williams, may God Bless and take you into solace and peace.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by makya View Post
That was me.... for two decades
RC can be good therapy, no? I'll tell you I love this hobby because a few hours of wrenching and the such can take your mind off things. Even a bad day of racing is all good .
Old 08-13-2014, 03:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
RC can be good therapy, no? I'll tell you I love this hobby because a few hours of wrenching and the such can take your mind off things. Even a bad day of racing is all good .
R/C was actually one of my ways of coping with stress and anxiety for years until I finally sought counseling. It's a great way to disconnect from daily stress.

at least, that's what I tell my wife when the credit card statement arrives.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Even though he was depressed it's understandable why he choose the route he did, his wife announced that he was diagnosed with stage 1 parkinson disease. It's got to be a hard thing to even accept and know there is no cure for it, so "exit stage" while everyone remembers you as a funny and amazing guy not the guy everyone feels bad for. May he rest in peace

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.