Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
The Great Magazine Poll >

The Great Magazine Poll

View Poll Results: What is your favorite RC vehicles magazine?
Radio Control Car Action (RCCA)
18.97%
Xtreme RC Cars (XRC)
48.07%
R/C Car
6.26%
RC Driver
18.78%
RC Nitro
1.47%
Radio Control Car Racer (UK)
1.84%
RC World (Japan)
4.60%
Voters: 543. You may not vote on this poll

The Great Magazine Poll

Old 01-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
Reviews are adds, you may notice there are never reviews of manufacturers product not advertised someplace in the magazine, or at the very least some type of add from the same manufacturer.

No pay, no product review.

I think they mostly do a fair job of bringing up small issues, without burning their advertisers much at all.

Like most of the world, you scratch my back, I scratch yours. Nothing Evil, just business and buyers should be aware by now.

imo...
I like RC Driver and Exreme, RCCA seems more like a RTR catalogue now.

...Jim

Reviews are not ads, there are reviews of from companies that don't advertise in any magazine in just about all of them. There wouldn't be any new advertisers if magazines only reviewed product that is advertised.

Why do you see more reviews of products that are from advertisers? Because they develope a relationship and probably are more active in the industry.

If given the choice to review a product that an advertiser has, or one that is similar to a non-advertiser it's simple to understand which gets the review.

But the implication of reviews are ads are false. Some magazines may fluff things more, but I'm not sure why racers think everything in the world sucks.

There are some products that aren't that great, there are products that simply don't get reviewed because there is nothing good to say about them. BUt point of view is important. As I've stated before, my first car was a Tamiya Falcon...by my standard of today...probably horrible. But as a 12 year old...simpy the best thing I've ever owned. Is it fair today to review "cheaper' or non race oriented cars from the eyes of a 31 year old or as a kid opening his first kit?

But as stated many times before, I'd like to see what people think are so bad, and why you would choose to focus on the negative of kits. They all have them, but are they bad enough to say "this things sucks?" I'm not sure.

But I'll be the first to admit that since advertising is a way to make money for magazines, they are a customer of the magazine and they do get priority, but that doesn't buy you into the magazine. Readers are the first priority, and that is ours. I've gotten many angry calls, and emails about reviews over the years.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Suspended

RCCA is out for money, XRC seems to have the money with some ads but has great content, i mean enough is enough. every other page is traxxas in RCCA. lol we already know you have a revo out.. come on.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Tech Addict

i've been beating this dead horse for a while, but perhaps one day someone may get it.

why are there no long term reviews? why is it always an initial product test then nothing? I understand that there are tons of products to review but in all honesty i'm sure there is more left in the magazine for a further write up of a car/truck to give their current line-up continued exposure. if companies are the main customer of mags then i would assume they would love to get their products for a long term test instead of 1 or 2 day track test then into a magazine for a month.

XRC, while not perfect IMO, deserves credit for setting the bar higher and obliterating the unworthy toilet paper that is RCCA. They are testing engines for EACH car, giving an actual review (y'know, positive and negative criticism, something RCCA has not grasped). And they do it with some humor, which is nice since this is supposed to be a hobby.

Please just post a tiny long term review like Road and Track once in a while, and i'll be happy to know that you guys still continue testing and giving feedback after the initial trials.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

Because there are too many cars to run long term. Each of us at the office run a few cars all the time...all of them no. Long term test at Full Scale magazines are done by a group and over a long period. If we waited a year to test a Tamiya kit by the time we did any length of testing it would be replaced. And a manufacturer doesn't want to have old product in the mag when there is new.

I'd love to get a long term setup...in fact that is why I started our READER REVIEW section on our forum that would allow lots of people to comment on the same product...but for whatever reason it doesn't get much traffic.

It's something that all magazines want to do, its just not really possible. Driver does a little thing like that, and we've done it in the past. But it always seems to be the same vehicles.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by icon
i've been beating this dead horse for a while, but perhaps one day someone may get it.

why are there no long term reviews? why is it always an initial product test then nothing? I understand that there are tons of products to review but in all honesty i'm sure there is more left in the magazine for a further write up of a car/truck to give their current line-up continued exposure. if companies are the main customer of mags then i would assume they would love to get their products for a long term test instead of 1 or 2 day track test then into a magazine for a month.

XRC, while not perfect IMO, deserves credit for setting the bar higher and obliterating the unworthy toilet paper that is RCCA. They are testing engines for EACH car, giving an actual review (y'know, positive and negative criticism, something RCCA has not grasped). And they do it with some humor, which is nice since this is supposed to be a hobby.

