Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Computer preferences? >

Computer preferences?

Computer preferences?

Old 01-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Questions?? Computer preferences?

A friend & I were talking about how hardly anyone we know used desktops anymore with the portability of laptops. Just curious what kind of computers other members here use, Desktop, Laptop, PC or MAC?

<------------Windows laptop.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I am a diehard mac user. Have been for many years.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BuggyKing View Post
I am a diehard mac user. Have been for many years.

Everyone I know that has bought a MAC says they are awesome.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

desktop - Compaq
laptop - acer (gaming)
Old 01-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I like macs, for what I use a computer for it's hard for me to justify the money for a Mac, great computer but I can do what I do for a lot cheaper with a PC..
Home use: HP Desktop
Other: iPhone (so I guess sorta a Mac..)
Old 01-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

• MAC's are great, but way overpriced.
  • For a desktop, I'd go with either a Dell Inspirion or if your budget allows, a Dell XPS 7100 or XPS 8100.
  • I'd get a laptop, but a desktop offers the most bang for the buck, and you can upgrade it easily as your budget allows.
  • For a laptop, I'd go with an Asus or the newer HP Envy series. They seem to be the most reliable and carry the highest quality hardware.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The only difference between Mac, Windows, and Linux is software. I play games so I use Windows. Technically all computer's people own are PC's

Desktop (main system), Windows 7 64 bit. Annoyingly this system has been over heating the video card in this heat, cooling issue with the case.
Laptop, Windows 7 64 bit. My backup and has the printer.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Laptop that sits at a desk. haha.

If Mac wasn't so stuck on themselves and expanded years ago, they would have had a CAD program sooner, and I would probably have a Mac. But noooooooooooo, Mac doesn't want everyone to better their PC's, just themselves. Therefore, they didn't have a CAD program soon enough, so I invested in a Windows PC and CAD program. To the recycling bin with your proprietary bull. Although, that is a big part of them not having many viruses out......also why Windows runs the world with an inferior platform.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

laptops shmaptops, I have an ancient patched together Tyan super computer that's the size of a small refrigerator and sounds like one too.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/chat-lou...ml#post8437466
Old 01-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wanabrc View Post
laptops shmaptops, I have an ancient patched together Tyan super computer that's the size of a small refrigerator and sounds like one too.

Nice.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a laptop, but it's dying fast. A 17" HP Pavilion dv9000 from 2005-ish. Windows 7's resource needs haven't been kind to it, and with only the little fan in the back corner it overheats sitting at idle. The DVD drive likes to pop open randomly (and I do mean randomly, it can be sitting still on a table with nobody near it for ten minutes and for no reason eject itself), the battery is shot, the webcam doesn't work, and the video card's smoked. I keep it around just for portability's sake, if I want to browse the web in bed or as an internet radio in my R/C shop.

So I commissioned my goofy brother, who's the family PC builder, to build me a custom gaming rig.

• Apevia case
  • Asus M4A785T-M/CSM motherboard
  • ATI XFX Radeon HD 5750 video card
  • AMD Phenom II quad-core
  • Zalman CNPS7500-ALCU processor cooler
  • Western Digital WD5000AVDS 300-something GB harddrive
  • 4GB RAM (courtesy of a pair of 2GB OCZ PC3 8500 Gold Series DDR3s)
  • Asus DRW-24B1ST CD/DVD burner

Running Windows XP (because I use a lot of old software/games that don't play nice with Win7), and compete on iRacing with a Logitech MOMO Force Feedback steering wheel & pedalset, all while sitting in one of those crappy plastic racing seats (that no one in their right mind would install in an actual car) bolted to half a barstool frame
Old 01-05-2011, 05:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I used to run windows or Linux, and always thought of Macs as over-prized. But after switching two years ago, I couldn't be happier. The big difference is the OS. Mac OS is bloody awesome. I don't have to re-install every six months, don't have to spend time on maintenance, the fecal matter just plain works. You do pay a premium for the design, but as long as they are so much better than windows machines, it's worth it to me.

I'm not hopelessly lost in Apple land though, my phone is an Andriod.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

i had a desktop for 4 years no issues sold it and bought a laptop. 3 years later I was dying for another desktop so i got one. the laptop was a pain in the ass. batteries taking a dump, getting too hot. on and on. since my new desktop not one issue!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
I have a laptop, but it's dying fast. A 17" HP Pavilion dv9000 from 2005-ish. Windows 7's resource needs haven't been kind to it, and with only the little fan in the back corner it overheats sitting at idle. The DVD drive likes to pop open randomly (and I do mean randomly, it can be sitting still on a table with nobody near it for ten minutes and for no reason eject itself), the battery is shot, the webcam doesn't work, and the video card's smoked. I keep it around just for portability's sake, if I want to browse the web in bed or as an internet radio in my R/C shop.

So I commissioned my goofy brother, who's the family PC builder, to build me a custom gaming rig.

• Apevia case
  • Asus M4A785T-M/CSM motherboard
  • ATI XFX Radeon HD 5750 video card
  • AMD Phenom II quad-core
  • Zalman CNPS7500-ALCU processor cooler
  • Western Digital WD5000AVDS 300-something GB harddrive
  • 4GB RAM (courtesy of a pair of 2GB OCZ PC3 8500 Gold Series DDR3s)
  • Asus DRW-24B1ST CD/DVD burner

Running Windows XP (because I use a lot of old software/games that don't play nice with Win7), and compete on iRacing with a Logitech MOMO Force Feedback steering wheel & pedalset, all while sitting in one of those crappy plastic racing seats (that no one in their right mind would install in an actual car) bolted to half a barstool frame

I have that same CPU cooler in a box somewhere. Also have a Scythe Mugen 2 that I keep for a backup in case my watercooling takes a dump.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185142

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.