Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
2 Gaming Options. Which do you suggest (PC or Xbox360) >

2 Gaming Options. Which do you suggest (PC or Xbox360)

2 Gaming Options. Which do you suggest (PC or Xbox360)

Old 01-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 2 Gaming Options. Which do you suggest (PC or Xbox360)

So in a sense, the gaming bug is biting me back again. I have two options that I am considering.

A) Buying a used Xbox360 from Ebgames, and using a 16Gb Flash drive as my hard drive.

B) Buy a new video card, along with a new processor, and a new hard drive (possible combos on newegg) for my old PC rig (also planning on running it with Ubuntu, would it be worth gaming on a Linux?)

So which one would be better budget wise?

Which one would be the best worthwhile?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Linux:Gaming::Oil:Water

If you upgrade the PC, stay with Winblows to game. If you have to have Linux, dual boot so you don't fall victim to the aforementioned analogy.

If you go 360, be aware that you are buying a 360. It will be replaced, and is non-upgradeable. The 360 is an old platform, and its' replacement will be here soon. Also, it will never render as pretty as a [strong]PC will. No console will. Ever.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phatkat View Post
Linux:Gaming::Oil:Water

If you upgrade the PC, stay with Winblows to game. If you have to have Linux, dual boot so you don't fall victim to the aforementioned analogy.

If you go 360, be aware that you are buying a 360. It will be replaced, and is non-upgradeable. The 360 is an old platform, and its' replacement will be here soon. Also, it will never render as pretty as a [strong]PC will. No console will. Ever.
The XBox is old, but it's still very popular and XBox live can't be matched in the amount of people that regularly game online. Plus, Microsoft just updated the XBox to make it more reliable.

From what I have read, Microsoft isn't planning on releasing a new console any time soon. The new style XBox, Kinect, etc are proof of that.

When you buy an XBox 360 you can play any game without any compatability issues or without being forced to fork over more money for upgrades.

With the PC you don't have this simplicity and the guarantee that you won't have to upgrade hardware when the next blockbuster game comes up. But you get much, much better graphics. But with so many games programmed for the console first, PC doesn't have the advantage it once did.

I used to swear by PC gaming, but have since become biased towards consoles.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

XBox all the way i ahve only replaced one in a year. my fault for playing for up to 10-12 hrs nights in a row. Heat is the enemy run an intercooler and leave it out in the open. Much more competitive on XBL. Now controllers i have wasted a few of those.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The XBox is old, but it's still very popular and XBox live can't be matched in the amount of people that regularly game online. Plus, Microsoft just updated the XBox to make it more reliable.

From what I have read, Microsoft isn't planning on releasing a new console any time soon. The new style XBox, Kinect, etc are proof of that.

When you buy an XBox 360 you can play any game without any compatability issues or without being forced to fork over more money for upgrades.

With the PC you don't have this simplicity and the guarantee that you won't have to upgrade hardware when the next blockbuster game comes up. But you get much, much better graphics. But with so many games programmed for the console first, PC doesn't have the advantage it once did.

I used to swear by PC gaming, but have since become biased towards consoles.

Kinect is a reaction to the Wii, and likely will be compatible with the next Xbox.

A PC, sure, you may need to upgrade sometimes, but not as often as some say. To have a better picture than a console, you won't have to upgrade for a long time. A mid-grade PC stomps a console, and only if you have to have the newest do you need to upgrade often.

I'll take a good looking game and large maps and more choices in gameplay over a console's wide market any time. Besides, with that wide market comes all the stupid kids that can't just play a game, they have to talk childish sh!t during the whole game. You don't get that anywhere near as much with the PC.

Also, a console only does console stuff, any extras are limited. With my PC, I can run all games, internet(freely), AutoCAD, pirate music, re-author DVD's, write code, and modify it in any way I feel. The versatility isn't even comparable.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DezSlash View Post
XBox all the way i ahve only replaced one in a year. my fault for playing for up to 10-12 hrs nights in a row. Heat is the enemy run an intercooler and leave it out in the open. Much more competitive on XBL. Now controllers i have wasted a few of those.