Please just post a tiny long term review like Road and Track once in a while, and i'll be happy to know that you guys still continue testing and giving feedback after the initial trials.
How many cars actually stay the same as when they first come out?
Thicker decks, upgraded arms, steering blocks/etc....

A better article/idea might be what a car first looked like and what it is now..

Like the T2 and the T2007.... Or something really wild like Tamiya F2001 and a 3racing chassis and allthe hopups....
Old 02-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

My favorite magazine would have to bee Xtreme rc cars. Then rc car would be my 2nd favorite magazine and I do have to aggre with the rest of u rc car acation as way to many adds know. If they did not way to many adds then it would be a better magazine.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Tech Addict

i'm not saying "dont do the initial review". the first drive is important because it will give a good measure of potential of the vehicle and state some general strengths and weaknesses of that type. so i dont mean "wait a year" to do a review, but it would be nice to give a small write up like a few months after that initial drive when the full characteristics of the car has come out. XRC may not have a full group of test drivers to evaluate the car, but i'm sure there are plenty of people who can give qualified input for the car and can contribute to the magazine. that forum you have is a great idea, but not many desktop racers are qualified to give valuable insights that you can publish.

on top of that a long term review may give some different and more established classes some limelight and create interest. ex: 1/12th scale is a great driver's class. but the chassis designs are pretty much established and we usually dont see new designs for years (and even those may be another attempt at an older design philosphy). so if we dont see much race coverage of this class or a long term test of the established chassis', how can we promote this class in our the hobby? we can only do so if some of these other classes got more exposure.

either way i'm still very pleased with XRC's overall coverage with the races and product testing. keep up the good work.

nova:

that is exactly my point. after that initial review, what is happening to the car? is the chassis too stiff for asphault racing or are there enough optional gearing to suit different types of tracks? do the stock brakes need upgrading? how has the upgrades actually improved the car? further evaluation will help us readers be more informed about a car. thats all i'm saying.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:58 PM

Last edited by Mike Major; 02-15-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

just want to say i love xtreme rc mag
and its not just cuz of jeff but maybe his mom,
Old 05-04-2007, 04:51 AM
Tech Adept

i think Xtreme is the best as well. i like how they streamlined their reviews to include the same stats on every car they test no matter scale, nitro or electric.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

RCCA's good for me
Old 05-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

xtreme rc. all the way. its like maxim meets rc cars.. well, not really.. not enough girls in xtreme rc, and maxim is not written well. its like trash reading. xtreme rc is funny. sometimes i split my sides open reading the side bars.. the vertical text on each page.. also, it contains the most almost useful information for rc car racing. i love the articles they do on people, like tossolini, baker.. it really gives you a perspective on things. i like the reviews they do on cars... except they don't really say anything bad about the cars.. they must not want to lose advertisements.... and the guys that write and take pics and layout the mags... they are almost like the rest of us... i can relate to them better than the staff at the other mags.. and this magazine is not afraid to say what they want... and show what they want.. (except objective reviews on car kits..)

rc car action?? i made a mistake of subscribing to them years ago, and i still refuse to buy a single issue. their car reviews are the worst. have you actually read the words besides the super large pictures? sometimes a review will consist of about 15 pictures and 4 paragraphs... and wow.. advertising takes up more pages than the articles. i actually had some free time, and tore up one of their issues, dividing actual articles and advertisement into two piles. guess which pile was twice as big as the other? this magazine also seems aimed more towards beginners. i find almost no useful tips in it at all. oh. they recycle the tips every year i think...

rc driver mag is okay. high quality paper, photos, good general information... you can see a lot of work went into it... not as mature of a mag as xtreme or rcca, but they are getting there.. keep it up, guys. i'm just amazed at how many car reviews you all are able to cram into an issue. just cut out the boat reviews please..

rc car mag is another mag thats okay... i just have trouble finding the issues around here.. sucks they lost skinny...

just my thoughts..
Old 05-26-2007, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Me being an onroad loving racer i'm disappointed to see that there is hardly any coverage of onrad car kits!
Off road on the other hand has 95% of the contents devoted to them in all magazines
I used to buy them for all the good ideas, setup help articles and new gear reviews (for onroad ofcourse) which helped me out no end when i was starting out but offroad content now dominating magazine editions, my interest is mighty low so i dont have a vote for any of the magazines ATM
Come on editors!!! Give onroad more coverage!!!
P.S. Remember dirt is for gardens!!!!!!!!!
Just my 2 bob

Last edited by itchy b; 05-29-2007 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Regular

RC Car Action and Xtreme RC. They both have lots of race coverage
Old 06-26-2007, 10:07 AM
Tech Regular

Basically whatever magazine has the most RACING coverage is the one I like. It usually can change every month.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.