Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
rc driver magazine....profit center or news organization? >

rc driver magazine....profit center or news organization?

rc driver magazine....profit center or news organization?

Old 06-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I refuse to pay for my R/C industry news...so much more info available on blog/news sites like Neo and Red RC. Everything I see in all the mags is 1-2 month old product announcements.

I'll trust the opinions of any RCTech member/thread over the glorified reviews (get real, they are advertisements in disguise) you see in a mag.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hakmazter View Post
Ok, I just saw the buying guide they put out for this month for electric 1/8 buggies. Of course, Caster is not mentioned. They contact me monthly and I choose not to advertise with them, so basically the companies that do not advertise, do not exist in their pages. Personally I don't care, but how do you feel about a quote unquote journalistic information provider not mentioning companies who exist. There are several brands not mentioned. Basically it makes me question their journalistic integrity. How do you trust their review of the traxxas dragster if you know they do things like this?

Now I will say rc car action did do 2 reviews without us advertising.

It cost me almost $4000 to get our review with driver back in 2008.
I think you have pretty much ruined any future chances of getting a review with driver.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hakmazter View Post
Ok, I just saw the buying guide they put out for this month for electric 1/8 buggies. Of course, Caster is not mentioned. They contact me monthly and I choose not to advertise with them, so basically the companies that do not advertise, do not exist in their pages. Personally I don't care, but how do you feel about a quote unquote journalistic information provider not mentioning companies who exist. There are several brands not mentioned. Basically it makes me question their journalistic integrity. How do you trust their review of the traxxas dragster if you know they do things like this?

Now I will say rc car action did do 2 reviews without us advertising.

It cost me almost $4000 to get our review with driver back in 2008.
honestly i wouldn't worry too much about it. i believe it's probably a pretty small minority of people that get all of the RC info from print magazines. i see the people that get those mags as either: kids who want to buy it at the LHS who don't buy a lot of RC's anyway, or enthusiasts who get subscriptions as gifts from relatives because they know they're into RC who know what's what from being at the track and from the internet.

in a perfect world it wouldn't be like this and a legit contender like caster would get a fair shake, but this is far from a perfect world. like i said, i wouldn't stress too much and i certainly wouldn't be forced to get fleeced by these rags.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This was an Excerpt from a discussion about the new Traxxas magazine. and discussing RCCA.

Originally Posted by person
Sadly the days of Steve Pond and Chris Chianelli are long over.

I will not waste my money on Car Action ever. Biased magazine

MY Response:

(RIP Chris C)

I talk to Steve Pond on occasion and its fun to talk about the "old days" of RC. When he was the Editor at RCCA. Now he serves as ROAR pres. AND works at Kyosho. Still a good guy. He's been around a long time. Def.has the "roots" of RC at heart.

Originally Posted by Person2
they are all biased, they aren't allowed to give bad reviews because they are reviewing their advertisers products.

out of them all i find rc driver to be the best written.

Its funny, when I was in Chicago for Ihobby a few years ago, I remember talking to a couple of the Magazine guys. Being around as long as I have and meeting and knowing people in the industry you get a whole different feel.

The coolest guy from an RC magazine was Aaron Waldron (of the now defunct RCCar) magazine. He told me that he would get calls from different mfg if a bad review of said car came out. The purpose of a magazine is to sell advertising and the big companies that pay for space, shell out a LOT of $$ and of course want their S#!t NOT to stink. He told me about the losi Strike when it came out, all the other mags gave it a glowing reviews and his was marginal. He got a call from Losi chewing him out. Then later they called him and apologized and after reading his review, re-tooled stuff and made it better, hence why their new SC is better (supposedly).

Its hard to look at a mag for a couple reasons
1: outdated info- thanks to RedRC and TheBigRC as well as places like RCTech etc. There is no "Surprises" anymore. The days of Secret product testing (except for maybe Xfactory) are over because stuff gets leaked all the time.
2: Its still fun to flip thru pages, but with smart phones etc, you can scroll thru web pages while sitting on the crapper rather than a magazine.
3: Most of the magazines (not just RC) are advertising anyway. In some respects you see the Traxxas ads and sadly it sticks. Traxxas has become the "iPod" of RC. Everyone who comes into my shop asks "Do you carry Traxxas" because THAT'S the name you hear.