There's no reason that you shouldn't be able to run your console all day. I did, and sometimes still do, with my N64, and Xbox 1. The 360 is still unreliable.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

All I need.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Originally Posted by iRacing Partners page
In our vision, internet racing is not a peripheral and isolated activity that merely echoes motorsport in the physical world. Instead, we see internet racing as a legitimate, recognized branch of motorsport, one that will increasingly be fully integrated into the broad-based world of racing.
[/shameless plug]
Old 01-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

On the argument of 'Pc always looks better than console' ... Try scaling up the video from your pc to a 50" tv and then compare, use an hdmi out or dvi-hdmi adapter. Of course games look better on a little 20something inch monitor.

I was raised with consoles, not pc's for gaming. I do play some games on my pc, it's no slouch, but I still prefer a controller then keyboard/mouse. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be stuck on consoles forever, unless pc's get some sort of neural controller working
Old 01-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

They make "video game" controllers for PCs yanno
Old 01-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
They make "video game" controllers for PCs yanno
Yea I know, I have a Logitech rubmle pad thingy, and I use joy2key for some games. It's still not the same as the console, Gta4 was the closest.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SloRacer1080 View Post
Yea I know, I have a Logitech rubmle pad thingy, and I use joy2key for some games. It's still not the same as the console, Gta4 was the closest.
You can get a Xbox controller designed to be used on the PC, and a number of games support it.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scooter79rs View Post
You can get a Xbox controller designed to be used on the PC, and a number of games support it.
Yea, and M$ screwed joystick manufacturers by making it a closed proprietary system that you have to license to make such a joystick. In the old days, you could use whatever joystick you wanted on your PC. Now, M$ and "Games for Windows" requires/only see Xbox 360 controllers. So not only are you limited to a xbox controller, they don't sell the corded version anymore so you have to buy a wireless version and the overpriced bluetooth usb adapter, then the charger.

(Luckily there are work arounds)
http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

More bonuses for PC?
-Games are cheaper and have usually more updates. Each time a developer wants to make a change on a game on a console. They have to pay.
-You also dont have to foot another bill for a closed network (Xbox live).
-More options in input. If you are doing RTS or FPS, mouse and keyboard eat controllers alive. While bashers and action games, and racers, you can get specialized controllers for each on the PC. Console games are meant for console controllers and lack the sensitivity or options.

Dual Boot Linux and Windows. Some games you can get to work in wine. At one point there was rumors of a Steam port to Linux. But well who knows.

"Try scaling up the video from your pc to a 50" tv and then compare, use an hdmi out or dvi-hdmi adapter. Of course games look better on a little 20something inch monitor."
That would be your poor choice in graphics card. That is not a PC flaw.

I can say this. The revolution in gaming is neither console nor PC. Its tablets.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:18 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by SloRacer1080 View Post
On the argument of 'Pc always looks better than console' ... Try scaling up the video from your pc to a 50" tv and then compare, use an hdmi out or dvi-hdmi adapter. Of course games look better on a little 20something inch monitor.

I was raised with consoles, not pc's for gaming. I do play some games on my pc, it's no slouch, but I still prefer a controller then keyboard/mouse. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be stuck on consoles forever, unless pc's get some sort of neural controller working

I've used my 32" LCD, looks fab. Gotta have the POWAH to run that many pixels man!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:21 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by oXYnary View Post
More bonuses for PC?
-Games are cheaper and have usually more updates. Each time a developer wants to make a change on a game on a console. They have to pay.
-You also dont have to foot another bill for a closed network (Xbox live).
-More options in input. If you are doing RTS or FPS, mouse and keyboard eat controllers alive. While bashers and action games, and racers, you can get specialized controllers for each on the PC. Console games are meant for console controllers and lack the sensitivity or options.

Dual Boot Linux and Windows. Some games you can get to work in wine. At one point there was rumors of a Steam port to Linux. But well who knows.

"Try scaling up the video from your pc to a 50" tv and then compare, use an hdmi out or dvi-hdmi adapter. Of course games look better on a little 20something inch monitor."
That would be your poor choice in graphics card. That is not a PC flaw.

I can say this. The revolution in gaming is neither console nor PC. Its tablets.

Yep. yep, yep, and hmm. Tablets? Not for me.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

PC all the way. $50 a month for something I get for FREE with PC multiplayer just doesn't make sense.

And for the record, last time I upgraded was 2 years ago with stuff that was mid-range back then, and my machine is still going strong.

Oh, and there's the 1.6 Terabytes of HDD space, try that with a 360

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.