R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Chat Lounge (https://www.rctech.net/forum/chat-lounge-9/)
-   -   Biggest RC Product FLOP?? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/chat-lounge/72857-biggest-rc-product-flop.html)

403forbidden 05-19-2005 11:04 PM

nevermind

I was asked to edit this thread

McSmooth 05-20-2005 06:17 AM

That's OK, I like the concept of this thread.

A couple that come to mind right away:

The Paragon On-Board Comm Drop pack (I forget the actual name for it). It was a small plastic bottle with a tube and needle that was to be positioned near your motor. This device would 'apply' a comm drop to your motor intermittently during the race.

The Hyperdrive: the belt drive system designed for electric cars. (long before they made their own car). Problem was, to make this work, you needed either 1 of 2 things. Either have a motor that ran backwards, or you had to have the ability to put this device on the left side of your car, instead of the right.

Nova F1 Racer 05-20-2005 06:41 AM

Trinity's T-spec, great concept, great idea...
No parts support, no real good specs and dead and buried....

Mabuchi540 05-20-2005 06:47 AM

I had the hyperdrive.....

Quote:

The Hyperdrive: the belt drive system designed for electric cars. (long before they made their own car). Problem was, to make this work, you needed either 1 of 2 things. Either have a motor that ran backwards, or you had to have the ability to put this device on the left side of your car, instead of the right.
on my RC10 it was awesome in 540 stock where it didn't matter which way you ran the motor. :nod:

Nova F1 Racer 05-20-2005 06:53 AM

Almost forgot.... Some time back a company made a 2 speed for electric cars. Never caught on....

Fastfreddy74 05-20-2005 06:58 AM

Rally cars and mini touring cars...

academygaz 05-20-2005 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nova F1 Racer
Almost forgot.... Some time back a company made a 2 speed for electric cars. Never caught on....
Yeah, HPI did that. I really wanted it , but it was about 45 when it was new.

Biggest Flop? How about the HPI Pro3...... :lol: Literally!

PizzaDude 05-20-2005 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nova F1 Racer
Simply because it was banned.
It had a major advantage on some tracks. Especially in spec / stock races....

Tres 05-20-2005 07:11 AM

Original Emaxx ESC......

They took care of them, but was a pain!

I saw dozens of them go POOF!!!
and release the magic smoke within the first few minutes of running them.

Lonestar 05-20-2005 07:23 AM

Definitely the Tamiya Avante... superb concept, awfully expensive, but worthless on the track with a 0.5in ground clearance. Makes a good paperweight though...

wait a sec... now it's a huge collector's item... go figure!

acutts 05-20-2005 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by academygaz
Yeah, HPI did that. I really wanted it , but it was about 45 when it was new.

Biggest Flop? How about the HPI Pro3...... :lol: Literally!

Yip I will second that ..... you had to change almost the whole car to make it competitive ....

rc-zombies 05-20-2005 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by McSmooth

A....

I still have this on my 10L pan car. car ran very smooth...back in the day. I had the optional left side motor pod that work great with the system.

Ozwald Bates 05-20-2005 09:42 AM

Ooooh, the Avanti. I hadn't thought about that thing in forever. It made a good dirt oval car back in the day though.

pony klr 05-20-2005 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by McSmooth

A couple that come to mind right away:

The Paragon On-Board Comm Drop pack (I forget the actual name for it). It was a small plastic bottle with a tube and needle that was to be positioned near your motor. This device would 'apply' a comm drop to your motor intermittently during the race.

DAMN IT MC BRIDE THAT WAS MY IDEA!

pony klr 05-20-2005 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ozwald Bates
Ooooh, the Avanti. I hadn't thought about that thing in forever. It made a good dirt oval car back in the day though.

I HAD AN ADVANTI ran fast on carpet oval and fuel tubing in the shocks!