R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge

Like Tree15Likes

Old 02-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
Who cares if 1/12th gets an additional 2 min each round.
This...

Wtf guys? If you think it is so unfair and you want to run an additional 2mins per round, then run 12th.

Why do the nitro guys at my local parking lot races get to have 10 min mains when the rest of the electric classes only get 6-8 mins? Waaaaaahhhh... that's not fair! We pay the same entry fee as them! Waaaaahhh.... [/sarcasm]

Different classes have different classing structures and race lengths. Go ahead and argue for extending the race length for the TCs and what not. But if people don't go for it, there is zero reason to shorten the length of the 12th scale races.

12th is one of the few electric on-road classes that has actually seen good growth and attendance numbers(at least on the rug) over the past 4-5 years... there are new manufacturers releasing new kits, etc. Shortening the race length would be the first nail in the coffin. If your goal is to kill off 12th, sure... advocate for shorter races.

But the argument that 12th racers getting 2 extra mins of runtime per round is extremely petty and downright laughable.

You picked your class, warts and all... deal with it. You want extra run time, race 12th.
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #32
Tech Master

The other thing in making 12th car races longer, is that we (at our club) would actually get LESS overall track time. The reason is that you would have to go down from 4 heats (4x8 minute runs) to 3 heats (maybe 10 minutes x 3) to be able to get everyone's racing in the time we have in the hall. Maybe that has something to do with not changing it? Cheers.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

EDIT: I was . Now I am not and regret hitting submit.

It happens.

Last edited by locked; 02-01-2012 at 05:52 PM.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOD View Post
Out here we run all electric on road classes 8 min. 1/12th, 17.5 open, 17.5 blinky and F1. I really don't understand why they don't make the races longer, we have plenty of battery.
This may be true that we all have more battery capacity but what about total time at the track.

I go to tracks that have 12 to 14 classes (not heats), if each were 8 minutes with 3 minutes between races that's almost two hours per round. Run three quallifiers and that's six hours. If you are running one class you are there for 10 to 12 hours (with practice and Mains) and run only 32 minutes. There's only so much wrenching you can do in 10 to 11 hours.

Add to that the drive to the track which for some of us is over an hour each way (1.5 for me).

We are trying to speed up the day so people can be home for Sunday dinner or whatever with their families.

We run 4 minute novice (there's only so much mayhem you can take marshalling those). 5 minute ovals, 6 minute WGT and 8 minute 1/12 (turning about 50 laps).

I actually quit nitro because of the long mains that would cause my hands to go numb.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #35
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
This may be true that we all have more battery capacity but what about total time at the track.

I go to tracks that have 12 to 14 classes (not heats), if each were 8 minutes with 3 minutes between races that's almost two hours per round. Run three quallifiers and that's six hours. If you are running one class you are there for 10 to 12 hours (with practice and Mains) and run only 32 minutes. There's only so much wrenching you can do in 10 to 11 hours.

Add to that the drive to the track which for some of us is over an hour each way (1.5 for me).

We are trying to speed up the day so people can be home for Sunday dinner or whatever with their families.

We run 4 minute novice (there's only so much mayhem you can take marshalling those). 5 minute ovals, 6 minute WGT and 8 minute 1/12 (turning about 50 laps).

I actually quit nitro because of the long mains that would cause my hands to go numb.

Longer mains obviously won't work for every venue, however for us it works great! We get practice time, 5 minute qualifiers and 3... yes 3, 8 minute mains.

Our emphasis is on racing not spending time on how we line up for the mains. Our turn out is on the small side and usually just have enough for a-mains in all classes so it makes sense for us.
HawaiiBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

I simply started the thread to ask why they are still 8 minutes...? As usual people take this way off on a tangent and starting interjecting their narrow minded political commentary which is totally unwanted and unnecessary.

Still all of these responses and not one answer to the first question.

I would even take "we have no idea why they are still 8 minutes, but we like it and we are cooler then everyone else in RC racing" as a possible answer.

I get that people do not want to change and that change is very very scary. I am not even sure it needs to change, I was just wondering why?

This has turned out as expected...
Old 02-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

I'd file this under the same thing so many other topics get filed under:

Talk to your RD, talk to the fellow racers, do what works for the club.

