Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Thoughts about leaving the hobby >

Thoughts about leaving the hobby

Thoughts about leaving the hobby

Old 03-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Thoughts about leaving the hobby

Hey guys I thought that I would maybe get a little bit of input from you before I make my final decision of either quitting or staying with the hobby. I'm a highschool sophmore, 16 years old and I really think that now is not a great time to be involved in this hobby and here is why; (Oh yeah, don't get offended, it's just an opinion)
Costly (I only work during the summer, and I honestly put away 90% of what I earn into my bank account)
Tracks are far away
Couldn't I spend my money on something less dorky?
Girls aren't exactly into this stuff....(I am pretty sure that's age universal)
College or real car money is always good to have

Give me a little bit of input please. When I make my decsion, and if it's bye-bye hobby, I will also leave RCtech and sell my thousands of dollars worth of stuff.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Although I was just a basher when i was younger, I took a break from it around the same age you are now. College years are definitely not a time to be all caught up in the RC hobby (unless you're a rich kid lol) due to all the related costs. Use your money for getting college chicks drunk lol.

After I finished college and started working, I went and bought a nitro stadium truck and got right back into it. Did I lose out because I didn't play with r/c cars for 3-5 years? Hell no!!! I learned to play guitar in college and that definitely helps out your "lady" situation . Oh yeah, got a diploma too.

R/C and college can both be really fun, just different kinds of fun.

Study Hard!!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:18 PM

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

If you don't need the money just put the stuff in the closet for a while, worst thing to do is to sell everything thing get the itch further down the road and have to re buy everything.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If I were you I would sell the cars/trucks, but if you have top of the line radio equipment, keep it. Radio technology advances, but a top of the line radio from today will still be very good in a few years.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Same story here. Raced as a young teen 12-14 then quit for a while then got back into it when I was older and had gotten engaged and had a son.

Sell your stuff get a real car. Girls, friends, parties thats what those years your in are about.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've gotten in/out 3 separate times throughout my life.....

Money was never an "issue"... But time was... High school I played football and stayed busy training in the off-season... College I was way too concerned about "other things".... Plus I had grades to focus on... Along with my social status! Then when I had my beautiful daughter my spare time and spare $$$ went poof!!! She is now 2y/o and our money situation has since improved (took a better paying job).... So now I'm back in it (knee deep) and don't plan on getting back out anytime soon!! We are planning a 2nd child though!!! Which means I lose my hobby room!!! EEK!! Lmao!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Ultimately it comes down to what you want. If you love the hobby, have a desire to stay in it, and can afford to stay in it, then stay in it. If that's not the case then walk away and enjoy your life, you can always come back later. Make sure your priorities are in order no matter what, save, save, save and get that education, you will be better for it in the long run.

P.S. There are girls out there that are into it (my wife being one), but even if they aren't, you have to have some you time and a good woman may not be into everything you do but respects your space and allows you to enjoy your hobby just like you should hers.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PTP Racing View Post
Same story here. Raced as a young teen 12-14 then quit for a while then got back into it when I was older and had gotten engaged and had a son.

Sell your stuff get a real car. Girls, friends, parties thats what those years your in are about.
Yep because I'm telling you man parties aren't cheap if you're the host lol...But I think that I am just gonna sell all of my stuff except for a slash 4x4 and whatever i need to run it. I'm gonna throw that i a box and play with it again when I move into my own place. Besides, I got a nice Jeep wrangler waiting for me around the corner.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Hold onto the radio. I have been in and out since 1986 and the one thing that always gets me back in is knowing that all I really need to do is grab up a new chassis. Live life and have fun. Wanna know the main reason I go race on the weekends? The friends and the sh!t talk that goes along with the whole event . it's about fun. I am a fast mofo on many a day, not so much on others, but if the the good times were not there, i would walk away.

Remember this... RC racing is one of the best cross sections of age/race/gender that exists... it takes all kinds . Hold onto the basic stuff needed and come and go as you please. It's all about what you get out of it and what you put into it!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

imo you dont leave the hobby, you simply put it on hold for whatever time you need it to be.

Years may pass & you might forget about the time you had in it, something will trigger those memories though & BANG!, you snap out the funds to get back into it (when you can) & then you post in those "what was your first rc car?" threads & realise your old skool, you havnt left anything.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:53 AM
Tech Champion

Either sell up because you have no desire to stay in r/c,

Or Keep the Radio, servo, tools and ESC and sell everything else if you think about coming back to r/c later.

If you can still keep a healthy balance of college, rc and a social life then keep the equipment, but yes, it's not always that simple.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:32 AM
Tech Master

If you want to leave, then leave.

You (or your parents) were the one that spent the money to purchase everything you have today, not anybody else.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:21 AM
Tech Regular

If you're putting away 90% of your earnings, you're not spending nearly enough on RC.
Sell ALL of it. Everything you have will be obsolete 5 years down the road.
Girls and that "real car"?....there goes that 90%.
It's good to take a break, I've done it many times and always come back when new tech comes on the scene.
Buh-bye.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by samlax77 View Post
Couldn't I spend my money on something less dorky? Girls aren't exactly into this stuff.
You have at LEAST two more years before you are going to college.. so why worry about it now?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
If I were you I would sell the cars/trucks, but if you have top of the line radio equipment, keep it. Radio technology advances, but a top of the line radio from today will still be very good in a few years.

^^^This. Best suggestion. Maybe keep one ride, for the off chance you might be home from school on a w/end or whatever.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.