Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Just a thought.... EV Cars >

Just a thought.... EV Cars

Just a thought.... EV Cars

Old 11-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)
Default Just a thought.... EV Cars

A lot of people here race electric cars here. On-road and off road it doesnt matter the technology we use is pretty similar.

for the most part lipos and brushless technology has completely taken over the electric side of our hobby. personally a year ago it was completely foreign to me. i have learned a lot and its pretty amazing how much the efficiency of batteries and speed controls has gone up and the longevity of the motor has gone up exponentially..... here in lies where my thought comes in.....

i have been racing full scale cars and doing performance driving events since ive had my learners permit (7 years or so). i'd say im a pretty good driver, if any of you has done HPDE events im generally in the yellow run group. The car i take to the track is an uncomfortably streetable 93' Toyota MR2 Turbo.

its got around 320rwhp and a suspension set up for the track. it is far from fuel efficient and certainly not environmentally friendly on the emissions end ..... i am certainly not a "green" person when it comes to my cars.. i also never thought very highly of electric/green cars partly because of whenever i was into on road electric sedans about 8 years ago, but also because all of the offerings out there are prius like low performing cars and chevy volt. technically both are impressive achieving great fuel mileage and emission results but because the mantra behind both is that to increase the efficiency of the car and get the best numbers possible you have to sacrifice every bid of performance that makes a car fun to drive.

our modern electric rc cars have a compact speed controller that takes energy in and regulates it with great precision, we are able to tune its feel, its max power, and change how much power it uses. the motors we use are compact, develop loads of power, efficient, and almost maintenance free. our modern batteries are lighter, higher mah, higher discharge rates, and can handle faster charging rates.

add all of these things together and scale it up to a full scale car and you could see a high performance, high efficiency EV that can hang with anything out there, cost a reasonable amount, and give people like me who are interested in "going green" an option without giving up the performance we like. add in a high performance turbocharged small displacement engine (1.2-1.5l with a variable vane turbo http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...rbocharger.jpg making between 90-240hp depending on fuel mapping) that can be fuel mapped from high efficiency to high power via a small knob to power a generator creating a series hybrid that has plug in ability to go around 100 miles, and with a small (sub 10 gallon tank) can go another 300+ miles

i am studying to become a mechanical engineer. personally ive always wanted to get out of school and work for awhile while i built a shop to build race cars, however id love to do high performing ev/hybrid conversions instead.

all because i play with rc cars.

thoughts, questions, ideas please disscus

Matt
Old 11-10-2011, 06:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mdwalsh View Post
because all of the offerings out there are prius like low performing cars and chevy volt. technically both are impressive achieving great fuel mileage and emission results but because the mantra behind both is that to increase the efficiency of the car and get the best numbers possible you have to sacrifice every bid of performance that makes a car fun to drive.

our modern electric rc cars have a compact speed controller that takes energy in and regulates it with great precision, we are able to tune its feel, its max power, and change how much power it uses. the motors we use are compact, develop loads of power, efficient, and almost maintenance free. our modern batteries are lighter, higher mah, higher discharge rates, and can handle faster charging rates.

add all of these things together and scale it up to a full scale car and you could see a high performance, high efficiency EV that can hang with anything out there, cost a reasonable amount, and give people like me who are interested in "going green" an option without giving up the performance we like.
Tesla? http://www.teslamotors.com/roadster/

The problem is that scaling up the batteries costs quite a bit.

Keep in mind that the physical size of a 1:1 scale car might only be around 10 times larger than a 1:10 scale car, but the weight is more like 1000 times larger.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Master

Hybrids & electric cars imo are still in the infant stage of their times.. im a proud hi octane user & cannot see myself in some nugget hybrid.

10 years from now though.. who knows.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Tech Regular

People have been using electric vehicles in HPDE type events all over the globe for years. The mass produced EVs (Volt, Prius, etc.) are dumbed down intentionally, so thinking of using them in a competitive environment would be like racing a walmart RC vehicle along side a hobby grade RC vehicle. That mr2 can be converted into a ~12 sec. EV with relative ease. The cost varies...15,000-50,000 bucks, + or - mostly depending on the battery pack used. I've seen $35,000 spent on battery alone, but the cost of cells has been trending downward. As far as travel distance, Tesla claims 250 miles on a charge with their roadster, but that's optimistic. Just under 200 under average conditions is closer to reality.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The white Datsun in the left lane (White Zombie) is electric. Proud high octane user in the right lane.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

IIRC the White Zombie doesn't even use high performance batteries, it just has a massive stack of forklift truck batteries in the back.

I used to race electric cars competitively when I was in school. Not full size, but not RC either. Here's a pic of the last car I drove

Top speed was around 45mph if you had a long enough straight (bear in mind these were built for endurance, not straight line performance). Could go about 140 miles on two sets of car batteries, and performance wise, could absolutely rape a Shell Eco-Marathon car.

The most awesome bit? Made out of old school tables and plywood. Cost us about 100. Powered by a brushed 250w electric wheelchair motor. Another team ran with a 700w RC plane motor, and they could pull 55 no trouble.

Imagine if the same effort were put into a full size car; Don't convert, design from scratch around what you have.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up birds of the feather...

mdwalsh,

It was a long time dream of mine to work in the Auto Industry to 'Draw Cars' since grade school. Or so thats what i thought at the time. Over 20 years later my dream has come true. Since working for an EV startup i have learned that when its all said and done, the two are quite similar (RC vs 1:1 Mainstream EV). Being a long time RC enthusiast i remember thinking/imagining many times how awesome it would be to actually be able 'Drive' my RC Cars.. literally.. Well, the time has come where mankind will be able to do just that. Sans the 'Transmitter' EVs are here!! And the possibilities are endless.. ..for the rite price, of course.. Just like in RC..
Old 11-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Default Fastest electric vehicle

Take a look here: http://www.quimera-project.com/Html/...ric-GT-01.html I only miss the sound when the car is passing by!