R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge

Like Tree15Likes

Old 02-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #106
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

1/12th was 6 cells, as it were. I caught the tail end of 6 cell 1/12th. But did enjoy it.

8 minutes was what you could do with the technology of the time.

Any of those setups from back in the day, with todays batterys, would probably pull 40-43 minutes on a 6500mah pack.

A good brushless motor that only put out say 30 watts at 95% efficiency, an hour run time, easy. Old motors sucked. but we loved them anyway.

I feel 17.5 (3.7v) is faster than open modified from say 1990 or so at (4.8v). Maybe even up until we had 3000mAh cells. lotta speculation there.

back then you geared to make time, that was it. Now you gear once you hit a particular heat limit on your motor. With no concern whatsoever about time.

I've watched a lot of old 1/12th videos. Tracks were small and the cars looked crazy slow. Not the worlds, just random average dudes having a good time.

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #107
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

All this hubub over two minutes! Guess my my wife was right, it is a long time!
hanulec likes this.
elee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:04 AM   #108
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXYnary View Post
You must be running 17.5 blinky I take it?
Nope, both 10.5 blinky and non blinky last no problem, and I have a particularly aggressive driving style.
10.5 is the slowest motor we use in the UK and no one has problems with duration, in fact the fastest guys manage 8 minutes with a 4.5 without having to nurse it home.

If you are struggling with anything slower these days then you really are pushing the motors beyond their limit.

For all those moaning about wanting more or less race time for 1/12th or touring cars, RCTech isn't the place to be shouting about it. The people to discuss it with are the ones at your local track, that way they actually know what you want. Complaining on here isn't going to do anything at your track even if everyone agreed here to change the rules.

Getting your local track to run to whatever you want, then telling everyone here how it went would be much more productive. Posting that you made touring cars 8 minutes and everyone enjoyed it more, or you went to 8 minutes were happier at 6 minutes, is more useful than just ranting here.

By the way most of the world still runs touring cars for 5 minutes with no one asking for to be increased to 6 minutes.

Last edited by terry.sc; 02-02-2012 at 03:49 AM.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #109
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Nope, both 10.5 blinky and non blinky last no problem, and I have a particularly aggressive driving style.
10.5 is the slowest motor we use in the UK and no one has problems with duration, in fact the fastest guys manage 8 minutes with a 4.5 without having to nurse it home.

If you are struggling with anything slower these days then you really are pushing the motors beyond their limit.

For all those moaning about wanting more or less race time for 1/12th or touring cars, RCTech isn't the place to be shouting about it. The people to discuss it with are the ones at your local track, that way they actually know what you want. Complaining on here isn't going to do anything at your track even if everyone agreed here to change the rules.

Getting your local track to run to whatever you want, then telling everyone here how it went would be much more productive. Posting that you made touring cars 8 minutes and everyone enjoyed it more, or you went to 8 minutes were happier at 6 minutes, is more useful than just ranting here.

By the way most of the world still runs touring cars for 5 minutes with no one asking for to be increased to 6 minutes.
Agreed. We ran 10.5 blinky this past weekend. I was using approximately 3500 mah from a 6300 mah pack. I have a ham-fisted throttle style, (too much 17.5 blinky racing), and that was still all I used in nine minutes of track time.

I might even be able to get away with a 4200mah shorty pack in 10.5 blinky.......
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #110
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
I don't need anyone to speak for me...I asked a legitimate question and the first few responses very contrary. As usual it all has to turn ugly very quickly for really no reason.
I know this will cause the 1/12th scale elitists to pop a blood vessel in their heads, but I simply do not understand why 1/12th scale is still an eight minute race. What am I missing?

Nice start to your reasonable question.
Tire Chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #111
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tire Chunker View Post
I know this will cause the 1/12th scale elitists to pop a blood vessel in their heads, but I simply do not understand why 1/12th scale is still an eight minute race. What am I missing?
I guess if you're racing Tc, about two minutes....
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #112
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
It is time to bring 1/12th scale in line with the rest of the classes!
No, it really isn't.

