Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Drivers License >

Drivers License

Drivers License

Old 03-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Suspended

Default Drivers License

Who here got their drivers license from a Cracker Jacks box?
Old 03-18-2012, 09:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pinballdude View Post
oh...oh...pick me...me...this guy...hey....me...hello...PICK ME!!!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

I got mine from Wisconsin DMV...kinda the same thing...
Old 03-19-2012, 03:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pinballdude View Post
Oh, I see: that is why you Americans cannot drive normal cars except auto-gearboxes.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

I paid a lot of good money for my IL driver's license
Old 03-19-2012, 07:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MrUnlimited View Post
Oh, I see: that is why you Americans cannot drive normal cars except auto-gearboxes.
The sad thing is you are right only because they are phasing out manual transmissions. About 30 years ago, the amount of automatic vs manual were about the same as they are here in the Netherlands.

Don't be surprised when there is no such thing as a manual transmission on a new car because it is cheaper to give the public one thing than a choice.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:57 AM
Tech Addict

i live in the US and i know how to drive a manual trans vehicle!
Old 03-19-2012, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yep, pretty much Longhair. I leased a new Sonata a year ago, I wanted a stick, the dealer couldn't find one. He even mentioned it had been at least 6 months since he had seen one. It's very frustrating.

My favorite example of the auto trans stupidity, The Chrysler Crossfire. The standard car was available with a 6spd manual, yet the supercharged SRT-6 model only came in auto . The auto trans was so parasitic, it nullified the supercharger benefits. The 6spd was so much more responsive and fun to drive, I almost got one, hell, I still want one. And yes I drove them a lot, I worked at a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealer.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Everything i own is a stick, some converted to manual..Had an auto dodge cummins but sold it 3 months later in favor of a 6 speed truck. So yeah..teaching someone to drive a manual can be difficult though
Old 03-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrUnlimited View Post
Old 03-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

1998 Chevy S10 LS owner here, with 5 on the floor. Synchro for 5th gear's worn out & it pops out of gear...so I'm replacing it with another 5-speed. I'm spoiled now, automatics just bore me to death.

Funny thing is with all the talk about fuel mileage, you can usually get better MPG with a manual than you can with an automatic. People are just lazy.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
1998 Chevy S10 LS owner here, with 5 on the floor. Synchro for 5th gear's worn out & it pops out of gear...so I'm replacing it with another 5-speed. I'm spoiled now, automatics just bore me to death.

Funny thing is with all the talk about fuel mileage, you can usually get better MPG with a manual than you can with an automatic. People are just lazy.
It's kind of a double -edged sword. I had an Integra GSR, and if it had been auto I might have acheived better mpg by letting the car choose the upshifts. I just enjoyed letting it wind up too much with the 5 speed . Factor in blipping (rev-matching) on down shifts and it was a mpg killer.

I do think it's sad that the manual tranny is fading away. Everything that makes driving a car an experience is going away slowly. Too many people want a car to be quiet and soft riding over less than perfect streets. Shifting is too much work....

Last edited by nf_ekt; 03-19-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The only time that I feel driving a standard car can be a bit annoying is when I'm stuck in bad traffic. Any other time I prefer driving a manual. Hell, I learned how to drive stick before I even got my driver's license. I love my 6-speed GTI

It is sad that it is being phased out, but at least on the upside, a manual transmission is the ultimate anti-theft device in America
Old 03-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frozenshades View Post
The only time that I feel driving a standard car can be a bit annoying is when I'm stuck in bad traffic. Any other time I prefer driving a manual. Hell, I learned how to drive stick before I even got my driver's license. I love my 6-speed GTI

It is sad that it is being phased out, but at least on the upside, a manual transmission is the ultimate anti-theft device in America
Back in the "hurtin' days", it also meant getting that thing started until you could afford a new battery .
Old 03-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
Back in the "hurtin' days", it also meant getting that thing started until you could afford a new battery .
I remember those days.

The first vehicle I drove was my grandpa's tractor, then the car I learned to drive in was an MG Midget. I thought I'd drive a manual for the rest of my life till my first experience with a race-built TH400. Never went back after that, that is until I taught my kid to drive. That was in a manual trans car, cuz I always felt (and still do) that learning to drive a manual can make you a better driver and gives a better understanding of cars in general.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.