Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Does anybody besides me hate short course? >

Does anybody besides me hate short course?

Does anybody besides me hate short course?

Old 11-29-2011, 10:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Does anybody besides me hate short course?

I'm not trying to rant, I just want to know if there is anybody out there who does. I hate them. Why are people so crazy about them? Whatever happened to 2wd buggy and stadium truck being popular classes? SCTs are not that great. And people say they saved the sport in a way. While that might be sort of true. I can think of more ways that they're bad.

I got out of racing back a few years ago and got back into it during 2009 and the sct class had taken off. I never got into it because I thought they were kind of a step back and driving them seemed to make people become bashers instead of racers. It seems like they're all people are interested in anymore.

At my local track its insane. Its almost impossible to run on the track with all the carnage the SCTs are making.

Again not a rant, just a question. I did actually rant about this on a local forum where I'm from and everybody got mad at me. So I'm just asking, does anyone else not like them?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Tech Prophet

lots of people like them some people dont like them i like the 4x4 sc and im looking to get one . Not to mention it cost less than building up a 1/8 E to run as a second class thats why a lot of people do it.

I started out racing 2wd mod truck il be honest the racing to me was good but as soon as you touch wheels you get tagled up or break .

If it gets people into racing and turnouts at tracks than i dont have a issue with that.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
lots of people like them some people dont like them i like the 4x4 sc and im looking to get one . Not to mention it cost less than building up a 1/8 E to run as a second class thats why a lot of people do it.

I started out racing 2wd mod truck il be honest the racing to me was good but as soon as you touch wheels you get tagled up or break .

If it gets people into racing and turnouts at tracks than i dont have a issue with that.
Thats a very elementrary argument. Thats the argument everyone gives. Learning to drive something that has no consequenses for banging against things only teaches people how to bash and bang. These new drivers are only learning how to bash and bang their short course truck and not learning how become smooth fast competitive racers and in my opinion its a detriment to the sport. And while it might be fun, you would be in serious denial if you said you didnt have a problem with it. Its not that I want them gone. I just wish people would give other things a try. Most people nowadays think short course hung the moon. R/c racing was so much better and more competitive before the plague of sct. Theres a place for bashing, its called the back yard. And thats where all short course should be in my opinion.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

To be honest, OP, sometimes I feel that way... I haven't run off-road in years, my last stint was with a B2 buggy running stock and sometimes mod, such a pure drivers class in off-road. ST was fun too. And before that, 4WD... It just boils down to "looks like what I can buy in the real world" and that's why it's popular. Not too many cats actually try to drive them, it's more like full-throttle demo derby with jumps. Now, would I ever run one? Maybe, I mean it could be fun, but really if it was my only option for racing
RC. I also like 12th scale, but like 2wd buggy it doesn't represent a "real life" vehicle, it requires actual set-up and driving... something a lot of people give up on real quick.

I don't hate SC, I would just like to see more of the older 1:10 scale classes in action. And I do realise that there are guys setting up and running SCT in a way that is top-notch.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

It's a hobby, relax.

If you're looking to go pro and you're that good, this shouldn't be an issue for you.

I started racing with SC and now have an RC8 and B44, no more SCT. What concerns me about running 8th is there's no real novice or beginner class for it anywhere near me. I am well aware I'm not a very good driver, but with the amount of time I actually get to race, I'm gonna be pretty much a beginner for a little while still. What would you suggest for someone like myself, stay home, race 8th and crash in to someone who's gonna get upset similar to yourself, or what?

Not trying to be smart, I'm serious. Knowing that I don't drive too well i get very concerned about getting in the way of, or hitting other people rigs. 8th is darn expensive and most other classes don't interest me.

Though I'll agree to an extent. I went to a much larger track where people were running all classes very well. When 4x4 SC came up, there was like a 7 truck pile-up on the first turn. Cracked me up though.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just wish that on-road will get back into action again....
Old 11-29-2011, 11:26 PM
Tech Elite

If you are liking the B44,Rook, get in with that 4WD crowd . I know times change, but, looking back to when I ran the class (88-89 ish) those guys were hands down the best wealth of knowledge at the track. It's the throttle control and proper lines you need (and will) learn that translate so well into other forms of racing, just MHO. I DO want a SCT, but honestly just for times I may go camping or up to the local park. I just don't get too jazzed up about them as a class of racing.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GundamWZero View Post
I just wish that on-road will get back into action again....
Well, next time you're in Bmore, let me show you what's up.... 3 outlets for onroad all within close proximity. Outdoors, indoor carpet, AND indoor asphalt.

And right now I'm in love with USGT style racing. We run silvercans and may the man with the best set-up win... I don't do too shabby .
Old 11-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Tech Prophet

=marooko;9976146]It's a hobby, relax.

If you're looking to go pro and you're that good, this shouldn't be an issue for you.

