Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Whatever happened to my favourite RC class? >

Whatever happened to my favourite RC class?

Whatever happened to my favourite RC class?

Old 11-10-2012, 06:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Whatever happened to my favourite RC class?

I'm a seasoned racer who knows that people will show interests in different racing classes. Back in '89 it was off road buggies, then it was 1/8 nitro and then 1/10 nitro. Then Drift was all the rage together with mini-z racing. Now its back to 1/10 electric sedan and then a sudden surge in 1/8 nitro buggy and 1/8 EP buggy.

Who has the most hardcore 1/10 4wd buggy racers? I'm not starting a brand war of Losi vs AE vs Kyosho vs Tamiya vs Durango vs Schumacher. But if i wanted to offload a brand new assembled TRF511 who would be able to take it off my hands?

I think my post got lost in the SEA forums and the global forums of the 'FOR SALE' things, but can anyone help me or at least point me to someone who may want a TRF511? I'm positive i wouldnt be able to race / tinker / upgrade as being a new father is a bigger priority. What would you do to sell off the buggy? Tried ebay and local sales forums but not a single bite or email of interest...

(Help?)
Old 11-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Don't sell your stuff just because you have kids now! Everybody needs an escape or something to do other than just being a father. My oldest is 14 now and he is into the RC stuff too. Get them started and involved in your interests at a young age. Younger the better!

I really loved the 2WD buggy class. Nobody has them in my area though. I also loved the nitro 1/10 stadium truck class. Electric too. Nobody does those any more either. Short course is close to it I guess. Things change.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by KC10Chief View Post
Don't sell your stuff just because you have kids now! Everybody needs an escape or something to do other than just being a father. My oldest is 14 now and he is into the RC stuff too. Get them started and involved in your interests at a young age. Younger the better!

I really loved the 2WD buggy class. Nobody has them in my area though. I also loved the nitro 1/10 stadium truck class. Electric too. Nobody does those any more either. Short course is close to it I guess. Things change.
I still have my vontage Serpent specs 2000 and my shepherd v8, so hopefully i can get back to running them my daughter is old enough. hope she wont find the engines too loud!
Old 11-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Tech Champion

I recently became a father too. For several months I couldn't race. I keep all my RC stuff at my shop, so every time I happened to glance at it, I felt like it was a waste of space. What good is it if you can't use it?

Well, fast forward to recently. I finally got the opportunity to get back out the track. I'm so glad I kept all my equipment. I was a little rusty at first, but today I TQ'd and won the Main. If I'd sold my stuff, I'd be sitting at home counting down the days to the release of Black Ops 2. Video Games can only be so fulfilling. Hanging out with the folks at the track and spotting for the other classes is as fun as its ever been.

Once my son is old enough, I'm sure he'll be out there racing with me. For now, I have one of those baby straps that attaches him to my chest. He gets to see everything I do. He's a big hit at the track too. Many of the other drivers are parents as well, and its always fun for both of us to see them react to him.

Be patient, even cars that are a little older can be competitive. So when you finally DO get a chance, you can dust them off, maybe pick up some batteries, and GO RACE!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
I recently became a father too. For several months I couldn't race. I keep all my RC stuff at my shop, so every time I happened to glance at it, I felt like it was a waste of space. What good is it if you can't use it?

Well, fast forward to recently. I finally got the opportunity to get back out the track. I'm so glad I kept all my equipment. I was a little rusty at first, but today I TQ'd and won the Main. If I'd sold my stuff, I'd be sitting at home counting down the days to the release of Black Ops 2. Video Games can only be so fulfilling. Hanging out with the folks at the track and spotting for the other classes is as fun as its ever been.

Once my son is old enough, I'm sure he'll be out there racing with me. For now, I have one of those baby straps that attaches him to my chest. He gets to see everything I do. He's a big hit at the track too. Many of the other drivers are parents as well, and its always fun for both of us to see them react to him.

Be patient, even cars that are a little older can be competitive. So when you finally DO get a chance, you can dust them off, maybe pick up some batteries, and GO RACE!
That's really quite a coincidence as I got one of those baby carriers (red) that looks like a reversed parachute harness to carry my daughter around. she hasnt been to the track yet but the carrier and her a big attraction...in church...i dont know why

I am keeping the 1/8 nitro cars as these will definitely be a class i am picking up when things have settled down into a routine

And yes...i havent been getting enough sleep too
Old 11-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BigBellyCat View Post
That's really quite a coincidence as I got one of those baby carriers (red) that looks like a reversed parachute harness to carry my daughter around. she hasnt been to the track yet but the carrier and her a big attraction...in church...i dont know why

I am keeping the 1/8 nitro cars as these will definitely be a class i am picking up when things have settled down into a routine

And yes...i havent been getting enough sleep too
My son is a big flirt. Everywhere we go he locks eyes with some woman, and boom... he's got another girlfriend.

Take her out there once, not intending to race. Just bring a car or something, and see if she won't wig out while you try to drive. My kid likes watching. We even spot for 10th scale during practice sometimes, he loves that!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Last edited by nv529; 11-15-2012 at 10:29 AM.