pioneer AVIC head unit
pioneer replacement speakers
10" replacment sub
kicker amps
thats one sexy car you got! very nice.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Anyone like car audio?

Yeah I've, & it's good to be................
Old 01-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hakmazter View Post
There is no one in this forum that knows 1/2 of what I do when it comes to car audio. Unfortunately, it has been slowly dying over the past 5 years. It rocked in the 90s and I made a lot of money in that industry.
um...excuse me?? I am pretty good too ya know..... I still do freelance installs, to keep my skills up.

Audio install isn't dying, its about how you tune your music. It sucks to have your system tuned.... for let's say, Miami Bass Music and then you switch to Alternative Rock. You lose sound quality big time.

I guess what I am trying to say is that peoples tastes in music varies according to what they like at that moment. Your system has to be able to change with the individuals' taste without having to spend a couple of hours with a tuning CD and tweaking the crossover networks.

SPL is alright... but I prefer SQ. Besides I rather people to hear my music, instead of wondering who is trying to escape my trunk.

I have an issue here though... why is it the "IN" thing to play music that sounds like it come from a megaphone, or ice cream truck these days? Heard a few cars like this as of late. Sounds tacky.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GundamWZero View Post
um...excuse me?? ...
+1 lol

Audio install isn't dying, its about how you tune your music...
I'm pretty sure he is referring to it as a business. Not as many people are dropping the cash for a nice a/v system these days. I got my certification right out of high school, and worked for a couple companies. But it was never as busy as it should've been, and it's only gone downhill since in my area at least. I'm pretty sure if you work in a major metro area (DC, NYC, SoCal, etc) you will find the people who are still into it. I for one, just do not want to work in NYC. I hate driving through there for any reason. Not to mention tolls are insane, $8 to get in, and depending on the way you leave it could be free or upwards of $11. Forget about parking, $30 a day and such in the lots.

Anyway, going off track here, I'll quit rambling now...
Old 01-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GundamWZero View Post
Audio install isn't dying, its about how you tune your music. It sucks to have your system tuned.... for let's say, Miami Bass Music and then you switch to Alternative Rock. You lose sound quality big time.
I had the same thing happen to me except I tuned to my music to a point that I liked with the the tuning and my brother decided to tune it "because it didn't sound good" and it ended up being worse for me. And he also complains about the fractory spec speakers in my Falcon being unable to handle loud music (I never listen to music that loud)
Old 01-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

I was referring to it as a business. Strangely enough, there are days where I feel this industry is following the same pattern, but who knows.

I will certainly admit that I am not an expert in the RC Industry, but I really was one in the car audio world. I literally did everything there was to do in car audio and electronics. It was my passion and my life. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have moved to a different state or maybe not turned down a few job offers, but Iowa treated me very well once I got into a store that was 100% commission.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Isn't it a little scary when you know DEI module #'s and their applications by heart? There are sooo many of them. That is still my 1 weakness in installing, remote starters. It doesn't help that the majority of the ones I installed were at a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealership. Jeeps are so frustrating to get working right. Gotta match resistors, learning those color bands actually did pay off here lol, and even when you used the proper resistor, it might not work. Even if I had just finished one in another vehicle, the same resistor value may not work in the next vehicle My manager would often be stumped right beside me. Spot deliveries with installs were always the worst.

In the end I am kinda glad it isn't my job, because I still actually enjoy it. I know all the mechanics in the shop hating working on their own cars, cause they already do that all day. Kinda the same thing for me and installing. I like to keep it more towards hobby, but getting paid for it again would be nice.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

time to move on to flashlogic son!!
1 module to do nearly all the cars! flash the unit with the appropriate firmware and wire it up. Many time there are only 4or5 wires needed to do a whole security/alarm. colorbands are for the birds! rarely do I have to use a relay and resistor. the new DEI stuff "db-all" is pretty good too, but imo the flashlogic stuff is superior!
Old 01-10-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

DBALL has plenty of issues. Idatalink are all good.

I did a remote start for a buddy the other day and I was surprised as to how much is being able to go through data now. I predict that in a couple of years that remote starts will be 3 wires and a lot of programming.

It would be sweet if they would convert over to usb port so you could hook up a laptop for programming.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

yea usb would be much better. those stupid little plugs always fail. I keep having to make new ones!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

I'm actually picking up a Python 991 remote starter soon for my car. I'm tired of the cold lol. It's a 99 Subaru Legacy, should be a cake install. Only minor hitch is it's a manual trans, I've only installed on autos, but shouldn't be a big issue.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Anyone like car audio?

Well i really like this as...

Walter
Old 01-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by offroader3 View Post
thats one sexy car you got! very nice.
thanks man
Old 01-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by helibrian View Post
+1

I'll take clarity over volume any day of the week.
+2

I'm a 2 channel, vacuum tube home audio guy. The best car audio Ive ever heard (by far) was a McIntosh head unit controlling McIntosh amplification powering Dynaudio speakers. absolutely stunning!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CHRIS CHAVEZ View Post
+2

I'm a 2 channel, vacuum tube home audio guy. The best car audio Ive ever heard (by far) was a McIntosh head unit controlling McIntosh amplification powering Dynaudio speakers. absolutely stunning!
You need a Milbert!

http://www.milbert.com/mobile

+3 on clarity. I detest muddy bloated bass in particular.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.