Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Computer thread >

Computer thread

Computer thread

Old 09-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

Default Computer thread

Well, it may just be me being new here but I was unable to find a thread about computers (I know it is an rc website). I made a thread a few months ago on a different forum and it got up to 30 pages and is still going on without me.

So, if there is a good computer thread around Please post a link to it!

If not, well here it goes

You can say whatever you want about computers in this thread. Could be a pc, mac, heck even a cell phone. most people on the other forums listed what they have for computers.

I will just say what I have running right now.

hp compaq nc6000, this is my main machine that I use with a dell 19" monitor
60gb hdd
1.25gb of ram
1.6ghz cpu
windows vista/developer release of windows 8!

toshiba satellite a85
40gb hdd
512mb of ram
1.4ghz cpu
no os right now. Probably going to get linux

dell dimension 8250
200gb of hard drives
256mb of ram (soon to be 1gb)
2.53ghz cpu
win xp home edition

dell inspiron (some random model)
320gb hdd
3gb of ram
2ghz cpu
windows vista
Old 09-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
try this out

javascript:document.body.contentEditable ='true'; document.designMode ='on'; void 0

remove URL from address bar and paste that in

wont work in chrome (because of omnibox)

have fun
Old 09-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

first try = unspecified error
2nd try = nothing

chrome is better anyway. I dont even know why I keep ie lying around.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have learned to never ever ever ever say this following line around family.
"Yeh, I know a little bit about computers and how to fix them."

From that day on you are doomed to forever be the family tech guy

Cheers
Rob.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Works for me no problem. Just have to dig through program files to get to stupid ie. Try it in a basic page like someones google site. You should be able to edit the webpage. For example, be able to remove and change text or images. It is only displayed to you that way and doesnt actually alter the webpage. It'll be back to normal next time you visit the site.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ta04evah View Post
I have learned to never ever ever ever say this following line around family.
"Yeh, I know a little bit about computers and how to fix them."

From that day on you are doomed to forever be the family tech guy

Cheers
Rob.

yeah, I learned that the hard way about 4 years ago

But it pays off because they trust me to do stuff that is way over their heads and I normally get something out of it. Weather it is $40 or a new monitor. I never know. I have gotten two "broken" computers from them and 2 ps3s as well. I dont try to take advantage of them but I cant get them to take any money back and I really cant resist a free piece of tech. Normally I can do small jobs and get away with not telling them until we leave that i fixed it and they have no way to pay me. I cant believe how much places around here charge to do the simplest of things. Heck for $40 I will build a computer from the ground up. I love doing that sort of stuff. If it is really good hardware and I get to play around with it, I would probably do it for free. Places around here charge upwards of $100 to install antivirus.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TWRC View Post
Works for me no problem. Just have to dig through program files to get to stupid ie. Try it in a basic page like someones google site. You should be able to edit the webpage. For example, be able to remove and change text or images. It is only displayed to you that way and doesnt actually alter the webpage. It'll be back to normal next time you visit the site.
Oh, I got it to work now. SWEET!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nerdyrcdriver View Post
yeah, I learned that the hard way about 4 years ago

But it pays off because they trust me to do stuff that is way over their heads and I normally get something out of it. Weather it is $40 or a new monitor. I never know. I have gotten two "broken" computers from them and 2 ps3s as well. I dont try to take advantage of them but I cant get them to take any money back and I really cant resist a free piece of tech. Normally I can do small jobs and get away with not telling them until we leave that i fixed it and they have no way to pay me. I cant believe how much places around here charge to do the simplest of things. Heck for $40 I will build a computer from the ground up. I love doing that sort of stuff. If it is really good hardware and I get to play around with it, I would probably do it for free. Places around here charge upwards of $100 to install antivirus.
Oh I don't mind helping out now and then but when you get calls either late at night, out with friends, watching a big sporting even or worse still - at work and they tell you that their internet isn't working and can you help them fix it asap, that's when it gets a bit too much.

