Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
What Happened To Old Punk? >

What Happened To Old Punk?

What Happened To Old Punk?

Old 02-04-2005, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default What Happened To Old Punk?

What happened to when going to punk shows or being in a punk band was scarry, you were looked down upon as a lesser being and would scare small children and the elderly?

I don't know how many of you actualy have seen this due to your age but back when I first got into punk rock parents pleeded with their children not to go to Detroit for a show, not to spike their hair and dye it and to "TURN THAT freaking NOISE DOWN!" Now parents are droping kids off in front of St Andrews or plain out standing in line with them, wearing the bands t-shirt (Dad, please dont be THAT GUY).

I know I'm not ultra old school. I never saw Necros or Negative Approach. I just saw A.L.D. a few weeks back but since 93 I've seen shit change and I know from storys that guys like Bobby, Dog Fucker and Mike Ratt tell that todays punk rock comes with a safety net. It's weird to think that over the 25+ years punk rock has gone from overdosed and dead in the gutter out front of CBGBs to bands who are actualy thanked for what they do for the community or the government. Bands like Iggy and The Stooges, The Dictators and The MC5 were a parents worst night mare. When I got into the game bands like Rancid were completely out of it.

The worst is when you hear a parent scream out of a mini van "Pick you up at 11, love you! Don't do drugs" in front of about 10 beer swilling skinheads. You actualy realize how much shit has changed and it realy dates you.

What happened to MURDER THE GOVERNMENT? Now Jello is on a crusade to be part of the government and help them. What happened to when punkers had no life and no direction? Now they're pillars of society and hold down jobs such as Cops, lawyers, accountants and so on? Is it possible that the parents that are droping off the kids at shows were actualy at one time in line to see the Dwarves or the Misfits (when Danzig was in the band)? Who is responsible for this? Who gave out bandaids at the edge of the mosh pit? WHO I ASK, WHO!!! Who made punk rock safe?

changed a word to make this post pg-13. Thanks - TSR6
Old 02-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking Punk kids

Good points....I also think it is cool that parents now-a-days want to do that stuff with their kids!! It seems that those of us who took sh!t for going to see those shows and now we are the ones who support what our kids listen to in that respect. Just a thought, good read here NrcTc3.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:38 AM
Tech Regular

Boy your showing your age (Detroit?)... just lost touch????
I belive its called Goth today, not punk! Also some of these kids take disturbing alot farther then the KISS fans ever did. point, prince albert piercings and suspension hanging. i also think the other big difference is that they don't hate the government, its worse, there indifferent and could careless about it.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

AH yes I remeber the days of hate your mother music....Now every up and coming "punk band" is in heavy rotation on your local pop station.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking Broken Record

Originally posted by teammediocre
Now every up and coming "punk band" is in heavy rotation on your local pop station.
Sometimes too heavy and gets worn out!!
Old 02-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

well i guess I have been labeled as 'goth' though I prefer 'inidustrial'. As far as the music goes, you wont hear any of my favorite band(s) in the media. except for the few movies that their first label has sold out too. Damn big corps...

Demon
Old 02-18-2005, 05:28 AM
Tech Regular

Sound familar guys? Being woried about being "labeled"! See the situation hasn't changed, just the look and sound! It's not labeling, just a way of identifing. Besides most of my friends who consider themselves "goth" consider industrial the wennie, momma's boy version of it.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:26 AM
Tech Elite

I dont know what I consider myself...
Old 02-18-2005, 01:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the dig there man, soo quick to judge and classify, you assume too much. Frankly I could really give a rats a$$ about being labeled. You can think what you want of me, it wont change the way I think of myself. And as far as goth vs Industrail goes, I feel exactly the opposite Brian. Goth to me is all whiny and the world hates me and I hate the world so I must sho my distase at everything by being the opposite of the norm. Industrial is the angry, outspoken brother to goths, 98lb weakling who wines about everything. Really though, they are generally the same people, just slightly diffrent moods. Some of my friends like screaming death metal, some like pure disco Techno, some like Zombie, Slayer and the like, the list goes on. Me, I am a mixture, thus why I guess if I were to pick a 'label' I would go by Industrial, I dont have one genera of music/culture that I associate with fully.

As a counter point to my own argument, everyone wants to have some sort of label attatched to themselves, weather it is one that we give ourselves or one that is given to us by others. It is part of how we identify with ourselves and who we think we are.

Demon
Old 02-19-2005, 05:43 AM
Tech Regular

Sorry man, Just messin' with ya. wanted to see how you'd honestly defend your point so I provoked ya a little. Mine is everyone needs some sort of "label" to desribe something in writing. Goth vs. industrial is viewed differently coast to coast, every one still has (going back on this one) "posers" that just try it for attention from mommy and daddy!

By the way, There's still nothing like Slayer at 6:00 am to get up every morning
Old 02-20-2005, 10:09 PM
Tech Adept

I don't even know if it is considered punk or not, but I love the Descendents/ ALL. they kick arse!
Check 'em out!
Old 02-20-2005, 10:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default Re: What Happened To Old Punk?

I think the 90's what happened............

Old 02-23-2005, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

I guess I'm classified as punk/hardcore/scene... I have a mohawk, peirced lip, band or skate shirts what else you wanna know? Listen to stuff from Bad Religion, Anti-Flag, Rise Against, Unearth, Atreyu & so many more. Actually went to a Atreyu, Norma Jean, Scars of Tomorrow & Unearth concert last night. And yes, it was awesome!

Last edited by Nrctc3; 02-25-2005 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default Punk Style?

Originally posted by Nrctc3
I guess I'm classified as punk/hardcore/scene... I have a mohawk, peirced lip, gauged ears, band or skate shirts.........
Sounds like you are rebelling from your parents.

Yea, most people think guys/gals that have peircing or ink on the skin and dress in dark clothing are rebelling from their parents.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

screw rebelling, I am just having fun.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service