Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Any airplane pilots here >

Any airplane pilots here

Any airplane pilots here

Old 12-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Any airplane pilots here

Any airplane (I mean real airplanes not RC) pilots here?

I've been flying for almost 8 years now and just getting into the RC car hobby (I've been "flying" rc airplanes for 3 years.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Got my PP ticket in 2000. Been flying R/C since the mid 90's.

Used to race R/C a lot too, but I'm just lurking here to see what the scene is like. I wish there was more on-road racing going on here where I live. I'd get another car in a second.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Student, about 50 hours, have solo time in tailwheel (Citabria.)

Just haven't taken the time to go play with the examiner...
Old 12-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

Really cool.

How did you like flying Citabria?

I got Commercial Single/Multi and CFI. Got my Tailwheel sign off in the J3 and C140 this past summer-really fun experience.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by Misiek View Post
Really cool.

How did you like flying Citabria?

I got Commercial Single/Multi and CFI. Got my Tailwheel sign off in the J3 and C140 this past summer-really fun experience.
Citabria is a lot of fun. I've got a few hours in a J3, completely different. Sports car vs. minivan kind of thing... but the J3 has it's own charm.

Of course you can't do aerobatics without parachutes with 2... but you can spin it if you are planning to get your CFI. It is a lot of fun to spin it.

I needed the tailwheel time because I intend to build (well, already started actually) a WWI replica... and due to the nature of those, time in just the J3 wasn't going to cut it. A J3 will just make you think it will bite you... the Citabria actually will. I guess te best way to describe it is things happen faster, but the principle is the same. My first flight in the Citabria I couldn't keep it centered to get it off the ground! It took me 3 tries just to get it airborn. Now it is like second nature.

It absolutely WILL teach you to pay attention to the rudder. BTW having the brake fail on one side is an interesting experience... I got "what in the *@&$ do you think you are doing?" from my instructor as we headed for the edge of the runway... I actually responded calmly "I think we just lost the right brake." I got it straightened out and let HER taxi it back.

A few weeks later a guy she knows showed up with an Antanov AN2... so we got to go for a ride, with her as PIC... and she lost the left brake on landing. That resulted in a slow-motion ground loop- lol
Old 12-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Citabria is a lot of fun. I've got a few hours in a J3, completely different. Sports car vs. minivan kind of thing... but the J3 has it's own charm.

Of course you can't do aerobatics without parachutes with 2... but you can spin it if you are planning to get your CFI. It is a lot of fun to spin it.

I needed the tailwheel time because I intend to build (well, already started actually) a WWI replica... and due to the nature of those, time in just the J3 wasn't going to cut it. A J3 will just make you think it will bite you... the Citabria actually will. I guess te best way to describe it is things happen faster, but the principle is the same. My first flight in the Citabria I couldn't keep it centered to get it off the ground! It took me 3 tries just to get it airborn. Now it is like second nature.

It absolutely WILL teach you to pay attention to the rudder. BTW having the brake fail on one side is an interesting experience... I got "what in the *@&$ do you think you are doing?" from my instructor as we headed for the edge of the runway... I actually responded calmly "I think we just lost the right brake." I got it straightened out and let HER taxi it back.

A few weeks later a guy she knows showed up with an Antanov AN2... so we got to go for a ride, with her as PIC... and she lost the left brake on landing. That resulted in a slow-motion ground loop- lol

My first airplane ride (back in Poland (that's where I'm originally from) was in Antonov An2-surely this is my favorite airplane and I would love to get a flight in it and log it-of course.

Did you happen to have any type of contact info for whoeve was flying that Antonov ( I would love to get in touch with that someone...)
Old 12-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Misiek View Post
My first airplane ride (back in Poland (that's where I'm originally from) was in Antonov An2-surely this is my favorite airplane and I would love to get a flight in it and log it-of course.

Did you happen to have any type of contact info for whoeve was flying that Antonov ( I would love to get in touch with that someone...)
I don't have any contact information. I think you might not want to fly that one anyway... it has not been very well maintained from what I could see.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
I don't have any contact information. I think you might not want to fly that one anyway... it has not been very well maintained from what I could see.
Thats the way they should be

Awesome. An 2 is a really great airplane. Let me know in case you will ever need any help regarding flying, flight schools etc.