Funnily enough I used to work at a computer store and we offered a service to build pc's and install the customers OS regardless of where they got the parts from. However we used to put a sticker seal on the case and if that was broken and something wasn't working in the pc we'd charge an additional service fee to fix what was wrong.
If the seal wasn't broken we'd help them with the problem and help them to get it fixed it under the part that failed warranty.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well, it may just be me being new here but I was unable to find a thread about computers (I know it is an rc website). I made a thread a few months ago on a different forum and it got up to 30 pages and is still going on without me.

So, if there is a good computer thread around Please post a link to it!

If not, well here it goes

You can say whatever you want about computers in this thread. Could be a pc, mac, heck even a cell phone. most people on the other forums listed what they have for computers.

I will just say what I have running right now.

hp compaq nc6000, this is my main machine that I use with a dell 19" monitor
60gb hdd
1.25gb of ram
1.6ghz cpu
windows vista/developer release of windows 8!

toshiba satellite a85
40gb hdd
512mb of ram
1.4ghz cpu
no os right now. Probably going to get linux

dell dimension 8250
200gb of hard drives
256mb of ram (soon to be 1gb)
2.53ghz cpu
win xp home edition

dell inspiron (some random model)
320gb hdd
3gb of ram
2ghz cpu
windows vista
Well I have three, one laptop and two custom builds, my desktop and my HTPC.

My desktop is the monster:

And this is Zeus... for the moment:

http://www.overclock.net/specs.php?d...system&i=78593
Old 09-20-2011, 02:52 AM
Tech Master

Since I use my computer for actual work, my specs are in line with what I need it for
Old 09-20-2011, 09:54 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Here's my monster...

Old 09-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Don't ask me to list them all, but the four I have with me at uni:

Laptop 1:
Dell 1545
Dual core Celeron T3000
4gb RAM
160gb HDD
Arch Linux + Gnome 3

Laptop 2 (Found in a bin):
Asus L4L
1.7ghz P4-m
512mb
40gb HDD
Bodhi Linux (Ubuntu + e17)

Desktop:
AMD 3200+ (0verclocked by 200mhz)
1gb RAM
nVidia fx5200 (blew up my OC'd Radeon 9600 )
2x 73gb SCSI disks in RAID 1 (260mb/s burst)
Debian + KDE

Server:
Dell Optiplex GX60
Celeron 1.8ghz
512mb RAM
160gb and 120gb HDDs in LVM. 10gb for the OS, and 250gb for files.
Debian.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

Sorry, I dont have an account to view your pc's on overclocker but I imagine the are pretty cool!

joe of loath
I see that you are a linux user as well. My friend helped work on debian and he runs it on all of his servers. (how old is that anyway?)

ta04evah
That was a pretty cool idea. I wish there was a good place around here that would do stuff like that. I guess tigerdirect in naperville does but that is quite a drive. I know that my seal would be broken before I got home need to look at routing and how cool it looks.

Never had that problem with people calling at a bad time, but then again I dont do much other than fool around with computers and go to lans at my school. I cant believe that my school host lans, we even had a black ops tournament and the winner got like $150 or something.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

Never had that problem with people calling at a bad time, but then again I dont do much other than fool around with computers and go to lans at my school. I cant believe that my school host lans, we even had a black ops tournament and the winner got like $150 or something.
Hahaha thats awesome! Once in study hall myself and my friend (who is much better at coding than me) went to the computer lab and found someone had forgotten to log out. We used their account to do the following: We found the school has WinRAR on the computers (Why they have winrar, we will never know). A student's account usually isnt able to open the program files folder but we used winrar to open this. Then we used Run to open cmd and goof around
Old 09-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

One time I hosted a lan with 5 people over the school network using school computers and stuff. The only thing I could get running was ut99 goty because the computers suck. I told one teacher (who I know would never tell on me) about it and he said that I could get in a lot of trouble. For what? I see people fool around with cmd all the time. I know a person that has 500gigs of pirated movies on the school server! All I did was play a game and other people joined in. The tech guy there is nicknamed "recycle bin" because talking to him is like talking to a recycle bin. He doenst do anything just walks around with his precious macbook slowing down the school network with all sorts of shit that doesnt keep us from doing anything. He claimed that my friend who has the movies snuck into the school at night like ninjas and hacked the system. Only problem with that is the school security is about 10000 times harder to crack than that stupid network he has set up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.