Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
My updated Race Simulator .... lots of pics! >

My updated Race Simulator .... lots of pics!

My updated Race Simulator .... lots of pics!

Old 11-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default My updated Race Simulator .... lots of pics!

I have been busy with work and haven't had time to do my RCs during the day so I've been upgrading and putting more work on my Simulator at night times.

Here are some pics for people who are insterested in this type of hobby/toy :-)

Note : Most of the hardware used are the actual hardware used in real race cars :-)

The Simulator ...

On the left side of the wheel : Alloy stick = H-Shifter, Black Stick = Handbrake (for rally)

Tachometer, Speedometer, Fuel, Water etc ...

Button Box, Shift Lights, Speedo and Gear Indicator

Large Gear indicator and Speedo and pedals shift for F1 type of cars

Sequential Shift (Sparco) for GT cars

Different wheels for driving different type of race cars ... Aussie V8, DTM/GT, F1, F2

... with real D1 Spec "Quick Release" adapters set installed for easy (2 seconds!!) wheel change :-)

Customed pedals from a company in US. It has similar feel as the real TILTON RACING Pedals. The brake pedal doesn't use elect pot but it uses a "load cell" (a transducer that convert a force into electrical signal) so the amount of brake applied when you drive depends on how much pressure you push the pedals. Just like in your real car. These pedals feel so much better than my real car (Golf GTi)

Old 11-13-2011, 04:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Man, I am blown away. That is insane! Props to you buddy.

Nice way to make up for lack of RC time

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by 1; 11-13-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

:drool: Me want!

I love how there are little bits of r/c here and there on it. I've always wanted a setup like this or those ones with hydraulics that move to simulate inertia.

If you don't mind sharing, how much did this whole setup run you? And do you have a forum you can point me to for more research?
Old 11-13-2011, 05:09 AM
Tech Master

That is epic! I think I only saw 1 issue. You didnt put the specs of the computer!
Old 11-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I really want one of those Derek Speare Designs button boxes for iRacing. The Late Models are supposed to be getting a brake bias adjustment this week and some of my buddies have gotten me hooked on the V8 Supercar, and now that you don't need to own all the cars in a multiclass event I pulled my Corvette out of mothballs...

Sadly my setup only consists of a Thrustmaster RGT FFB Clutch with the pedalset bolted to the floor mat and an encyclopedia wedged underneath. 20" Asus widescreen and one of those old cheap plastic racecar seats finagled onto a barstool frame.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Dude, that is badass/silly at the same time.....

What does your other half say about it?
Old 11-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by civicruisin View Post

Without any disrespect to him, that setup's pretty moderate compared to how heavy you can get into simracing rigs; the big selling point here is he's got enough extra peripherals to make the rig fit a number of different cars (or atleast, car interiors). If you really want to you can drop $75,000+ on a simracing chassis pretty easily.

Which begs the question, why not just get a real racecar? Because while $75K could get you a Corvette and a number of weekends at the track, as anyone that's been involved in racing for any length of time knows, it's the upkeep and logistics that really makes up the cost of owning a racecar. In simracing there's no travel costs, no team to keep trained, happy, and fed, no transporter to keep filled with diesel, no tires to buy, and best of all you can completely write off the car and with a push of the button it's back to brand new. A service like iRacing just asks for $7.50-12.00 a month subscription plus a little one-time-purchase extra for additional cars and tracks, and you're set for life. There is no upkeep; once you have it, it's yours.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Disagree, looks awesome. Who cares what the other half says!
Old 11-14-2011, 12:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thats why he is riding a simulator and not a real ride!!
Old 11-14-2011, 02:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

OTE wasn't kidding ...

Originally Posted by virtualgt.com
VGT - Chassis only /// Chassis, no display; includes Standard PC /// VGT PRO-P0 /// $17,995

VGT - 50” Plasma /// 50” 1080p Plasma Display, Standard PC /// VGT PRO-PC50 /// $19,995

VGT- Triple 24" Display /// (3) 24” LCD Displays, Pro PC /// VGT PRO-PC324 /// $22,995

VGT - 50” Plasma, Motion /// 50" 1080p Plasma Display, Motion, Std. PC /// VGT PRO-PC50M /// $34,995

VGT - Triple 24" Display, Motion /// (3) 24” LCD Displays, Motion, Pro PC /// VGT PRO-PC324M /// $37,995

VGT - Triple 40 " Display, Motion /// (3) 40" LCDs, Full Enclosure, Motion, Pro PC /// VGT PRO-PC340M /// $45,995
Saw this a few years ago, if I had the money to burn, I'd have one. The crash at the end looks pretty violent
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by SloRacer1080; 11-14-2011 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Only if he's actually wearing the helmet while playing!
Old 11-14-2011, 02:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Shawn_S View Post
Only if he's actually wearing the helmet while playing!
No the helmet is for my other toy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
vrod-pic.jpg (49.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 11-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Heard of a few guys that iRace with helmets...tear the guts out of a headset and install them in an old helmet, much more comfortable.

Very slightly OT - cougar, do you run regularly in any iRacing series or just stick to hosted/league stuff?
Old 11-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
Heard of a few guys that iRace with helmets...tear the guts out of a headset and install them in an old helmet, much more comfortable.

Very slightly OT - cougar, do you run regularly in any iRacing series or just stick to hosted/league stuff?
I used to race regularly but not anymore. These days I just jump in it and drive for few laps after work. But I like to get my hand dirty working on the cockpit to make it as realistic as possible.