4: It IS one person's opinion. The articles I like are when several people with different experiences drive the same car. (See Short Course Shootout). In many cases, #s don't lie. Though you can flub #s (traxxas 100mph car for example) and make your Turd look golden.[/I]

I'm sure it was discussed, but what about the Traxxas magazine, wonder if AE, Losi, Durango, Kyosho, etc are allowed to advertise? Talk about pandering!

I know a person or 2 at RCD and they work very hard. It's not easy to write a UN-biased . We all have our favorite companies. Think about it, how many tracks around the US show heavy favoritism toward certain companies. If you favor a certain brand, and you were testing a competitor, wouldn't it be hard to say something is better than the brand you drive?

The people in print KNOW its dying. Look at some of the big magazines, NOT RC related. Its only a matter of time before its all digi format. but there IS something to be said about turning the pages of a glossy mag.

I haven't seen the issue, so I don't know about the other brands that ARE mentioned. As for not all brands making it into a magazine, I guess I could look at the # of sales and the type of distribution it has and the amount of sales. I don't think its simply a matter of "pay us and you'll see your name". Have you ever just sent a press release to a magazine about a product release? I guess I also look at other companies that might not be as mainstream, XTM, Redcat, Exceed, HSP, etc. yea some of those might be "cheap Chinese companies, but many of those are gaining ground (even advertising in RCCA and other mags BTW!!!)

Other than forums, what other forms of advertising do you have or is it all Word of mouth?

Just asking..... not trying to be insulting.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FUAddicts View Post
My question is, how does everything they review is always highly positive as a whole, with only minor negatives. Everything can't be great.. At some point they are going to get a turd with wheels,but will they say that?
Yeah. It's funny. I've got RCD for the past 4 years exactly how someone said. Gifts and through free subs when I've sent in pics. I've never seen below 3 or 3.5 stars out of 5 on anything they've reviewed. Something is going to suck, and the "big" manufacturers are just as likely to put junk on the market as the "small" companies.

At least be honest with the reviews. Some people solely rely on what they read to make their purchasing decisions. It will only hurt the hobby in the long run. Someone reads a very positive review on a POS, then they get turned off to the hobby because "the magazine said this is as good as it gets". At the end of the day, it is all about the mighty dollar.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stvnmccc View Post
I think you have pretty much ruined any future chances of getting a review with driver.
Incorrect, I commit to buy 3 months of 1/2 page ads minimum and I can get a glowing review also. That is the whole point. Janet calls me every other month asking if we have anything new and if we are ready to advertise. I am waiting for our sc truck. No point in advertising our current models in my opinion.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kja812 View Post
I refuse to pay for my R/C industry news...so much more info available on blog/news sites like Neo and Red RC. Everything I see in all the mags is 1-2 month old product announcements.

I'll trust the opinions of any RCTech member/thread over the glorified reviews (get real, they are advertisements in disguise) you see in a mag.
It's not just Caster that don't get reviewed but also kits like Jammin, Ofna, and Hoa Bo. I remember 2 years ago a magazine had a Short Course Show Down wanted to see reviews on the Ofna Nexx10 and Jammin SCRT and nevered mentioned. Found it kind of funny because I've seen so many people run those trucks and win.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

None of this should be news to anyone.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

