Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Video Capture >

Video Capture

Video Capture

Old 01-27-2014, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default Video Capture

Looking to get more video of myself driving for analysis. Sometimes I get lucky and someone at the track takes a video and posts it. What do you guys do to get video?

Thinking about getting one of these. Anyone have something like this? Open to any brands. I just want video.
http://pivothead.com
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/04/p...tures-details/
Old 01-27-2014, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Description makes me think this is video from one.
http://youtu.be/HtLYGJ1gDbs
Old 01-27-2014, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I have seen some of the recordings from glasses, not necessarily this brand, I was surprised at the clarity.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shagino View Post
Looking to get more video of myself driving for analysis. Sometimes I get lucky and someone at the track takes a video and posts it. What do you guys do to get video?

Thinking about getting one of these. Anyone have something like this? Open to any brands. I just want video.
http://pivothead.com
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/04/p...tures-details/
I actually work at Pivothead. Just happend to be here browsing around and stumbled onto this.

I have the opposite problem. I have a pair of these and need to get my touring car setup quick to test it out. Haha.

If you got any questions just hit me up. I'd be glad to answer them.

Last edited by homerthefourth; 02-08-2014 at 01:55 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:13 AM
Tech Adept

Description makes me think this is video from one.
http://youtu.be/HtLYGJ1gDbs
Interesting. Hadn't seen this video before.

One thing to remember is that the closer the action is taking place to you, the more your eyes look down and not your actual forehead. Sometimes you miss the action the first few times you use them. Takes a little bit of learning.

We'll have some accessories that will fix this issue later.

I thought about trying to somehow get telemetry data onto the video like Indy cars do. That would make for some sweet analysis. I'd have to check to see if some of the radio companies have developer sdks that I can use to develop an app or pull in data into a video editing program.

If anything getting a pair would allow you to never hold a camera again. That's the sweet part.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by homerthefourth View Post
Interesting. Hadn't seen this video before.

One thing to remember is that the closer the action is taking place to you, the more your eyes look down and not your actual forehead. Sometimes you miss the action the first few times you use them. Takes a little bit of learning.

We'll have some accessories that will fix this issue later.

I thought about trying to somehow get telemetry data onto the video like Indy cars do. That would make for some sweet analysis. I'd have to check to see if some of the radio companies have developer sdks that I can use to develop an app or pull in data into a video editing program.

If anything getting a pair would allow you to never hold a camera again. That's the sweet part.
Thanks for the pointers. I ended up picking up a pair and watched the wife airbrush a lid. Started out well. Definitely need to learn to calibrate my camera recording.

That would be pretty awesome. Since you work on the SW side, what about even being able to mark start line and detect laps. If that could be done, I wonder if portion of the track analysis could be done over several laps. That's probably too much to ask. How about linking into the my laps site to get lap times and adding the lap times to the video?
Old 02-05-2014, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the pointers. I ended up picking up a pair and watched the wife airbrush a lid. Started out well. Definitely need to learn to calibrate my camera recording.

That would be pretty awesome. Since you work on the SW side, what about even being able to mark start line and detect laps. If that could be done, I wonder if portion of the track analysis could be done over several laps. That's probably too much to ask. How about linking into the my laps site to get lap times and adding the lap times to the video?
I'd try the macro focus feature for around arms length and fixed focus for anything outside of that. Autofocus is for when you want to focus on a specific distance and keep it there. Since cars come and go fixed would be best. However I have yet to test this with rc.

Its still a fairly small company and I work in a number of capacities. Software is in and around one of them. Can't say we are really focused on rc but there might be a way to make it work as one of my weekend projects. Let me look into this a little more and see what I might be able to do. Could be an interesting to say the least.

Don't be afraid to use them for everything. Once your brain starts turning you start to figure out you can record anything and everything without holding a camera. Kinda mind blowing. Not to mention in full 1080p.

Live streaming is on its way as well. You could potentially put a pair on the A main drivers at a major race and beam that to a massive tv live. Or to the web.

Hit me up if you got any questions.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by homerthefourth View Post
Live streaming is on its way as well. You could potentially put a pair on the A main drivers at a major race and beam that to a massive tv live. Or to the web.
I actually did think of that and how cool it would be. Thank you for your responses.

I just want to watch a race where I can see my car most of the time
Old 02-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This was the easiest, and most economical solution I came up with. It works with any of the typical point and shoot cameras with a video function and a tripod mount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkAFaOSrb7A

I have tons of vids on youtube. I like to go back and carefully, and sometimes painfully observe my driving. Its also fun to loan it to other drivers in classes I didn't race that day.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
This was the easiest, and most economical solution I came up with. It works with any of the typical point and shoot cameras with a video function and a tripod mount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkAFaOSrb7A

I have tons of vids on youtube. I like to go back and carefully, and sometimes painfully observe my driving. Its also fun to loan it to other drivers in classes I didn't race that day.
Nice. That totally would work. A little single purpose and not that stylish but function over form right?

If you ever feel the need to grab a pair of Pivotheads hit me up. I'll see if I can maybe get a group discount going for RCTECH.