I started racing with SC and now have an RC8 and B44, no more SCT. What concerns me about running 8th is there's no real novice or beginner class for it anywhere near me. I am well aware I'm not a very good driver, but with the amount of time I actually get to race, I'm gonna be pretty much a beginner for a little while still. What would you suggest for someone like myself, stay home, race 8th and crash in to someone who's gonna get upset similar to yourself, or what?

Not trying to be smart, I'm serious. Knowing that I don't drive too well i get very concerned about getting in the way of, or hitting other people rigs. 8th is darn expensive and most other classes don't interest me.

exactly who cares where not racing pro or getting paid its for fun and relexing.
Oh yea banging wheels in 1/8 is going to happen do be afaid of it its offroad.

Though I'll agree to an extent. I went to a much larger track where people were running all classes very well. When 4x4 SC came up, there was like a 7 truck pile-up on the first turn. Cracked me up though.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-29-2011, 11:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by elikeatts View Post
Thats a very elementrary argument. Thats the argument everyone gives. Learning to drive something that has no consequenses for banging against things only teaches people how to bash and bang. These new drivers are only learning how to bash and bang their short course truck and not learning how become smooth fast competitive racers and in my opinion its a detriment to the sport. And while it might be fun, you would be in serious denial if you said you didnt have a problem with it. Its not that I want them gone. I just wish people would give other things a try. Most people nowadays think short course hung the moon. R/c racing was so much better and more competitive before the plague of sct. Theres a place for bashing, its called the back yard. And thats where all short course should be in my opinion.

Well i been racing offroad for about all together 5 years and raced 2wd mod truck 2wd sc, 1/8 buggy nitro now i race E-truggy and i run in a club level pro class. one issue is try running a 1/10 scale mod truck or a 2wd buggy on a 1/8 track with ruts yea they dont run to well on them thats one more reason why there is more short course trucks they can take it better. So theres been a lack of 1/10 scale outdoor tracks for a while thats why the staduim trucks have died.

Do you think if there was not sc trucks that there whould be outdoor tracks at least still open and have good turnouts ?

Like i was saying if it keeps my track open and many others i dont have a issue im not in denial heck im getting a 4x4 sc to run soon.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:47 PM
Tech Regular

Whatever! The r/c community is a lost cause. I never said I was pro or even fast. I am better than most but I remember a time when people went to the track to race and compete. Even though we werent making money we still viewed it as competitive racing. SCT just turns races into a bash fest. The only people who drive well in short course are the guys who started before SCT existed. There has got to be at least one person who sees it this way besides me. Casual fun and light-hearted racing/bashing are for the backyard. And I'm not saying theres anything wrong with that. But there are new racers who seem to not even realize that any kind of other r/c exists besides a short course truck. GOSH, I hate the stupid things. I'm SOOO sick of them.....
Old 11-29-2011, 11:50 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by elikeatts View Post
Whatever! The r/c community is a lost cause. I never said I was pro or even fast. I am better than most but I remember a time when people went to the track to race and compete. Even though we werent making money we still viewed it as competitive racing. SCT just turns races into a bash fest. The only people who drive well in short course are the guys who started before SCT existed. There has got to be at least one person who sees it this way besides me. Casual fun and light-hearted racing/bashing are for the backyard. And I'm not saying theres anything wrong with that. But there are new racers who seem to not even realize that any kind of other r/c exists besides a short course truck. GOSH, I hate the stupid things. I'm SOOO sick of them.....

Its fine you can have your opinion its a shame how much it cost to get into 1/8 scale if it was cheaper there whould be more newbies racing them insend of sc.

Actually there is quite a bit of guys at my track who arent rookies that drive in the 4x4 sc class.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:53 PM
Tech Elite

Sadly I think most 10th scale electric has moved to indoors on carpet based-tracks, and that ain't the fun of off-road to me. Ever gone blasting through a fast sweeper with a 2wd buggy that had mod-motor power strapped to it, on a nicely prepped clay surface? One of the best feelings in RC. I DO understand that 8th nitro is very popular, and SCT takes the beating delivered to the track much better. I will say that if I found out that good 10th scale electric racing was going on close to me, I'd be all about it again. But for now on-road is the deal, and 12th scale action can be found locally, so I'm set on that.

eli... just chill man, it is what it is. And for sure the fast guys were racing other stuff before SC. I agree, but not to the point that I want to just give up on the hobby because of the current trend.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:57 PM
Tech Regular

I'd rather have my tracks close down than have them dominated by short course maniacs. They may have saved many tracks, but they ruined the sport in my opinion. And I mean UTTERLY ruined the sport.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:01 AM
Tech Regular

Ok, I guess I'm sort of ranting now. I can't help it, the SCT craze has me in a angry stupor. Racers need to see the error of their ways.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.