One of the best reviewers I know of, isn't even a magazine. It is Ultimate R/C from Youtube. Yes, he does tend to lean more towards the basher market, but he seems to give an honest review. Same with Squirrel. Maybe we should send one of our cars the them Hak?
Old 06-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcboy1 View Post
One of the best reviewers I know of, isn't even a magazine. It is Ultimate R/C from Youtube. Yes, he does tend to lean more towards the basher market, but he seems to give an honest review. Same with Squirrel. Maybe we should send one of our cars the them Hak?
Totally true, Jang from Ultimate RC is the ONLY one that I've ever seen that does 100% honest reviews. Something that I like about when he reviews something that's Basher intended, he'll let you know. If you're looking to win races, this isn't the product for you, if you're looking to go 60 miles an hour and jump houses and not have to worry about exploding into a rain shower of parts, put a 3-cell in it and have fun. Those are the types of reviews he'll give. I remember one review (can't remember which product it was, but it was from one of the Chinese companies) Initially he loved it as a basher, said it was actually a lot of fun to drive, had the power and handling of it's US counterparts, but by the end of the review, the car was falling apart on him during even the smallest roll-overs, large jumps by this point were completely out of the question. He called them out on having a good enough design but it's materials we're terrible and broke. It was like driving an RC car made of thin glass. He's so honest that I think it rubs people the wrong way sometimes because people get so brand loyal that if they hear something that isn't glowing about their favored product, all of a sudden he's being biased, when it's the opposite. He's the only one who I know of who is completely unbiased.

I agree, if you want an unbiased of Caster Products, send him one. Maybe you can send him one of your SC's when they come out to get a true unbiased review, just make sure you give him setup tips, because lets face it, a reviewer doesn't have months of fine tuning to get it setup properly like a consumer would, so for best results, get him a very good baseline setup off the bat. Truth be told, more people probably watch his reviews than read bogus magazine ads, er, reviews anyway.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

When is the SC truck due out?
Old 06-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911 View Post
Totally true, Jang from Ultimate RC is the ONLY one that I've ever seen that does 100% honest reviews. Something that I like about when he reviews something that's Basher intended, he'll let you know. If you're looking to win races, this isn't the product for you, if you're looking to go 60 miles an hour and jump houses and not have to worry about exploding into a rain shower of parts, put a 3-cell in it and have fun. Those are the types of reviews he'll give. I remember one review (can't remember which product it was, but it was from one of the Chinese companies) Initially he loved it as a basher, said it was actually a lot of fun to drive, had the power and handling of it's US counterparts, but by the end of the review, the car was falling apart on him during even the smallest roll-overs, large jumps by this point were completely out of the question. He called them out on having a good enough design but it's materials we're terrible and broke. It was like driving an RC car made of thin glass. He's so honest that I think it rubs people the wrong way sometimes because people get so brand loyal that if they hear something that isn't glowing about their favored product, all of a sudden he's being biased, when it's the opposite. He's the only one who I know of who is completely unbiased.

I agree, if you want an unbiased of Caster Products, send him one. Maybe you can send him one of your SC's when they come out to get a true unbiased review, just make sure you give him setup tips, because lets face it, a reviewer doesn't have months of fine tuning to get it setup properly like a consumer would, so for best results, get him a very good baseline setup off the bat. Truth be told, more people probably watch his reviews than read bogus magazine ads, er, reviews anyway.
I agree completely. I believe this is the way to go Hak.
Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post
When is the SC truck due out?
By the end of this year hopefully. We are taking our time to make sure it is a phenomenal product.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Tech Master

There is a lot of politics and business in a hobby when it's your business.

There are affordable alternatives in advertising...we are one of them. But there are some funny comments in this thread, lol almost contradictory.

Lot's of people confusing "negative" as being "honest" the internet is full of people who want to say everything sucks to get "credibility"
Old 06-18-2012, 12:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

+1 on Jang and the reviews done on ULTIMATE RC.

Hey Derek, was the December 2011 issue of Xtreme RC its very last issue? Its really too bad you guys had to close shop... Best printed RC mag in my opinion.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by stu padasso View Post
WTF IS A CASTER?
NOW you've went & awakened the monster!

IF u dont know, WHY are YOU into the RC industry?

I so hate RCTech! So many "nay Sayers", bullshi**ers, etc.

When the 1st run Assoc. T4 1st came out, ALL the mags were "Its the BEST track associated EVER put out", etc, etc. It was absolute JUNK! Broke at every little hit, just like the 1.0 Losi 8ight which also got rave reviews. FORTUNATEY, like caster, each made revisions! NOW, (yes, including Team Caster) NOTHING BREAKS! Those of us with LOTS of spare parts NOW have enough to build another vehicle!

Magazines are $$$ HUNGRY! Therefore, whom-ever pays THEIR price, gets THEIR best opinions!

Pulease!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.