Indy 500

Old 05-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Indy 500

Anyone else watching the Indy 500 and thinking these guys seem like amatuers? I've never seen so many pit crew and driver mistakes in a race and they're not even half done. So many stalls after a pit stop or even taking out your own pitcrew just to mention a couple. Guess I've been spoiled watching F1 or even 'gasp' Nascar. Not to mention the cars look like something out of a japanese anime series, I keep waiting for them to transform into a giant robot Well, off to the garage to see what projects await me, think I have a plane to finish up
Old 05-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
Anyone else watching the Indy 500 and thinking these guys seem like amatuers? I've never seen so many pit crew and driver mistakes in a race and they're not even half done.
Either you haven't watched too many 500s or your memory is short. These sorts of things are quite common. I've seen leaders stall on their last stop (Roberto Guerrero wasn't it?), drivers leave with the fuel rig still in (Loyd Ruby), $.10 parts fail within sight of a win (Michael Andretti), leaders hit the wall on the last corner, (Hildebrand last year), running out of fuel with a dominant car that could have won even with a stop (Robby Gordon), passing the pace car (Scott Goodyear, Bobby Unser who got away with it), you name it, it happens several times every year. This is high stakes, high pressure and people screw up.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Tech Lord

And now it looks like Andretti luck is back with a vengeance.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Either you haven't watched too many 500s or your memory is short. These sorts of things are quite common. I've seen leaders stall on their last stop (Roberto Guerrero wasn't it?), drivers leave with the fuel rig still in (Loyd Ruby), $.10 parts fail within sight of a win (Michael Andretti), leaders hit the wall on the last corner, (Hildebrand last year), running out of fuel with a dominant car that could have won even with a stop (Robby Gordon), passing the pace car (Scott Goodyear, Bobby Unser who got away with it), you name it, it happens several times every year. This is high stakes, high pressure and people screw up.
being a racing fan I try to watch every year and every year I'm left with the same feeling, just feels very amatuerish to me with all the silly mistakes. I watched last year when the leader crashed on the last corner, felt bad for the guy, but geeze, what a way to lose.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Tech Prophet

Nascar isnt that much better pitting wise i see silly mistakes from them often.

It happens its a big race also for Indy cars !

Not sure what Andretti is thinking though running on the gray area in the corner and crashing
Old 05-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
being a racing fan I try to watch every year and every year I'm left with the same feeling, just feels very amatuerish to me with all the silly mistakes. I watched last year when the leader crashed on the last corner, felt bad for the guy, but geeze, what a way to lose.
One thing to remember, a LOT of these teams and drivers essentially are amateurs. After Penske, Genassi and Andretti, most of these teams are small time operations and some are running just this race.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
Not sure what Andretti is thinking though running on the gray area in the corner and crashing
Trying to make up for earlier problems and win the race. Checkers or wreckers.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Tech Prophet

Trying to make up for earlier problems and win the race. Checkers or wreckers.

Yea true lol. Good racing though il tell you that !

Once again though Soto being way to inpatience to pass should of waited he was faster !

He always does that .

So the Target car won

Last edited by tc5 man; 05-27-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Tech Champion

Wow sato just shown why he's never been in the top 5 and probably will never be. Just think if he drove smart and did that half a lap later...
Old 05-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Mason View Post
Wow sato just shown why he's never been in the top 5 and probably will never be. Just think if he drove smart and did that half a lap later...

Yup i agree with you

He would of won i bet he just needs to use his head more and he would run in the top five for sure ! Hes a fast driver just to aggressive and impatience on all tracks.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Spec racing in general just sucks!
Racing is about innovation not just being part of the herd.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Tech Prophet

Well yea i kind of agree with you on spec racing . But i thought the racing was not bad at indy really especially the restarts crashes !

I hate Nascar on that track there just not made for it.

I like non spec racing real cars but i guess it cost to much for teams.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:22 AM
Tech Addict

One thing to remember, a LOT of these teams and drivers essentially are amateurs. After Penske, Genassi and Andretti, most of these teams are small time operations and some are running just this race.
A true quote at that. Normal people who are not race fans, think of the Indy 500 as some vaunted thing, and that the 'best of the best' are there. Not exactly accurate.

Most of the teams / drivers are essentially hobbyists and amateurs. In the early 2000s (with CART sucking up most of the big teams), IRL was a total joke. These guys were pretty much like hobbyists. Even the best Indycar drivers today are major Formula 1 rejects.

Franchitti test-drove the Jaguar 4 s a lap off the pace in a test. Sam Michael said of Scott Dixon's test run in the Williams, 'He has potential to have potential.' Bottom-line is that Indycar is a fun series, and there are some good drivers and teams, but if you're looking for top-notch talent, look at NASCAR or Formula 1, or WRC.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by KDagh1 View Post
A true quote at that. Normal people who are not race fans, think of the Indy 500 as some vaunted thing, and that the 'best of the best' are there. Not exactly accurate.

Most of the teams / drivers are essentially hobbyists and amateurs. In the early 2000s (with CART sucking up most of the big teams), IRL was a total joke. These guys were pretty much like hobbyists. Even the best Indycar drivers today are major Formula 1 rejects.

Franchitti test-drove the Jaguar 4 s a lap off the pace in a test. Sam Michael said of Scott Dixon's test run in the Williams, 'He has potential to have potential.' Bottom-line is that Indycar is a fun series, and there are some good drivers and teams, but if you're looking for top-notch talent, look at NASCAR or Formula 1, or WRC.

I dont think the indy car drivers now are hobbyiest there not bad drivers