It's 2 minutes. Most clubs may have 2-3 heats of 12th scale, so that only equates to an added 6 minutes a round. Have we become so attention deficient that this makes a difference in our day?

As for people wanting longer; 12th scale chassis setup is only good for about 8 minutes, a lot of time 6 minutes. Try holding on to a 12th scale through 15 minutes of practice. The last 8 are hell.

To those arguing that means we should run 6 minute 12th scale; the chassis fade is the equivalent of the capacity fade of yore. You cannot just over drive the car for 8 minutes, it takes a balance of driving and setup to make a car work for the full 8 minutes.

For the touring car people saying we should run 10, 15, or 20+ minute mains .... rubber tires barely hold on for 5 minutes. The last 60 seconds the tires are massive over heat/fade mode. Anyone who races rubber tire competitive knows the goal is to push the tire to the point of fade without going over the entire run.

Of course I think all you really wanted was a response to this thread, so in the end I've already lost this argument and you've won. Congratulations, you are keyboard king for a day.
Wes Briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #113
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (99%+)
Default Simple answer

The simple answer is tradition!! I've had 12th scales since 1982-83. I was a kid and never asked why 8 minutes. I still don't ask why.

Greg G
Swampracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #114
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampracer View Post
The simple answer is tradition!! I've had 12th scales since 1982-83. I was a kid and never asked why 8 minutes. I still don't ask why.

Greg G
Tradition ...lol
Old 02-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #115
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite 12th View Post
Tradition is one thing, but the sheer awesome factor totally outweighs it.

12th 8 mins is fine, until they choose to make our heats/mains longer as well....
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #116
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
Tradition is one thing, but the sheer awesome factor totally outweighs it.

12th 8 mins is fine, until they choose to make our heats/mains longer as well....
I can't believe I forgot about the "sheer awesome" factor

Have mercy ...lol

Although this post might vindicate my 12th scale position

Quote:
I don't think he understands how f'n totally rad and bitchen 12th is?
lol
Old 02-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #117
Suspended

Quote:
And yea what's with those 2 rounds guys
It means at home they got a woman at home either nagging or wanting a .
FreedomRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #118
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomRocks View Post
It means at home they got a woman at home either nagging or wanting a .
lol...Till death or three rounds do we part
Old 02-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #119
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Briscoe View Post
No, it really isn't.

It's 2 minutes. Most clubs may have 2-3 heats of 12th scale, so that only equates to an added 6 minutes a round. Have we become so attention deficient that this makes a difference in our day?

As for people wanting longer; 12th scale chassis setup is only good for about 8 minutes, a lot of time 6 minutes. Try holding on to a 12th scale through 15 minutes of practice. The last 8 are hell.

To those arguing that means we should run 6 minute 12th scale; the chassis fade is the equivalent of the capacity fade of yore. You cannot just over drive the car for 8 minutes, it takes a balance of driving and setup to make a car work for the full 8 minutes.

For the touring car people saying we should run 10, 15, or 20+ minute mains .... rubber tires barely hold on for 5 minutes. The last 60 seconds the tires are massive over heat/fade mode. Anyone who races rubber tire competitive knows the goal is to push the tire to the point of fade without going over the entire run.

Of course I think all you really wanted was a response to this thread, so in the end I've already lost this argument and you've won. Congratulations, you are keyboard king for a day.

+2000
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:40 AM   #120
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Think about it like this. 12th races have always been 8 minutes. When TC started the racers were shorter so they could get run time. Nobody said then let's make 12th less than 8 minutes because that wouldn't have been fair. They were there first why should they have to reduce the length of their racers to accommodate an inferior class. TC can now go longer, so it makes sense to increase their run time.

I did race at one place that ran 3 heats and a final. To even up the run time for everyone they did only two 12th heats and a final. As it was unprepared asphalt the 12th racers didn't mind skipping the first round. But in a different situation that may not go down so well.

Another place I raced once had a significant drop off in numbers to the point where there were only 4 races in a round, and nobody could be ready for their race on time. The solution: 10 minute races every round for everyone. That gave people enough time, and there were certainly no complaints!
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote