Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Do you tip at Sonic?? >

Do you tip at Sonic??

Do you tip at Sonic??

Old 05-30-2011, 04:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Do you tip at Sonic??

Me and the woman went to Sonic a couple days ago and after waiting quite a bit longer than usual and the woman messing our order up, my gf tips her 5 dollars. I said WTF? I have never tipped at Sonic. Doesn't help the first time I went there I sat at the table like literally 3 feet from the door, order a $5 meal, give the girl a 20 and she asks if I want change back. Hell yeah, I'm not tipin you 15 bucks to walk 3 feet!!

Anyways, am I a prick for not tiping here?? I tip everywhere else, pending service.....

P.S.
Imagine I never offended you, I wanna hear honest opinions, not just that Im a prick because some on here don't like me.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I'm with you on this one. I really don't know what to do. 2 Sonic's have opened up in NJ over the past year, so it's all pretty new to us. I feel like I am supposed to tip the car hops, but I don't know for sure. So sometimes I do, other times I don't. Depends how much I am getting, and if the car hop is cute
Old 05-30-2011, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

sometimes i do if it just change and they are nice im like keep it
Old 05-30-2011, 08:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Bringing food to your car one time after ordering is not the same as somebody constantly coming to your table to refill water/drinks, taking away empty plates, etc. I don't tip the counter people at McDonald's and these people are doing the exact same thing, but on roller skates.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I occasionally let them keep the change(like 75 cents), but I don't "tip" them, and for all the reasons already listed. I usually just go through the drive through window, rather than sit and wait in a stall.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Are they making wait staff wages ( $2.89 ) or minimum wage ( $7.25 ) per hour?
Old 05-30-2011, 08:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Minimum wage, I worked there many many moons ago.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You can eat there for $5.?
Wow, can't even do that in mcdees in Seattle!

Your right, tip according to service.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by civicruisin View Post
Me and the woman went to Sonic a couple days ago and after waiting quite a bit longer than usual and the woman messing our order up, my gf tips her 5 dollars. I said WTF? I have never tipped at Sonic. Doesn't help the first time I went there I sat at the table like literally 3 feet from the door, order a $5 meal, give the girl a 20 and she asks if I want change back. Hell yeah, I'm not tipin you 15 bucks to walk 3 feet!!

Anyways, am I a prick for not tiping here?? I tip everywhere else, pending service.....

P.S.
Imagine I never offended you, I wanna hear honest opinions, not just that Im a prick because some on here don't like me.
Yes, you're being a prick. Just kiddin. If I tip its no more than 10%. But it seems like everyone is trying to gouge for tips. One restaurant we pick up to- go food from has a tip jar by the register. They are literally just handing a sack across a 2 foot wide counter. So far have never tipped there.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I look at it like Mcdonalds its fast food i don't feel that you should have to tip at fast food joints...Just my opinion
Old 05-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I only tip at alittle more upscale sit down type places where real service comes into play. Our sonic opened here a year or so ago but i never really did feel the urge to even try it and I doubt I ever will. Tips can be a bitch because sometimes the food sucked balls but the service was good so you still got to reward the girl for doing her job. We ate at a Buffalo Wild wings for the first time a couple weeks ago and the food was something I wouldn't feed a dog but the waitress was quick and polite so i tipped but will never be back. The worst is when yu are eating something like super hot hot wings and they don't pay attention that you have no beer left in your glass and they failed to set water out as well. Whether you get beer, Coke, whatever water should be there anyway so you have a backup beverage. I don't understand why tips are so limited to food industry, there alot of people out there doing public service type jobs that never get tips and i don't get it. I sometimes do vehicle service work and if time allows I will apply leather conditioner to seats and clean windows and vacuum floors for free. It would be nice to get alittle extra from people once in awhile.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
I only tip at alittle more upscale sit down type places where real service comes into play. Our sonic opened here a year or so ago but i never really did feel the urge to even try it and I doubt I ever will. Tips can be a bitch because sometimes the food sucked balls but the service was good so you still got to reward the girl for doing her job. We ate at a Buffalo Wild wings for the first time a couple weeks ago and the food was something I wouldn't feed a dog but the waitress was quick and polite so i tipped but will never be back. The worst is when yu are eating something like super hot hot wings and they don't pay attention that you have no beer left in your glass and they failed to set water out as well. Whether you get beer, Coke, whatever water should be there anyway so you have a backup beverage. I don't understand why tips are so limited to food industry, there alot of people out there doing public service type jobs that never get tips and i don't get it. I sometimes do vehicle service work and if time allows I will apply leather conditioner to seats and clean windows and vacuum floors for free. It would be nice to get alittle extra from people once in awhile.
You're not doing this work for $3 an hour (I hope), you're going that extra step to get repeat business and referals. IMO those extra things you're doing are what makes me decide weather or not I come back again. Don't think those things always go unnoticed even though you're not getting a "tip" for doing them.

We don't have Sonic in the midwest but if it's fast food and has a drive-thru, I'm not tipping. I don't think they make waitress wages at Sonic where tips are factored into there wage?
Old 05-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I don't eat at Sonic. I made that mistake once, I'll never do it again.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
You're not doing this work for $3 an hour (I hope), you're going that extra step to get repeat business and referals. IMO those extra things you're doing are what makes me decide weather or not I come back again. Don't think those things always go unnoticed even though you're not getting a "tip" for doing them.

We don't have Sonic in the midwest but if it's fast food and has a drive-thru, I'm not tipping. I don't think they make waitress wages at Sonic where tips are factored into there wage?
Really?? I figured Sonics were just about every where! Anyways,yeah, that's all it is is a drive in, you can't eat inside, pic for reference.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by marooko View Post
I don't eat at Sonic. I made that mistake once, I'll never do it again.
....me too..most fast food places suck but sonic brings it to a whole new level....if I want a burger it's In & Out..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.