Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
give up rc for your family >

give up rc for your family

give up rc for your family

Old 03-16-2005, 09:59 AM

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have skiped some days of school or left early so i could get to a race! i just couldent miss it! LOL
Old 03-16-2005, 12:11 PM
Tech Addict

yes i have i refuse to work weekends .
Old 03-16-2005, 03:40 PM
Tech Addict

It's tougher in my job, because I'm a travelling consultant so I'm only home Sat. - Sun. which makes it very hard to work on my cars and go racing since I can't work on them during the week.

But, I need the money to go racing and do other things so it's kind of a catch - 22.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Tech Addict

the reason why i asked this question was . my wife had five operatoinsin a row . i had to take care of her .she had tubes coming out of her body & also lost her job .. just wanted to see if anybody else would do this ..
Old 03-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by never lift
the reason why i asked this question was . my wife had five operatoinsin a row . i had to take care of her .she had tubes coming out of her body & also lost her job .. just wanted to see if anybody else would do this ..
Dude, wtf? Of course you need to take care of her and put some after run in you engine(s) or sell 'em if you need the cash for your family. When life calms down again there will always be r/c. I haven't had much time for my hobby at this point in life because we are starting a family. My third son was born 3/09. BUT my oldest is five and guess what he is into So I take him and my 21month old to the track and bought my oldest his own XXXT. In a few years we will be a team. There are always ups and downs in life and there will always be times where you have to get your priorities straight. That said I hope you aren't Terry Schaivo's husband...I would have different things to say to you!
Old 03-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Many of you have stated that family and gf's come first. Fine. Where does work fit in? Has anybody ever selected a different occupation / job because it would interfere with racing?
i had a job where weekends and friday nights had to we worked. i didnt quit, but i did get yelled at alot for not showing up on sundays or friday nights.

from that point on any job i take has to have at least two nights in the week off that i can go racing. the ability to leave early is also a plus lol.

right now im getting my real estate lisence, so ill be an independant contractor(spelling), so you know i wont be making apointments on race days, and maybe ill finally get to go watch or participate in some big sanctioned races
Old 03-17-2005, 11:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

i would........no question about it
Old 03-18-2005, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

my wife and friends think once i have a kid that i will have to give up rc but i say no i just get to buy new stuff and do the hand me down thing with the old stuff.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by mstng87gt
my wife and friends think once i have a kid that i will have to give up rc but i say no i just get to buy new stuff and do the hand me down thing with the old stuff.
It all depends on how involved you want to be as a father. My dad and I were not very close and it is a difficult memory for me. I choose to be fairly involved so my evenings during the week are busy until the kids are in bed. Then if I can stay awake I will either get on the forums or go out into the garage to wrench a little. My 5 yr old son is just getting to the point where he can help work on stuff and not be irritating (losing screws, taking tools). Now that there is a new baby I have to take more care of the other two so my wife can tend to the baby or get rest. I even cook once in a while.
I am pretty much resigned to the fact that I have to there more for my family and less for myself. It is the responsible thing to do and will avoid the "D" bomb. Once things calm down I can get into it more, and enjoy it more, by involving and teaching my sons about our hobby.
As far as buying new stuff, just make certain your family is well supported first, then go crazy!
Old 03-18-2005, 08:34 AM
Tech Addict

in no way am i Terry Schaivo's husband i would never do that to her . the last tube was just removed yesterday . and she can return to work in three weeks .so i guess i dodged the bullet there. .
Old 03-21-2005, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Post Family First !!!

I would !! Family is first in my book .. I would hate to give it up but Some things are more Important .....
Old 03-21-2005, 10:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally posted by MarkA
Ditto...

If you're talking about giving up RC to help fund your mom's cancer treatment as an example, I'd do it in an instant.

If it's a girlfriend who just doesn't like RC, no way - find someone who will accept that you should have the freedom to have a hobby you enjoy.

If it's your wife who wants the money to buy more shoes instead then, wow, did you screw up at the altar...
I agree.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My Wife Hates RC Cars! Because after Getting Whooped on Sundays I always Come home and Get out the Jack D and Beat my Dog around the house. But if I win we have Taco time.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by never lift
For this I would,for a girlfriende their is no way I would,unless she's going to give up shopping.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:56 PM
Tech Addict

I always Come home and Get out the Jack D and Beat my Dog around the house. But if I win we have Taco time.
well one day that dog is going to eat super kibble and kick your butt .lol dude don't beat the dog just beat your meat