Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
IT Geeks: Change USB Removable to Static Drive >

IT Geeks: Change USB Removable to Static Drive

IT Geeks: Change USB Removable to Static Drive

Old 08-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default IT Geeks: Change USB Removable to Static Drive

I have a CF disk thats basically non removable. How can I get windows to see it as a fixed disk? I cant find any tutorials or drivers aimed at 64bit OS's.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

I will throw my shot in the dark.....

Go to Computer Management > Storage. Select the hard drive in question and assign it a letter, you might have to even reformat the drive.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Tech Regular

Can I ask why you want to do this?

Windows uses fixed drives for caching, so if you happen to remove it, or someone else remove it without doing it correctly, could cause serious problems.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Tech Champion

To get writes off my ssd and more storage. Its an internal usb card. There is no possible way to disconnect/remove the card without dissemble.

If the card fails, then I lose that windows session. No big deal. Just buy a new card. As it is I dont use much of a paging file as I have 8 gigs of memory. Mostly just so it can write a log file if a BSOD happens. More, so I can put my windows temp directories, videos, pictures, downloads unto it.

And Gundam. Doesn't work. Its the driver itself saying "hey! I'm removable".
Old 08-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Tech Regular

You don't need to be worried about the writes to your SSD.

Let's say your SSD is 4GB, and could only do 200,000 write cycles before it's life comes to an end. Let's also just say that you were writing 1MB of data to the hard drive constantly, 24/7, all day long, non-stop. Let's also assume the controller for your SSD was flaky and wasn't leveling the data across the SSD properly. It'd still last you 12 years before you went through your last write cycle, now remember, that means it'd be writing, and erasing non-stop for 12 years.

Modern SSDs have wear leveling built in, this means it's not writing to a single cell over and over and then going 'Oh hey, this cell is dead, move on to the next.'

Don't even worry about write cycles.

Edit:
I also shouldn't have to say this, but anyone that has an SSD, do not defrag the drive. You do absolutely nothing for performance by doing this with an SSD. Period.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Error404 View Post
You don't need to be worried about the writes to your SSD.

Let's say your SSD is 4GB, and could only do 200,000 write cycles before it's life comes to an end. Let's also just say that you were writing 1MB of data to the hard drive constantly, 24/7, all day long, non-stop. Let's also assume the controller for your SSD was flaky and wasn't leveling the data across the SSD properly. It'd still last you 12 years before you went through your last write cycle, now remember, that means it'd be writing, and erasing non-stop for 12 years.

Modern SSDs have wear leveling built in, this means it's not writing to a single cell over and over and then going 'Oh hey, this cell is dead, move on to the next.'

Don't even worry about write cycles.
Netherless, it leaves more room for other items. As well as keeping a ssd from getting too full and thus slowing down as the algorithm tries to balance read/write areas.

So does someone know how?
Old 08-12-2011, 08:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oXYnary View Post
so I can put my windows temp directories,
Nope, can't do it. USB CF is WAY too slow, and doesn't work well at all for storing temp system data. Tried to do exactly that when I built my current SSD system to keep writes down on my primary drive, and using it literally brought my system to a crawl.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Nope, can't do it. USB CF is WAY too slow, and doesn't work well at all for storing temp system data. Tried to do exactly that when I built my current SSD system to keep writes down on my primary drive, and using it literally brought my system to a crawl.
I already did it and haven't noticed a slowdown (yet). I cant however get the page file on with the current removable status. I have gotten all my user folders like picts, videos, documents and such symbolic linked to the drive.

What temps exactly were you referencing? I am using a Class 10 SDHC 16gig fwiw.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Tech Champion

How about this. Do any of you have a C compiler for 64bit? I found this.

http://www.lancelhoff.com/downloads/USB_LocalDisk.zip

It however is only currently compiled for 32bit. I think though it included the code (.c file & make) as you can then recompile.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

lol, compiling on Windows

Try the 32 bit version, it may work anyway.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oXYnary View Post
I already did it and haven't noticed a slowdown (yet). I cant however get the page file on with the current removable status. I have gotten all my user folders like picts, videos, documents and such symbolic linked to the drive.

What temps exactly were you referencing? I am using a Class 10 SDHC 16gig fwiw.
system temp directories... system variables.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by joe of loath View Post
lol, compiling on Windows

Try the 32 bit version, it may work anyway.
Just like linux, using a 32bit hardware driver wont work on a 64bit system install..
Old 08-15-2011, 02:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
system temp directories... system variables.
I dont know what to tell you. Its working fine here. How much system ram do you have? What type of flash and speed were you attempting to put this on? What do you mean system variables? Like Documents/Videos? My user and windows temps are on it now with no issue.

You might like this program
http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinks...kshellext.html

It lets you make symbolic links easily in Windows. (Think like a shortcut that the system doesn't see as a shortcut)