Big races? another can of worms... on the club level I don't see why certain things have to be set in stone, at least with duration of heats / mains.
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #38
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

8 minutes in 1/12th is not a problem, in fact, with the spirit of how the class and rule came about, 8 minutes is on the short side.

The real problem is the slow progression of electric class rules regarding race length as technology has progressed.

And the problem with making any of the classes longer is the issue of time on the club level.

Last week, we had 3 heats of TC, one WGT heat, and one 1/12 heat, with a 5 minute clock between heats to swap drivers, put cars in impound and get to turn marshal spots.

That's: 6+5+6+5+6+5+6+5+8 = 52 minutes per round, 3 rounds and mains, and there's nearly 4 hours before you factor in any breaks between rounds.

Making all classes 8 minutes puts you at an hour per round for 5 heats, and the bigger the turnout for the day, the longer you're there, and the longer you're waiting between rounds before you run again.

Kind of a double edged sword, longer heats mean more downtime between rounds as well.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
....and, it finally gets political, yay .

Cypress: "Taxis" Thats pretty funny. 8 minutes, 10, whatever, I just wish more people at my local tracks wanted to run 12th in the first place!
Move here!! We don't have a lot of folks, but WGT and 12th scale are our biggest classes. TC is all but dead at our track.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
I simply started the thread to ask why they are still 8 minutes...? As usual people take this way off on a tangent and starting interjecting their narrow minded political commentary which is totally unwanted and unnecessary.

Still all of these responses and not one answer to the first question.

I would even take "we have no idea why they are still 8 minutes, but we like it and we are cooler then everyone else in RC racing" as a possible answer.

I get that people do not want to change and that change is very very scary. I am not even sure it needs to change, I was just wondering why?

This has turned out as expected...
At least you didnt say you wanted spec tires in 12th You would of had a mob after you!
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
At least you didnt say you wanted spec tires in 12th You would of had a mob after you!
I don't care what the haters think, but I don't want to get off topic with that. I have my own views on that as well, but it is not relevant to this discussion.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
Move here!! We don't have a lot of folks, but WGT and 12th scale are our biggest classes. TC is all but dead at our track.
Sheeeeiiihttt!!! I'd be in heaven . I have both and getting play out of either class is very hit-or-miss. Seams like a warm-up for a big race comes around, they come out of the wood work. But otherwise? Not too much love. At least as far as the tracks I like to run go...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
Wow, I didn't realize 12th scale guys were such a bunch of selfish douche nozzles.
FU
selfish douche nozzles?

First of all, I used to run TC, and enjoyed it. I also run WGT, so I'm not just a 12th scale guy. I ran TC back before it became ridiculously expensive, and I'd run it again if there were some way to bring the costs back in line.

selfish douche nozzles?

Who sounds like the bigger baby? "That other class gets more than me, whaaaaaaa!! Me want more!! And if me no get more, me cry until Mom takes away from them."

It's this type of ridiculous whining that's ruining the on-road scene virtually everywhere.

Like I said, if you wanna run TC's for eight minutes, go right ahead. I guess the sarcasm in my earlier post about me wanting my extra two minutes was lost.

I don't care how long YOU run at YOUR track. That's fine. But I see the argument made that if the TC guys have to run 8 mins. then they're not running what the big races run. Ya know what, If you drop 12th scale to six, then those guys are screwed, and can't run what the big races run.

This argument is really just dumb. The sanctioning bodies set these rules up, and MOST tracks are going to run according to the rules set up by those sanctioning bodies. See if you can get IFMAR or ROAR to change these things for you.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
Old 02-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #44

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
Wow, I didn't realize 12th scale guys were such a bunch of selfish douche nozzles.

"There wouldn't be enough time if the other classes got as much time as we get"

"want more time? race 12th"

FU
Reading the thread, its quite interesting how most people posting are not for messing with 1/12th... (or are presenting solid debate logic)... but this guy, he's quite angry about those little cars racing around for so long. god I love R/C

"Douche Nozzles"... and "Fu"... With that kind of mad tite debate skills I assume you are running for some kind of poltical office as well?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
I don't care what the haters think, but I don't want to get off topic with that. I have my own views on that as well, but it is not relevant to this discussion.
Thank God, that topic is just plain wrong.