Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
PUSH yourself to the next level!! >

PUSH yourself to the next level!!

PUSH yourself to the next level!!

Old 01-12-2005, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

Pimpedaccord made a good point. I think there needs to be an open factory modified and maybe a 10 turn limit modified. Ditch 19 turn. Leave it for oval. This would definitely make it more appealing for stock racers to move up. I am sure Kinwald and Francis love running 10 turns at the ROAR Nationals... NOT. Let them run open modified and someone that is not ready for open, but wants to move on can run limited modified.....

It took me 4 years of stock-foam-carpet racing to make an A main at a large event. I was lucky enough to make the main at Cleveland and Snowbirds last year. I have recently decided to make the jump to modified. If I am able to make an A main in modified in 4 years I will be extremely happy, but it is going to take a lot of practice, pride swallowing and luck. Some times you have to step down to step up.

Modified is a little more expensive, but other alternatives are appearing more and more. Super long lasting brushes are becoming huge and are a BIG money saver.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

RB....... you said it....... "step down to step up". Enough said. You didn't learn stock overnight. You certainly will not learn Mod overnight. If you do, then more power to you.

Jeff
Old 01-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Moving up:

Originally posted by acyrier
At our club track, all we race currently is stock. Except a few guys running 4-cell 19 oval. For the most part, the reason is size of track. It's only 36x60. I guess my opinion is it's really not big enough for "mod" motors when we turn it into a road course (the track is converted several times a night from road to oval). We DO however, break our classes up to stock novice and stock expert. It gives the new guys their "own" class..and something to shoot for. This is however, only done on classes that have 12+ drivers.

I can see though, if the track were say... 48x72+ we would have guys running modified.
This would be my biggest issue with running mod. Im not near ready, as I have only been racing a little over a year but I have personally seen some pretty good drivers put 10x2's in there Sedans and only occasionally drop a lap down a .10. The track just isnt big enough to really show the power and overall performance of a mod motor.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Moving up to modified also has the benefit of making yo a faster stock driver. But thats a whole nother discussion.

I am in no way sayng ALL drivers need to move to mod that are good or posses the talent. Finances, lack f practice time or a track thats not condusive to running mod at all (low grip-too small, etc.) or a pure love for stock racing. Nor am I doing this to make stock lifers feel bad about it.

Stock racing is very hard at the top level-so its possible to say that you can spend your life developing skills that will make you faster in stock racing!!

But-I do feel that there are sandbaggers out there and also-no real threats to the established top guns. Yeah-theres Cavalieri and Heiser and more young guys-but they have been more or less groomed for this success by there peers. I think the US racing scene needs more of that. SOmeone mentioned Flack-I think thats a good example. Hes moving up and Rob said hes moving up too. Both guys could stay in stock and maybe win a few ROAR nats, Champs, snowbirds in stock this coming year!!
Old 01-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Jack Smash
So we should seperate the guys that are better than you so you can win your main?
I guess I was getting at was that in most cases why are classes seperated by motor instead of skill level? Once you prove you can consistantly win in one class you should be forced to move up to the next class.

In my opinion if you want to get fast at mod then you need to throw out the stock motor and start running mod. I don't buy the idea that you need to master stock first. Look at nitro racing, everyone runs relatively the same motor.

The only valid argument I see againt running mod is the costs.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Peter Busch
I guess I was getting at was that in most cases why are classes seperated by motor instead of skill level? Once you prove you can consistantly win in one class you should be forced to move up to the next class.

In my opinion if you want to get fast at mod then you need to throw out the stock motor and start running mod. I don't buy the idea that you need to master stock first. Look at nitro racing, everyone runs relatively the same motor.

The only valid argument I see againt running mod is the costs.
Yeah they do! That's where 10 scale nitro sedan came in so newbies would learn before steping up to 235mm and 1/8 scale.
Just happens it turned into a highly competitive class like 27t stock touring!
Old 01-13-2005, 12:35 AM
Tech Champion

umhh........ I think I want to play in group B and C. Group A is just too hard ( hard to race, more expensive to maintain physically & financially ).
Old 01-13-2005, 12:53 AM
Tech Master

Post I love tinkering with my cars/gear but.....

looking after the motor is the least favourite part that's why I only run 540 stock. Take the motor out spray the crap out of it with a can of brake cleaner and oil the bushings...all done.

Now is they had a mod class where it was a closed can, with tough brushes (non replaceable) like in 540's and 1500 mah packs (I'd not buy new batteries just to change class) then I'll consider it.

Last edited by Mabuchi540; 01-13-2005 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:33 AM
Tech Champion

The killer with mod racing is cost. You are kidding yourself if you think there is a more important factor.

Tyres wear at more than 2x the speed... Brushes need replacing often... Batteries lose runtime and become less competitive... Drivetrain wear means outdrives/CVD's are replaced often.... Then theres crashes, at 2x the speed.

Mayb things will become more affordable in the future.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:49 AM
Tech Adept

I love stock racing, you cant use the power of the motor to make up for your mistakes...

But hey, My skill level means I am borderline newb anyway... Seeing the real quick guys in the same class gives me something to aim at...

If they were all newbs then I wouldn't get pushed along...

Only thing I would like to see is ballraces and brushless allowed in stock.. Reduces the maintenance so you can concentrate on getting the car right..

Old 01-13-2005, 04:49 AM
Tech Regular

I break enough in stock let alone mod.....
Old 01-13-2005, 08:25 AM
Mal

Have you added up the cost of breaking parts, motor mantanence and new tires during a year of mod racing? I can guarantee you the cost will be $1000+ if you race on a regular basis.

It's pretty easy for people with money, partial sponships or full sponsorships to say, "Force people to run mod".

Now if you're talking about fully sponsored stock car racers .... that's another story. Those are the guys that should be forced up to the next level....
Old 01-13-2005, 08:33 AM
Tech Regular

i don't think anyone wants to force anyone anywhere Ray is saying that if you can be a continder in mod racing but you stay in stock so you can dominate that class. it is very discourging to newer racers. i also think that he is referring to more of a national race like the champs or the snowbirds where the factories have 100% sponsored stock racers so thay can have big "WE WON" adds in the mags

imo
Rob
Old 01-13-2005, 08:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by Mal
Now if you're talking about fully sponsored stock car racers .... that's another story. Those are the guys that should be forced up to the next level....
Thats only partialy my point. The main points i am trying to bring to discussion are:

1-GUys who are way to good to run stock who keep running stock.

2-our apparent lack of motivation as a form of motorsport to adavnce ourselves.

Also-think about this. All sports lead to a championship right? We have the ROAR Nats for the USA where a National Champion in stock is crowned. Is there another level above that? Yes-the IFMAR worlds. DO they run stock at the Worlds? NO!! Shuouldnt the US be grooming and pushing its brightest talents to excell to win World Champoionships for our country?

Ray
Old 01-13-2005, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

It's about motivation, and dedication, which many don't seem to have, (myself included sometimes! ). The move from stock to mod is a big commitment, and some just aren't willing to give up the top o' the heap status, and start over.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service