Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge

Like Tree15Likes

Old 02-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #16
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
Around here it is not a popular class, at all, but gets the most track time.

I consider that unfair. I think the OP does as well, so yes it is a bit of a problem. Either the other classes should be longer (I'm for this) or 12th qualifiers should be shorter.

Our VTA class has an 8 minute A-main, but 6 minute qualifiers. Why should 12th get so much extra time?
Again, why not look at it the other way.

Why take away fun, instead of adding more fun ?

Life is not fair, just sayin...
GrandeGixxer likes this.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Again, why not look at it the other way.

Why take away fun, instead of adding more fun ?

Life is not fair, just sayin...
Did you read what I wrote? I'm in favor of the other classes being 8 minutes, but if we don't change all other classes to match 12th, then change 12th to match the others.

The way it is currently, just doesn't seem very fair. We all pay the same fees, Why give one class more time than the others?
Goof likes this.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

History, History, History. I raced my first first 1/12th scale race in 1980 and guess what, it was 8 minutes and stop where you were on the track. We did not finish the lap you were on. 1/12th is the second longest class there is. 1/8th on road nitro being the longest.

Why change something that works well. I also don't feel going to longer race heats does much. I personally would rather race (3) 8 minute runs than (2) 10 minute runs, and it has nothing to do with the extra minutes. I would always rather have more attempts at the track and improving my qualifing time.

If your car setup is off for that round, do you really want to drive it longer?

More attempts = More fun.

Just an opinion of someone who remembers the "good ole days"

Steve
GrandeGixxer likes this.
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Football
Baseball
Basketball
Soccer
Tennis
Formula One

None of these have cut down the minutes have they ?

The massively popular UF1 series runs 3, 10 minute mains !
Not sure I really understand your analogy...

I am OK as long as it is fair for all classes...I think there are problems moving non-direct drive classes and mod classes to anything above 6 minutes. Running Mod TC or even WGT for 8 Minutes could be a serious issue to current batteries. So really the only logical way to true up all of the classes is to move them all to 6 minutes. Yes, this is a problem.

Let's just be honest...people hate marshaling races longer then 6 minutes. Trying to get a volunteer marshal for 1/12th scale is very difficult. People will do whatever they can to look as busy or as checked out as possible so that they are not asked to have to come out and marshal. So, yes this is a problem too.

Then there is cost...if you get 25% less time on the track then I should pay 25% less in entry fees. Or 25% more if I get more track time.
Goof likes this.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #20

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I dont see why all classes arent moved up in time... not like anyone is lacking battery capacity these days. And yeh, us 1/12th'rs get some nice additional track time, just one of the perks I guess.

To me 5 minute on a WGT/Touring car seems so damn short its silly. We spend thousands on these cars... why not run them a bit longer in a stint? Also tire management, battery management, and motor temp management come into strategy. More elements that come into a strategy at the top levels the more interesting stuff becomes.

Then again I came from running nitro onroad at a track that would do 30 minute mains... I LOVED that. Multiple pit stops, strategy, tire management... it was a blast and a real incentive to drive VERY clean.
GrandeGixxer likes this.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #21
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Bit of 12th scale, 8 minutes of Racin, envy here.

I go racing because it's fun, not so I can hurry back to the pits to work on my car.

Really don't get the point of this thread.

I'm out..............
Goof likes this.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Who cares if 1/12th gets an additional 2 min each round.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
Not sure I really understand your analogy...

I am OK as long as it is fair for all classes...I think there are problems moving non-direct drive classes and mod classes to anything above 6 minutes. Running Mod TC or even WGT for 8 Minutes could be a serious issue to current batteries. So really the only logical way to true up all of the classes is to move them all to 6 minutes. Yes, this is a problem.

Then there is cost...if you get 25% less time on the track then I should pay 25% less in entry fees. Or 25% more if I get more track time.
Really? in WGT (13.5 spec)? I run a hot, inefficient motor in mine, and in 5 minutes I use ~ 2800 - 2900mAh it seems. Maybe 3000mAh. With packs exceeding 6000mAh these days in single cell... I am sure we could take a WGT to 8 minutes quite easily. I have been quite confused why WGT doesnt step it up to 6 or 8 minutes.

If you are going to charge entry rates based on time on track, then you are just further encouraging people to not compete in other classes, or choose the quick small class. If anything I think the sport should be doing everything and anythign in its power to make onroad more fun, and give more bang for the buck.

These time limits were defined in the 80-90's when the round cells could barely make it to the end, and to get there you had to drive reasonably. Today we have more juice than we know what to do wiht, ultra efficient motors, better tire compounds, why arent all the classes 8+ minute?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Speaking of 1/8, they should cut down the mains to six minutes for those guys too. Totally unfair to electric racers.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #25
AOD
Tech Regular

Out here we run all electric on road classes 8 min. 1/12th, 17.5 open, 17.5 blinky and F1. I really don't understand why they don't make the races longer, we have plenty of battery.
AOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #26

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOD View Post
Out here we run all electric on road classes 8 min. 1/12th, 17.5 open, 17.5 blinky and F1. I really don't understand why they don't make the races longer, we have plenty of battery.
+1
Old 02-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #27
Tech Elite

So, I just wanna make sure I understand......

An individual chooses to run a class with existing rules, sees that another class runs under a different rules structure, and then complains that the rules need to be changed for a class that said individual doesn't participate in.

That's what I'm getting after reading this.

I say sure, bump TC races up to 8 mins. Of course you just significantly lowered the number of entries you can accommodate at major events, and you'll probably have a hard time convincing ALL the world's sanctioning bodies to adopt the new rules, but let the taxis bang around another two minutes.

Of course if TC's are gonna run 8 mins. as a long time racer, I feel it's only fair that I should get my extra 2 mins. So I demand that 12th scale heats be moved up to 10 mins. I mean you guys got an extra two, why shouldn't I, right?

Now, where are all the Oval racers complaining that they only get to run 4 mins?
GrandeGixxer likes this.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #28
Tech Elite

DEfine "fair"
12th runs at 8 min. if you change it then it's not fair to those who race 12th.
Fair is a relative term that is way over used in this touchy feely world that has evolved.
we want to make racig fair for all who race, baloney. you arn't looking for fair you just want to screw with something that been working for DECADES. I think you listen to Obamna speeches too much....everything is not fair.
If you are looking for fair then why not make everyone drive the same car motor and set up then the whole shootin' match would be fair.

GeT A FRIKIN LIFE...oh wait life ain't fair so let's change that too. that way little johnny won't feel bad if he dosen't win.
GrandeGixxer likes this.
You are defined in life by how you respond to defeat!
hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

....and, it finally gets political, yay .

Cypress: "Taxis" Thats pretty funny. 8 minutes, 10, whatever, I just wish more people at my local tracks wanted to run 12th in the first place!
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You are pretty good at this, Art.
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote