Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Illegal 17.5 made to order for a price >

Illegal 17.5 made to order for a price

Illegal 17.5 made to order for a price

Old 08-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Tech Legend

Default Illegal 17.5 made to order for a price

Had a buddy E mail a motor company yesterday , told the motor company he needed a really fast motor and would pay ..

30 min later a returned E-mail saying will do for you . Will cost $160 though.
Was also informed the only way a tech could catch was with a volt ohm meter...

Very soon ...
Only way to get a fast spec motor will be to be part of the team that sells the motor ...

Not surprised to hear , this is similar to the what 27T brush became just before brushless took over ....

Old 08-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 373 (100%+)

Money talks !!!!
Old 08-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Had a buddy E mail a motor company yesterday , told the motor company he needed a really fast motor and would pay ..

Very soon ...
Only way to get a fast spec motor will be to be part of the team that sells the motor ...

Not surprised to hear , this is similar to the what 27T brush became just before brushless took over ....

Stock racers that cheat? Say it ain't so!

This was posted on another thread recently:

http://www.trinityrc.net/shop/index....product_id=498
Old 08-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

What's bad is that's them leaking stuff out to us to make more money cause they already have a faster combonation with the big blue stator and the 13.5mm rotor. after they sell a butt load of these at $150 each and they become the norm then they'll throw the 13.5mm rotor in it and call it the big blue badass maxzilla certified 5% or some crap like that... It's like everything else. Racers will always look for something faster and better... It's what we do.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Wow, a few guys were talking exactly about that today at the local carpet track. I was listening but offered no comment. I was in too much disbelief.

Also, for racers to cheat like that. They should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I'm really surprised that a company is will ing to do it in the first place. Besides if you have to go as far as cheating then racing wouldn't be about having a good time, just proving your the best. (Which you wouldn't be because you cheated)
This is all in general, not pointing fingers
Old 08-04-2013, 07:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

At the club races, a few guys at my speed or slightly faster are a bit slower at bigger races. Kind of makes me wonder if they do something at the club race that is questionable at the big races. Granted that they run newer equipment all the time, especially tires. I don't run new everything hardly ever. Maybe that's why my progress is very slow but does improve a bit once on a while.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
I'm really surprised that a company is will ing to do it in the first place. Besides if you have to go as far as cheating then racing wouldn't be about having a good time, just proving your the best. (Which you wouldn't be because you cheated)
This is all in general, not pointing fingers
"If it's worth winning it's worth cheating." - W.C. Fields

This has been a problem since the dawn of time. In any competition someone will look for an advantage over their opponent, even if it means breaking the rules. Just look at the A-Rod scenario.

And many people will do it and not consider it cheating. "Hey, I'm just taking advantage of the rules" is what you hear often. Forget the spirit of the rules that are trying to keep things going, winning is the only thing that matters. A hobby shop owner friend of mine has always said RC racing is all about ego's.

Electric is the easiest class to cheat in because of how hard it is to check. And any advantage, no matter how slight, shows up big on the track. Add to that the very weak rules enforcement, and you can see how big a problem this is.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml View Post
"If it's worth winning it's worth cheating." - W.C. Fields

This has been a problem since the dawn of time. In any competition someone will look for an advantage over their opponent, even if it means breaking the rules. Just look at the A-Rod scenario.

And many people will do it and not consider it cheating. "Hey, I'm just taking advantage of the rules" is what you hear often. Forget the spirit of the rules that are trying to keep things going, winning is the only thing that matters. A hobby shop owner friend of mine has always said RC racing is all about ego's.

Electric is the easiest class to cheat in because of how hard it is to check. And any advantage, no matter how slight, shows up big on the track. Add to that the very weak rules enforcement, and you can see how big a problem this is.
And this is why we need Roar & diligent race directors..you guys KNOW who's bending (out right cheaters) the rules..it's up to us racers who are playing by the rules to step up and say something..don't be passive aggressive..but don't mistake being "fast/good driver with cheating..in my experience "most" who are "bending the rules" are the middle of the pack racers..trying to make up for lack of talent with HP..it is what it is..
Old 08-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Tech Legend

Oasis , we don't need Roar .

They are the very reason this has been occurring sense they made stock a National class of theirs ...

What we need ?

Is a seal spec motor that is slow enough for a beginner to drive ...

IE : Like Ernie(Trinity) has being trying to tell all of us years ago ...
Old 08-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Oasis , we don't need Roar .

They are the very reason this has been occurring sense they made stock a National class of theirs ...

What we need ?

Is a seal spec motor that is slow enough for a beginner to drive ...

IE : Like Ernie(Trinity) has being trying to tell all of us years ago ...
It's ROAR's fault for manufacturers making cheater motors and people running them? While I agree that stock should be a sealed motor, slowed down, and with approvals done once a year, the current "stock" drivers will cry about it being too slow.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

V
I carry one of those in the trunk all the time................
Old 08-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
It's ROAR's fault for manufacturers making cheater motors and people running them? While I agree that stock should be a sealed motor, slowed down, and with approvals done once a year, the current "stock" drivers will cry about it being too slow.

Roars 27T had the same problems , they never changed or made improvements .O Look ! 17.5 is even worst !!!!

Excuss's ??? More like $$$$ in my pocket & its all good
They just look the other way ...
Old 08-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

There's a big difference between calling a manufacturer saying "build me a cheater motor that looks exactly the same as the one on the ROAR approved list", then running that motor at a ROAR event, and a manufacturer openly saying "it's a 17.5 but for obvious reasons it doesn't meet their (ROAR) specs and isn't legal".

For a manufacturer to make "under the table" cheater motors is disgusting but I don't doubt it's possible. I'm sure the consequences for getting caught doing so would be steep!

This is EXACTLY why every track should use an approved motor list, whether it's ROAR's or not. Especially in spec turn blinky classes. Meaning, what's the point of running a spec turn if it's full of these "tweaked" motors? Not the cheater motors, the openly advertised "outlaw" motors

the stuff some people post just amazes me sometimes

Last edited by racer1812; 08-04-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Tech Legend

Amazing ?

Just go to any recent big event and be
amazed how fast some in spec are going ...

Will be, heck already is , like with the 27T

Only way to get a so called fast spec motor will be to be a team driver for the motor company .....

The guys that buy legit will be slow ....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.