Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Hobby Shop Age limit - Help me with my essay plz :) >

Hobby Shop Age limit - Help me with my essay plz :)

Hobby Shop Age limit - Help me with my essay plz :)

Old 01-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Hobby Shop Age limit - Help me with my essay plz :)

Hey guys,
Iím doing an essay on allowing teens over the age of 16 work in hobby shops. All the hobby shops ive been to have requirements of being at least 18 years old, because you are selling nitro-methane and lithium polymer batteries.
I need your opinions. I donít want opinions on why kids that young SHOULDNíT work in hobby shops, I need opinions on why the(we)y SHOULD be able to work there.

So far I have:

Teens interact with teens more freely.
Just as many teens have r/c as adults.
Teens will come in with more problems than an adult, and telling another teen what happened is easier.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

That doesn't make sense to me. Sure, if you're gonna be a clerk, but is that the only position they have available?

Many businesses, such as food service, have a bar and underage staff. The underage staff don't sell the alcohol, problem solved.

You don't deal with the batteries or nitro, problem solved. You can help with parts, repairs, information and a variety of things. You could even help stock the shelves. Do these places only sell nitro and batteries? Did they say anything other than that as the reason?
Old 01-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think you're right Marooko, but I also think that local government would understand the situation at a bar & grill a lot sooner than they'd understand the situation at a hobby shop.

All else fails, see if you can work there off the books
Old 01-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

At a hobby shop you would only work there if you where interested in that hobby, so my thoughts

trouble shooting and problem solving skils built in a comfortable enviroment

comunication skils built between the teen and persons of all ages, sexs, status, and experiance.

more apt to pay attention, be on time

learn basic responsibility easier due to the nature of the work.

learn proper handling of dangerous materials

again just my thoughts.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

I dont like talking to teens when I go places. They typically have no clue what they are talking about or just start talking and talking and talking. Positives of teen workers: Typically will buy used stuff at a much inflated value.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well to be fair, you probably had teens not interested in your area. I'm sure if you get someone passionate about what they are doing, if they don't know, they will want to learn and listen to your experiences with that passion versus them talking.

On subject, show that passion, and more show its sustainable long term. Even after getting a girlfriend. That might convince them. I can see a point they arent telling you and mentioned above. Getting a teen because they are "cheap" can hurt a business. I knew a LHS that used one and I stopped going after the first few times with them because the guy new nothing about what he was selling. Never remembered us. Nor had enthusiasm.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

everytime i find myself in a life conundrum i ask myself "wtf would hillary duff do?"

-dane cook
Old 01-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oXYnary View Post
Getting a teen because they are "cheap" can hurt a business. I knew a LHS that used one and I stopped going after the first few times with them because the guy new nothing about what he was selling. Never remembered us. Nor had enthusiasm.
we have the same issue here.. the key is enthusiasm
Old 01-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Rustler, speaking from personal experience...... (Hobbytown)

99% of the customers I dealt with were either exclusively adults or children/teens accompanied by paying adults.

However, I'd say it was an even split in terms of either the adults were buying for themselves (personally involved in the hobby)and didn't need guidance or assistance, or they were buying for the first time for a younger person and had NO clue of anything.

The best of both worlds would be someone with the right experience and "street savvy" to work in retail while maintaining a younger enthusiasm as well as a non-biased opinion. I've known some employees that just wanted to make the biggest sale, and while it may be good for short-term profit, it hurts the hobby in the long run.

If a teenager is mature enough and capable of comprehending the retail aspect of it, give him the job!

I know this isn't necessarily an answer, just thoughts to ponder......

And every time I find myself hearing a Dane Cook joke, a small puppy is kicked......
Old 01-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Keeps teens time occupied and out of trouble, drugs, alcohol.

Learn responsibility.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCHR View Post
Keeps teens time occupied and out of trouble, drugs, alcohol.

Learn responsibility.
+1, Mark. Why get high on drugs when you can get high on RC?
Old 01-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

here something i should have noted
im 16, Ill go to my lhs and correct the employees, I know it doesn't really count, but I have been in the hobbby for. 9 years, the first 3 years I didn't know anything, but plug and drive, but I've been in the hobby longer than 4/6of the guys at my lhs, I think I can do some good, age is just a number.

Originally Posted by taco94 View Post
+1, Mark. Why get high on drugs when you can get high on RC?
LOL that made me laugh, but thats a very good point, thank you!

P.S.
for my final draft, i may be PMing/asking you guys for permission to quote ur post
Old 01-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rustler001 View Post
Hey guys,
Iím doing an essay on allowing teens over the age of 16 work in hobby shops. All the hobby shops ive been to have requirements of being at least 18 years old, because you are selling nitro-methane and lithium polymer batteries.
Thats strange about the fuel and batteries, its not exactly alcohol and smokes. But here you can be under 18 to sell stuff that only people over 18 can purchase.
I work at a hobby shop and when ever a kid has bought fuel they have been with a parent, but the parent is also providing transportation.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

If the kids interested and knows his/her way around an rc car, then I see no problem with it. I work at an auto parts store & I'll tell ya one thing, there are people just looking for a job & then theres people that want to work!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I work at a rc shop and i think your essay really should be about why parents shouldn't drop there kids off and let them stay there. That really grinds my gears its a place of minerature business.... not a day care
other than that, im 22 and i ussually know what im talking about and if i don't i state the fact i don't i dont try and bs my way through something. its not being a teenager that has any thing to do with that... it is the kind of person you are dealing with. I dont see why a teen couldnt work in a hobby shop but like me if they dont know what they are talking about they shouldnt pretend to. Every time some one asks me something i dont know i research it for future referance

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.