Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Gauging interest: HPI D8S >

Gauging interest: HPI D8S

Gauging interest: HPI D8S

Old 01-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Gauging interest: HPI D8S

Pros, cons, hop ups.... who has one? Normally I don't venture into the off-road side of r/c but I might with this one.

http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/106116/

Old 01-12-2012, 07:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Looks pretty good. Looks like the modular design of things will allow for easy cleaning and maintenance. Just curious G, what sparked your interest in this car?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Basically just an RTR version of the already popular (and successful) Hotbodies D8.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
Looks pretty good. Looks like the modular design of things will allow for easy cleaning and maintenance. Just curious G, what sparked your interest in this car?
About to get a little extra spending money

I was going to buy a plank (an R/C airplane) to complete my collection, then I thought about the lack of flying space I would have. I would like to pull one of the Picco Engines from out of the Yokomos I have lying around.....
Old 01-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Tech Champion

You could always get a micro plane if you want to fly. I wound up with a couple micro helis... still fly them around my shop here and there.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

You could always get a micro plane if you want to fly. I wound up with a couple micro helis... still fly them around my shop here and there.
I thought about bringing my two helis back to life, but I would want carbon composite blades, new helicopter glow plugs, fuel, yada yada yada.... not to even mention getting a decent esc, brushless motor and gyro for my Shogun V2....

Old 01-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Tech Champion

How about something... a little different:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ology-EFLU4780

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

How about something... a little different:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ology-EFLU4780

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Um.... I'll stick with planks and helis, thank you.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by lowroad View Post
Basically just an RTR version of the already popular (and successful) Hotbodies D8.
+1

The D8 is a decent buggy. This would be a good one to play with FOR AN RTR.

Downside:

1 )Pullstart engines are generally not great... and the pullstart itself is crap. (I mean in general, not this one specifically.)

2) Again, in general, I don't know the specific servos used... but servos on RTRs tend to be pretty cheap and "less than durable."
Old 01-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
+1

The D8 is a decent buggy. This would be a good one to play with FOR AN RTR.

Downside:

1 )Pullstart engines are generally not great... and the pullstart itself is crap. (I mean in general, not this one specifically.)

2) Again, in general, I don't know the specific servos used... but servos on RTRs tend to be pretty cheap and "less than durable."
You see.... I am a racer.....

As a racer, I require a bump starter... which means I would have to yank out the current powerplant in favor for the Picco 18 that is in my Yokomo MR 4 in the garage.

And as for servos is concerned I have metal servos in my nitro-powered machines.... but with an off-road rig, I will be built-proofing the entire front-end.

So what is the hop up list looking like for this?
Old 01-13-2012, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by GundamWZero View Post
You see.... I am a racer.....

As a racer, I require a bump starter... which means I would have to yank out the current powerplant in favor for the Picco 18 that is in my Yokomo MR 4 in the garage.

And as for servos is concerned I have metal servos in my nitro-powered machines.... but with an off-road rig, I will be built-proofing the entire front-end.

So what is the hop up list looking like for this?
Well... they make a list of hop-ups, but honestly the basic buggy is a pretty decent one right out of the box, especially for the price point. It is capable of winning races.

I don't think your 18 will fit... I could be wrong. And onroad engines have a different powerband than offroad ones.

Change the steering servo, and get rid of the pullstart (and put a decent setup on it) and go racing. I'd recommend one of the titanium-gear Hitec servos.

BUT... if you already have a radio, and servos, etc... why buy the RTR? Get the kit version.

How about telling us what you have that you could use, (radio? servos? engine?) and we can see if the RTR makes sense or not.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Well... they make a list of hop-ups, but honestly the basic buggy is a pretty decent one right out of the box, especially for the price point. It is capable of winning races.

I don't think your 18 will fit... I could be wrong. And onroad engines have a different powerband than offroad ones.

Change the steering servo, and get rid of the pullstart (and put a decent setup on it) and go racing. I'd recommend one of the titanium-gear Hitec servos.

BUT... if you already have a radio, and servos, etc... why buy the RTR? Get the kit version.

How about telling us what you have that you could use, (radio? servos? engine?) and we can see if the RTR makes sense or not.
I do not know much about the D8S, whether or not it come in a kit or it comes RTR. If it comes RTR, its wasting its time... I am gutting it. Then I will throw in a Hitec HS605BB High Torque servo for the steering and a used JR Servo for the throttle. I will still use old faithful; an Airtronics M8 with a Spektrum 2.4 DSM TX/RX modules.