Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Tire Pressure Monitor System >

Tire Pressure Monitor System

Tire Pressure Monitor System

Old 03-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Default Tire Pressure Monitor System

Any experts out there? I have a 07 GMC Z71 and recently "Re-Learned" tire positions which seemed to go well. Soon after, 'Service TPMS System" light came on. Any ideas?
Old 03-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Pot hole?

Normally that is the culprit once you hit them...
Old 03-24-2013, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Look in your manual, most likely it involves releasing pressure from each tire so they can be recognized to where they are now located.

Im no expert, I just recently got new tires on my wife's buick enclave and had the same dilemma.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Most likely a sensor went or is going bad. After about one year the batteries in the sensors go weak. Do you notice if the message shows up when it's cold outside? If so, a weak sensor could be the problem.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by GundamWZero View Post
Pot hole?

Normally that is the culprit once you hit them...
Possible since I drive in Houston everyday, But it came on immediately after relearning tire position.

Originally Posted by Slo_E4 View Post
Look in your manual, most likely it involves releasing pressure from each tire so they can be recognized to where they are now located.
Im no expert, I just recently got new tires on my wife's buick enclave and had the same dilemma.
Have tried that procedure twice and get the honk that is suppose to mean op was a success.

Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague View Post
Most likely a sensor went or is going bad. After about one year the batteries in the sensors go weak. Do you notice if the message shows up when it's cold outside? If so, a weak sensor could be the problem.
On constantly, flashes for a few minutes then goes solid.

Everything else still works- door locks/unlocks and remote start.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Since it happened immediately, id imagine the procedure was not a success, even though you got the honks... Could be one of them is going bad. I'd try the procedure again, and if fails take it to a tire kingdom or something.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

If the horn honks while releasing tire pressure during the relearn for each tire, than all sensors are operating.

I'm assuming you are setting up the relearn correctly? Horn should honk twice, and relearn active should be on the dash. Let air out of LF wheel until horn honks once, move to RF let air out wait for honk, RR let air out wait for honk, LR let air out wait for honk twice and dash should say relearn complete/success/ something like that? Cycle the ignition to off, and start the truck and tire positions should be learned.

Have you checked the spare tire pressure? Vehicles can have a sensor in the spare as well.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:18 AM
Tech Regular

I have not checked the spare. I have repeated the "Relearn" procedure three times per the manual and get confirmation at each tire. Not that big of a deal really, I just hate looking at the light.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by poppa_duce View Post
I have not checked the spare. I have repeated the "Relearn" procedure three times per the manual and get confirmation at each tire. Not that big of a deal really, I just hate looking at the light.
You probably have a bad sensor. I had the same issue with my work truck.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 View Post
You probably have a bad sensor. I had the same issue with my work truck.
A sensor can't be bad if he gets confirmation honk at each tire.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've had this issue very recently where it wouldn't relearn the tire pressure sensors. My problem was in the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR). Your tire pressure readings pass through this sensor even though your key fobs work fine. I had to take it to the dealer so the GM guy can hook up his Tech2 machine to make the RCDLR relearn the tire pressure sensors. That was $80 of fun. If you figure it out without having to use a Tech2 machine, please let me know!