Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
RC Magazines are getting thinner >

RC Magazines are getting thinner

RC Magazines are getting thinner

Old 06-11-2012, 11:31 PM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default RC Magazines are getting thinner

I have been a long subscriber to RC Driver, well today I got my latest issue and i said to myself, man this thing seems thin. SO I went back and looked at some others. Each issue used to be 200 pages then dropped to 130, now its around 114. I know I know most info can be found online, I only renew when they have the $9.95 deals.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm pretty surprised there are any printed materials still surviving. Old habits die hard, and the generation that supported them is thinning and/or adapting to digital media.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

I miss mags...kindda hard to sit on the "throne" with the lap top. lol

Even when I had read about a race or new product online I still enjoyed reading the articles in some of the mags.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 186 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imprsme View Post

Even when I had read about a race or new product online I still enjoyed reading the articles in some of the mags.
Get a tablet/Ipad....or a smartphone lol

Yeah Mags will go the way of the dinosaur eventually, doesnt help that my local hobby shop charges like $10 each issue......f-that, no thanks.....
Old 06-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imprsme View Post

+1

the only reason i buy them is to read them on the throne.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

With digital, I find myself reading them once then forgetting about them. I would rather have a paper magazine any day over a digital.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rm25x View Post
With digital, I find myself reading them once then forgetting about them. I would rather have a paper magazine any day over a digital.
same here i had a 2 year subscription to xtreme rc and i have probably looked through maybe a 3rd of them in that time granted the wife cant throw them out but i would much rather have the print to read.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Mags on iPad is the way to go. I toss my RCCA as soon as it comes in as by the time mail gets to me I've already read the issue.

And besides - how many times can you read the same pandering articles and the same how to on building a tire wash tub?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

They are their own worst enemy. Charging over $2000 per page per month makes advertising next to impossible for the smaller rc companies to do, then to top it off, they will not do news for the brands who do not advertise.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

They already have too many ads in the first place...
Old 06-18-2012, 12:33 AM
Tech Master

Hey now.

Just wanted to chat about this since I've been in publishing and have started a new digital only RC Magazine.

First off magazines are not expensive to advertise in. The cost of producing a paper magazine is expensive, so just saying $2,000 is expensive is simply untrue. Go to a print shop and ask them to print stuff. It adds up.

Print is great. It's a break from computers. Some people like it, others don't. I like print better too, but to start a print magazine is a huge cost and risk, that right now I don't think people want.

The funny thing is we came out with digi only and I get asked all the time...can you print it.

Magazines should provide you with information, direction, education and entertainment. If you don't feel that they do, they aren't doing the right thing or you moved on.

There is a point in every "hobby" where the person thinks they seen/heard it all. And in a fixed hobby (it's all really repeated information since what is really new) it's easy to feel things get repeated, because they do. New people come in every day and never heard how to glue tires, paint something, or change oil.

But a good magazine should appeal to may levels of the hobby, and we hope that we feel that. The good thing about digital is we can make it affordable. The bad is that it now fights with everything you look at on your computer...where a paper magazine just fights for shelf space in the bathroom.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:03 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I remember 5-6 years ago, I was reading the same magazines 3-4 times in a month. Now, with all the R/C news sites, I still receive few R/C magazines at home but I no more read them because most of the times, this is old news or a reprinted HowTo. I just keep reading few reviews.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

A magazine shouldn't be "NEWS" it should be informative beyond what's new today. That's what the web does well. Instant news.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DerekB View Post
Hey now.

Just wanted to chat about this since I've been in publishing and have started a new digital only RC Magazine.

First off magazines are not expensive to advertise in. The cost of producing a paper magazine is expensive, so just saying $2,000 is expensive is simply untrue. Go to a print shop and ask them to print stuff. It adds up.bathroom.
Well, the question becomes how many subscriptions vs ad revenue vs actual magazines published. I used to have all those numbers and driver definitely sold more magazines than xtreme or rc car. So yes, they would be the better investment of eyes vs dollars in comparison.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:23 AM
Tech Addict

Printed magazines hold a very important place. For one, on an airplane, there is easily 45 minutes where all electronics have to be turned off. I travel for work, so having paper media to read is very valuable. Also, sometimes, it's just easier to pick up paper media than deal with an iPad or log on to your computer. I personally like a complement of both digital and print media.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.