Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Popular racing fads >

Popular racing fads

Popular racing fads

Old 06-20-2014, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JiuHaWong View Post
The B5 Mid motor guys are spending more than the car kit's price to lighten them up.
Think I'll stay an asphalt man That is bonkers. Yikes, just go old school like they did BITD and make that RC10 look like swiss-cheese, I remember guys drilling the crap out of those things. I like VTA because you absolutely have to make a min weight requirement. Different animal, I know. But I think I'll stay away from any stock buggy racing. A little extra weight in mod probably makes them a touch easier to drive, no?

Last edited by nf_ekt; 06-21-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:19 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
Trouble with EVERY spec class......people can't leave them alone, always gotta find that little edge. That's why it cost $200 in aftermarket speed parts to race a 17.5 buggy.
If the class of racing is big enough naturally the win is more appealing.

It's the same where I race but with touring cars. it's not unheard of for people to drop 80 on a motor that has more rpm and use 30mm rear FOAM tyres as that's what the club has used for years and will never consider rubber again despite trying it.

Thing is, it's not possible for every car to use 30mm tyre on the back.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What are the comparative advantages of foam vs rubber tires?
Old 06-26-2014, 03:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ColeGartner View Post
Setup is not as important, but I don't really think about the question to be honest, as it's what we have used for years, so it's what the club as a whole is used to using
Old 06-26-2014, 09:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ColeGartner View Post
When I run outdoors on asphalt its only rubber tires, no questions asked. But when I run indoor carpet it switches every 2 or so years. Because its low traction people get frustrated with trying to find a setup to work and just decide for everyone its better to run foams.

Foams definitely have more traction. It puts more strain on the drivetrain. I find there is a wider range of a set-up that "will work." As with any class there is still a specific faster set-up, but to compete you don't have to have the perfect ride. Some downsides to foams is that they wear quickly. This requires constant checks and changes of setup to remain at the same ride height, droop, and camber etc. It is more intensive from this aspect as all of the above can drastically change after 1 or 2 runs. Fortunately, my club doesn't true the foam tires down, so they last a good 2-3 seasons depending on how much they chunk and if you don't break rims.

Rubber tires have less traction. But once on the car they require few setup "updates" as they remain the same size/shape after each run. It is trickier to setup a rubber tire car on low grip carpet, and there is a narrow window between sliding and gripping the track. There are many compounds and brands of rubber tires, and this can lead to some confusion. It takes a while to find compounds that work. (When I race asphalt the track and drivers have matured so there is really only 2-3 tires that work- and you pick between those) But with the carpet, since the club is so back-and-forth, its very difficult to find a good tire. The cars slide much more and require a more "realistic" driving style. But with rubber on carpet the tires have a very long life! They hardly fall off in performance compared to asphalt tires. You run them until they are falling off the rim! And beyond that in my case with my good-old Sorex 20Rs! Still work with a glue side-wall because the tire has disintegrated! Best rubber tire I have found to work on our carpet.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JiuHaWong View Post
The B5 Mid motor guys are spending more than the car kit's price to lighten them up.
this is because they aren't thinking this stuff through. they are spending double the money on stuff they don't need. When I get a chance I'll show these yahoos how to lose weight in a cost effective manner.