R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge

Like Tree15Likes

Old 02-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default Why is 1/12th scale still 8 minutes?

I know this will cause the 1/12th scale elitists to pop a blood vessel in their heads, but I simply do not understand why 1/12th scale is still an eight minute race. What am I missing?

The reasons from the past simply do not apply anymore. If battery life was the deciding factor then we should be running all classes to 10 minutes or more. There is no longer any battery strategy that is in play anymore in 1/12th scale.

If you add up the time at big races, 1/12th scale racers are given a significant advantage as they get an additional race worth of run time over the rest of the classes. No, this is not a good reason to run 1/12th scale.

Before you get all upset...Yes I own a couple of 1/12th scale cars and I do understand the reasons why this was changed in the past. I also don't need any lectures about how great 1/12th scale is and not to mess with something that in some people's eyes are perfect. Just like when the race times were moved up as technology changed, it should also move back when the technology stabilizes.

It is time to bring 1/12th scale in line with the rest of the classes!
Old 02-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
I know this will cause the 1/12th scale elitists to pop a blood vessel in their heads, but I simply do not understand why 1/12th scale is still an eight minute race. What am I missing?

The reasons from the past simply do not apply anymore. If battery life was the deciding factor then we should be running all classes to 10 minutes or more. There is no longer any battery strategy that is in play anymore in 1/12th scale.

If you add up the time at big races, 1/12th scale racers are given a significant advantage as they get an additional race worth of run time over the rest of the classes. No, this is not a good reason to run 1/12th scale.

Before you get all upset...Yes I own a couple of 1/12th scale cars and I do understand the reasons why this was changed in the past. I also don't need any lectures about how great 1/12th scale is and not to mess with something that in some people's eyes are perfect. Just like when the race times were moved up as technology changed, it should also move back when the technology stabilizes.

I think the better question, is why are TC races still only 6 mins ?

8>6>5>4 duh
davidl likes this.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Last edited by RedBullFiXX; 02-01-2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Ok TC races are 6 mins, never really counted the time while marshalling them ;)
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
I think the better question, is why are TC races still only 5 mins ?

8>6>5>4 duh
Haha that is so funny...I knew you would be the first person to respond to my post...

It is not just TC it is every other electric class besides 1/12th scale.

Why did it stop? We should go until the LIPOs swell and catch on fire...I say we make it 30 minutes per race.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:

Old 02-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Let's make em all longer. I'd like to go another couple of minutes in 1/12th
Old 02-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Thumbs down

Quote:
Haha that is so funny...I knew you would be the first person to respond to my post...

It is not just TC it is every other electric class besides 1/12th scale.

Why did it stop? We should go until the LIPOs swell and catch on fire...I say we make it 30 minutes per race.
What are you, the FUN Police ?

When did less run time become more fun

Seriously, you sound like the guy that always votes for 2 rounds, instead of 3 because you want to go home early

That said. If YOUR club wants to run less, go for it.
What ever works to bring in more racers....
Goof likes this.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
Old 02-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
What are you, the FUN Police ?

When did less run time become more fun

Seriously, you sound like the guy that always votes for 2 rounds, instead of 3 because you want to go home early

That said. If YOUR club wants to run less, go for it.
What ever works to bring in more racers....
lol...I think he meant make it longer not shorter

Fun Police

And yea what's with those 2 rounds guys
Goof likes this.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think almost any class other than Mod TC could be 8 minutes or more. I've hit LVC with a 6000mAh after a little over 7 minutes of practice using a 5.5. I guess even Mod TC could be 8 minutes, but then people might have to choose a higher turn motor and/or have a gentler throttle finger to make it to the end.

If all the other classes are left at 5 or 6 minutes, I'd like to see 12th qualifiers at least be the same amount of time, even if mains are still 8 minutes. I hate having to marshal 12th scale. Those extra couple of minutes seem to take forever. Especially when around here 12th is one of the least popular classes. Standing in the infield for 8 minutes watching 3 or 4 cars go around gets annoying pretty fast. If the other classes were also 8 minutes (or 10 minutes) it probably wouldn't be quite as annoying.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
Regional Moderator

Quote:
I think the better question, is why are TC races still only 5 mins ?
Not sure where TC races are only 5 minutes? All of the big races I've been to have been 6 minutes (ROAR Carpet Nats, Indoor Champs, etc.).
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
Tech Elite

The problem with changing the amount of time locally would be that quite a few of our racers actually go about of town and race at some of the larges races in the US. Whether that be Snowbirds or Nats or IIC. If you are preparing to go out of town and compete you want to do that at the same time as they run at the bigger races.

I was simply trying to understand the current justification for it? As I suspected there really is not good reason, just conjecture.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
The problem with changing the amount of time locally would be that quite a few of our racers actually go about of town and race at some of the larges races in the US. Whether that be Snowbirds or Nats or IIC. If you are preparing to go out of town and compete you want to do that at the same time as they run at the bigger races.

I was simply trying to understand the current justification for it? As I suspected there really is not good reason, just conjecture.
Usually people solve problems that exist?

Not sure 12th being 8 min is a problem for anyone for the last 36 years ...lol

Maybe there might be some other places in RC where we could put our attention regarding actual problems?

Last edited by Infinite 12th; 02-01-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Not sure where TC races are only 5 minutes? All of the big races I've been to have been 6 minutes (ROAR Carpet Nats, Indoor Champs, etc.).
I agree, around here, everywhere runs 6 min mains. I always wondered why 1/12 was longer than TC, but I figured it was just because the old rules never changed. I really enjoy 1/12, 6 min mains might honestly be better (for people's consistency, less die off in a pack, as opposed to losing a few 1/10th's during the last few minutes. Time wiseI enjoy running 8 mins in 1/12. I'd like to see TC go for 8 mins as well, but the rules aren't doing to change that quickly, nor is there a real reason to do it.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
Tech Champion

Football
Baseball
Basketball
Soccer
Tennis
Formula One

None of these have cut down the minutes have they ?

The massively popular UF1 series runs 3, 10 minute mains !

Old 02-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite 12th View Post
Usually people solve problems that exist?

Not sure 12th being 8 min is a problem for anyone
Around here it is not a popular class, at all, but gets the most track time.

I consider that unfair. I think the OP does as well, so yes it is a bit of a problem. Either the other classes should be longer (I'm for this) or 12th qualifiers should be shorter.

Our VTA class has an 8 minute A-main, but 6 minute qualifiers. Why should 12th get so much extra time?
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Here are some key points:

(not in any specific order)

> The length of race only matters where IFMAR is concerned.

> You and your local track can run however long of a race you want to. Just announce it before people start travelling so they don't show up and get mad about it.

> The same goes for "Big Events" but realistically its a time issue once you start adding on the heats.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote