Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
How to grow the RC racing community? >

How to grow the RC racing community?

How to grow the RC racing community?

Old 06-03-2013, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default How to grow the RC racing community?

I have had this conversation with a few people lately. Since RC racing is not a mainstream "sport" and does not get a lot of mainstream attention .. what are some ideas to get more people involved?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by masher81 View Post
I have had this conversation with a few people lately. Since RC racing is not a mainstream "sport" and does not get a lot of mainstream attention .. what are some ideas to get more people involved?
1. Stop allowing Traxxas to advertise and get racing companies advertising.

2. Use satalite TV to bring people more aware.

Thats what I can think of
Old 06-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

I have always found it weird that Traxxas was the only company I have seen a T.V. ad for.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've never seen a Traxxas TV ad, I must be watching the wrong channels.

To the question at hand:

We need more parking lot racing. Indoor racing is cool and provides a controlled environment but it hides the hobby from everyone. Tracks need to be outside and visible to as many people as possible. Hiding it on some back road/lot 15 minutes from a main highway doesn't do much to promote it. I understand that real estate in most areas is as a premium but the biggest thing not growing the hobby is lack of visibility.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by EricW View Post
I've never seen a Traxxas TV ad, I must be watching the wrong channels.

To the question at hand:

We need more parking lot racing. Indoor racing is cool and provides a controlled environment but it hides the hobby from everyone. Tracks need to be outside and visible to as many people as possible. Hiding it on some back road/lot 15 minutes from a main highway doesn't do much to promote it. I understand that real estate in most areas is as a premium but the biggest thing not growing the hobby is lack of visibility.

Usually on SPEED. I always see them at least 3 times while watching Supercross.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've always thought it's a very particular and relatively rare sort of person who is involved in this hobby/sport/discipline (I never really know what to call it) for the long haul.

I've thought about it a lot over the years. Partly because no matter where I live and race I keep meeting such similar people and personalities.
The main reason I think (and sincerely hope) rc racing will never be "mainstream" is because the RC racer (regardless of how fast) is extremely unlikely to carry much- if any sex appeal. There's no fitness, danger or Xtreme tag attached and even the top racers make relatively little money.

It's difficult, competitive, expensive and only for the mechanically minded. In my observations, good drivers are not only talented but also very smart, sensitive people so bogans can't figure out how to win or even be competitive- hence are short-lived at the track. These qualities combined with the Xtreme lack of sex appeal is what i feel continues to make RC racing unpopular with the dumbass masses which is one of the reasons i like it so much. WHo wants to go racing and listen to these douchebags talk about sofa units and string green stripe patterns? Not I.

The pleasure and rewards are all personal which is not nearly enough for most people.

But it's just me, and I could be wrong...
Old 06-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I always have my drifter with me, and run it everywhere I go....ppl always ask me stuff and I am just like yeah, google rc racing lol
Old 06-03-2013, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by swarf View Post
I've always thought it's a very particular and relatively rare sort of person who is involved in this hobby/sport/discipline (I never really know what to call it) for the long haul.

I've thought about it a lot over the years. Partly because no matter where I live and race I keep meeting such similar people and personalities.
The main reason I think (and sincerely hope) rc racing will never be "mainstream" is because the RC racer (regardless of how fast) is extremely unlikely to carry much- if any sex appeal. There's no fitness, danger or Xtreme tag attached and even the top racers make relatively little money.

It's difficult, competitive, expensive and only for the mechanically minded. In my observations, good drivers are not only talented but also very smart, sensitive people so bogans can't figure out how to win or even be competitive- hence are short-lived at the track. These qualities combined with the Xtreme lack of sex appeal is what i feel continues to make RC racing unpopular with the dumbass masses which is one of the reasons i like it so much. WHo wants to go racing and listen to these douchebags talk about sofa units and string green stripe patterns? Not I.

The pleasure and rewards are all personal which is not nearly enough for most people.

My observations have been the same. I think golf is a decent comparison as far as difficulty is concerned but people keep going back for more punishment. I agree that RC racing is not for everyone, but i think there are a lot of people out there that would get involved if they knew how.. or even knew that it was a thing.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Also, I think that many of us could agree that RC racing is not very spectator friendly. To the layman, it would appear to be chaotic and not make much sense. I wonder if there is a way to make the sport/hobby easier to follow for the common person.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Suspended

Also, I think that many of us could agree that RC racing is not very spectator friendly. To the layman, it would appear to be chaotic and not make much sense. I wonder if there is a way to make the sport/hobby easier to follow for the common person.
Like RD's saying what each class is if there are novice, intermediate, or the pros. I heard a few spectators say that at this years Cactus Classic.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Tech Prophet

RC racing is much more Enteraining than Golf omg im shocked that Golf is even that popular if it really even is. I dont think it needs to be on Tv nessasary it just needs to be out in the open. And saying you need to spend $1000 to start out which you dont does not help just to race at a local level thats a big factor.

But there needs to be more new blood coming to the track to race somehow this year weekend to weekend i been noticeing its been declining with certain classes and just people coming period.

I think having a Sportsman class is just a bad idea its been done before all it does is promote sandbagging. Now Novice i agree is not bad all at to have if people show up.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

I agree with the golf thing. I know here where I live they have the memorial tournament everyear.... And the town goes nuts! I agree with the decline, that is why I am Asking.. How can we as racing get more people involved?
Old 06-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Tech Prophet

I agree with the golf thing. I know here where I live they have the memorial tournament everyear.... And the town goes nuts! I agree with the decline, that is why I am Asking.. How can we as racing get more people involved?

I really dont know its hard . First thing is not to say that you need top equitment and spend close to $1000 to race Club style When there is much cheaper but not bad quality things out there for Electric at leased.

Second is not to say to start out, with 1/8 scale if somebody is planning on racing outdoors 4x4 SC is a better and a little cheaper or start out with 2wd SC if there track has a class for it.

Third is maybe most important is to convince them to be scared off with other racers who been racing for a while and just go out and have fun and learn.

Now Keeping new racers to come back and race is a diffrent story.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
RC racing is much more Enteraining than Golf omg im shocked that Golf is even that popular if it really even is. I dont think it needs to be on Tv nessasary it just needs to be out in the open. And saying you need to spend $1000 to start out which you dont does not help just to race at a local level thats a big factor.

But there needs to be more new blood coming to the track to race somehow this year weekend to weekend i been noticeing its been declining with certain classes and just people coming period.

I think having a Sportsman class is just a bad idea its been done before all it does is promote sandbagging. Now Novice i agree is not bad all at to have if people show up.
Golf is all business.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by swarf View Post

I agree with pretty much everything you said. The reason why there is only a small pool of regular racers, is that they have the wits and understanding to keep this hobby going. If you don't understand how things work at very detailed levels, you're gonna have a hard time being successfull. I agree that this generation seems to lack an attention span for this sort of thing, and that a lot of people have a "it didn't work so throw it away and buy a new one" mindset instead of a "ok, that didn't work, now i'm gonna learn from my mistake and fix it" mentality. When i let my peers know this is what i do for fun, they either laugh or criticize me for playing with "toy cars". They fail to realize how enjoyable and complex these vehicles really are. I think i'm the minority when i say that i hope this hobby DOES NOT become mainstream. Call it selfish, but i'd rather have fellow racers that respect this hobby and commit to a better rc community overall, not some joe blow dude that only cares about how fast it goes. Also, the sheer price of these things puts most people off. People's expressions when they see how much a fully race ready e-buggy costs is priceless.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.