Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Your opinion of boxers as a breed? >

Your opinion of boxers as a breed?

Your opinion of boxers as a breed?

Old 07-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

my parents are on their second boxer. both females. vary loyal. very smart and east to teach. they do need to run very often though. they can be pretty hyper...the one my parents got now...1st thing in the am when i wake up she bolts around thinkin its time to play...to be honest im not a morning person lol. im a pitbull fan though. i got a 3 1/2 yr old brindle and he aint the calmest dog either lol.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Oh, By the way, pic. This was about 3 months ago. It was cute and innocent then...
Attached Images
Old 07-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Tech Regular

Well, I personally would not own one again. Not because they're bad dogs, but because I'm far too lazy to devote the time and energy they need to thrive.
The one I had (Rocky...boxer...get it?) was;
VERY strong willed.
Very strong, and could do a WHOLE LOT of damage if bored when left alone. I can't stress this enough. There is NOTHING this dog could not completely destroy. Give him a brick and leave him alone for a while, come back to a pile of red powder. He pulled every bit of sprinkler pipe in the backyard right out of the ground. Chewed through a chain link fence. Yup he just un-wove the links/wire with his teeth, even though I had a very hard time doing it with pliers. Broke several 1x8 fence boards out of the fence by ramming them with his head. And countless other things. He was an escape artist and did not like to be left in the yard while I went to work. This wound up costing me a small fortune in fines.
Very friendly, loved kids, and loved to jump on people...including kids. Couldn't get friends to give him the ol' knee to the chest though, cuz everyone was scared of him, just because of the way he looked.
They do tend toward health problems though, and mine developed a heart problem which eventually caused his death. Common to boxers I was told. As much of a PITA he was, I was crushed when he died.

If you don't have a huge space for a boxer, and a lot of time to devote, I'd say, don't get one.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TedMosby View Post
Very strong, and could do a WHOLE LOT of damage if bored when left alone. I can't stress this enough. There is NOTHING this dog could not completely destroy. Give him a brick and leave him alone for a while, come back to a pile of red powder. He pulled every bit of sprinkler pipe in the backyard right out of the ground.
We got our American Bull when she was 11 months. She was getting ready to be sent to the local pound. The owners were in their fifties and probably wanted a lap dog, they did NOT have the energy and time for this little beast. She took down two(2) 6' palm trees they had in their yard, tore up the hot-tub cover, broke their sprinklers, ate the tires off their grandsons bike (HAHAHAHA!!) (( He cried. )) and a bunch of other stuff they had gotten fed up with.

She was in our yard during the day the first week we had her. At the time I worked about half a mile down the road, so i would come home to check on her at lunch. For about 4 days straight, I noticed she was at the back sliding door jumping and wagging her tail, but she was soaking wet!! Go in the back, look around, don't see anything. WT?! Day five, I decide to come home a little early as to "catch her in the act." Of coarse that didn't totally work because she already knew the sound of my car and garage, so she was already at the back sliding door jumping and wagging her tail.....soaking wet. So as I'm walking back there and get a full shot of the yard, I notice water shooting out of the center of the yard, about 4'-5' in the air. She had busted up the sprinklers pretty good. Good thing about it, it only took about several minutes for her to understand she wasn't allowed to play with them. It also helped that i changed the time they came on. LOL!!! Crazy bulldog.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ekd View Post
So far so good. He has been here a few hours, and I'm becoming impressed. He has asked twice to climb up... by looking me in the eye and putting 1 paw in my lap. Removed it on the first vocal only command. He comes up to me and looks like he'll jump up, but stops himself. He also responds to soothing tones by mellowing a bit.

He's not dumb. And, as a Dobe fancier, I learned to be damn stubborn too.

Also, unlike his sire, he does not snort, and is actually the driest mouthed boxer I've petted. His dad is a mobile snot dispenser. I have not met the dam.

He'll be back for more visits, including a few overnight/weekends before I will decide. I will admit I'm becoming charmed.
So what are you going to name him? I think Kafka said it best:

All knowledge, the totality of all questions and all answers is contained in the dog.

I got my first (and last) puppy this year and it sure has been a roller coaster. She did about 2K worth of damage to my house, but she's very smart and catches frisbees like a champ. She and her mom killed their first prairie dog last week. I've had them for about a year and they've already killed plenty of rabbits, squirrels, possum, and snakes. They may look harmless, but they're frickin' killers! Here's a bad picture of them after today's frisbee session.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0089.jpg (297.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

As far as slobber goes, it's only an issue when mine eats or takes a drink, other than that his mouth is dry and doesn't make a mess. Now before you read the following understand that for the breed my dog is NOT normal. My guy doesn't get the daily exercise that he should, my bad I know. At first he couldn't be left alone without being crated, he would find something expensive to chew on. For the last couple years he's been fine and pretty much sleeps....a lot! He'll play with the neighbors dog for 5 min. and then come to the patio door so he can take a nap Again he's a 1%'er, you try to give a boxer the lifestyle mine has and they will destroy your house! Maybe he's part cat I don't know

FYI, Boxers are an inside dog regardless of their size, if you want a dog that you can put outside and forget about it, this is not the breed for you. They are a very social breed and need to be treated as such. If you have any love for animals don't get a Boxer if this is your idea of having a dog..
Old 07-08-2011, 06:10 AM
ekd
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slashracer111 View Post
Oh, By the way, pic. This was about 3 months ago. It was cute and innocent then...
And not a clue what was about happen. Too cute.

Originally Posted by TedMosby View Post
If you don't have a huge space for a boxer, and a lot of time to devote, I'd say, don't get one.
I have space, and time (retired). I keep my dogs close, and busy when I can. I wouldn't consider a boxer otherwise... and still wouldn't if this guy wasn't so mellow. Back when Irish Setters were a fad, I think they set all records for damage to homes. Personally, I think their ignorant and negligent owners deserved most of it.

Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
So what are you going to name him?
They call him Opie. I haven't let myself get far into it enough to come up with one... yet.

Your girls look like loaded guns... quiet, but only for the moment.

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
If you have any love for animals don't get a Boxer if this is your idea of having a dog..
I hear ya!

M, she is adorable! The last pic makes you want to just hug her. Their coat's resemblance is uncanny.

Guys, as to sprinklers... If you lived constantly in the moment, got bored, and free toys started to pop up out of nowhere... you'd mod them too, I'll bet.

Be assured, I am taking this all seriously. I appreciate all your input, and it is obvious you guys care as much as I do about animals. I'm in good company here.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

ekd, it sounds like he will have a good home if you decide to keep him. Best wishes to you and your potential new friend.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:32 AM
ekd
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
ekd, it sounds like he will have a good home if you decide to keep him. Best wishes to you and your potential new friend.
Thanks, man.

I got some chain link panels, enough to make a nice big space for him to play when I'm resting, and we'll try some extended visits asap. I'm looking forward to it. I'm ready to bet we get along great.