Waste of rc money ... >

Waste of rc money ...

Like Tree1Likes

Waste of rc money ...

Old 10-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Waste of rc money ...

So , whats you biggest "RC off road waste of money"? Mine was $150.00 dollars worth of xray spare parts. Thought for sure I would be ahead of the game , it was such a good deal. Since then I have had to use 1 set of camber links, a 5.99 part. So thats $144.00 just sitting in a box ....
Old 10-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Testament of the quality of xray material. Just tell yourself that if you didn't get those extra parts, you would dns on race day.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wittyname View Post
So , whats you biggest "RC off road waste of money"? Mine was $150.00 dollars worth of xray spare parts. Thought for sure I would be ahead of the game , it was such a good deal. Since then I have had to use 1 set of camber links, a 5.99 part. So thats $144.00 just sitting in a box ....
Funny. I had the exact same scenario. Bought about $140 worth of Xray T4 parts and used one front camber link.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

LOL. I have several hundreds in XRAY parts. It is very rare that any part is needed, but if something does break, I don't have to wait to get back up and running. A couple of LHS have some xray parts, but it's impossible to rely on them to have whatever I might need, so I keep spares on hand, just in case. Same goes for electronics. I have spare ESCs, recievers, motors, transponder and even a backup transmitter. I'd prefer to avoid any possibility of having to go home early. Unfortunately, to have that extra insurance, it costs a bit of money and some people might consider that a waste, but I don't. It's like car or house insurance. You might never need it, but if you do need it, you'll be glad you have it.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

I don't want to call it wasted cause its what got me started in the hobby and it starts a lot of other people to, I spent around 1000$ on a brand new slash 2wd after upgrading it pretty heavily, once you know more about the hobby it's definitely not worth it seeing that my tekno was built brand new under 1000$ minus tx/rx
Old 10-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

It's not off road but it is RC. Heck it's not even mine but it's my best buddy's!

-Serpent 733 ($520 kit) ordered the day of release
-.12 Max Power racing engine ($200+)
-Spare parts and all available hop up and tuning parts enough to completely stiff the kit box and some ($too freaking much)

So kit assembly was finished but engine break-in was the next step but literally the next day our track closed. True story bro. lol The car became a hyper exotic basher.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Buying the latest speedos for my cars thinking it would make me faster. First Novak then tekin then LRP then Viper.... Thousands of dollars wasted only to find HW 2.1 stuff for 70-100 dollars per speedo works just as well and are more dependable.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Chiefy 707 View Post
It's not off road but it is RC. Heck it's not even mine but it's my best buddy's!

-Serpent 733 ($520 kit) ordered the day of release
-.12 Max Power racing engine ($200+)
-Spare parts and all available hop up and tuning parts enough to completely stiff the kit box and some ($too freaking much)

So kit assembly was finished but engine break-in was the next step but literally the next day our track closed. True story bro. lol The car became a hyper exotic basher.
Daaannnnggggg .....
Old 10-15-2013, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Derry View Post
Buying the latest speedos for my cars thinking it would make me faster. First Novak then tekin then LRP then Viper.... Thousands of dollars wasted only to find HW 2.1 stuff for 70-100 dollars per speedo works just as well and are more dependable.
I ran hobbywing first, now tekin...customer service and smoothness is why I'm willing to pay a little more, didn't expect to get faster from it...although hobbywing still performs great
Old 10-15-2013, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by XRated SCT View Post
I don't want to call it wasted cause its what got me started in the hobby and it starts a lot of other people to, I spent around 1000$ on a brand new slash 2wd after upgrading it pretty heavily, once you know more about the hobby it's definitely not worth it seeing that my tekno was built brand new under 1000$ minus tx/rx
I have a feeling there are more then a handful of $1g Slash's (or Ruslters) out there ....
Old 10-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

I have a feeling there are more then a handful of $1g Slash's (or Ruslters) out there ....
Oh I know there is, but bad investment seeing all the other options out there for the same price and knowing a lot could still be done after that
Old 10-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

How do I feel? I've got 2 of them! Still lots of fun though and keeps me out of trouble.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

You know , I wish some of the Pro guys on the boards would chime in on this... Might be some funny stories there.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I feel sorry for the people who want to get into the hobby and fall for the flashy Traxxas ads with the 40/50/60/70/etc MPH claims along with "the fastest name in RC" motto. I understand "I wanna go fast", but they show up to race and get their a$$e$ handed to them.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Biggest waste of money? The upgrade bug.

You see people swapping brands/chassis every other month. They fail to realize they'd be more consistent and faster if they put in some time with what they already have.
OffRoadJunkie likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.