Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
buying stuff from a LHS >

buying stuff from a LHS

buying stuff from a LHS

Old 11-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default buying stuff from a LHS

I'm torn.. I've bought some cars online, and from the for sale section of this site, but like to frequent the LHS to get parts. Why? because I like the guy that owns it, he lets me and my kids use his old track to drive on for free, and because I feel a bit guilty for buying stuff online. HOWEVER, I hate the fact that I'm paying soo much more, and while it's convenient to just pick up a part here and there when I need it, it's maddening to have to order something that should be a common part (mod 1 pinion?) and I know will cost more than just placing an order from amain. Then have to wait for it forever. The mini slash parts I ordered a month ago (which were in stock everywhere else) are still not here.

Basically I'm bitching just to bitch, but this seems like the right place to do it.

Anyone else have the same mixed feelings about the LHS?
Old 11-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Yes. Except for the guilty part. Everything else is almost spot on.

Good people, I'll always go. Some times a part is harder to get, other times it comes in super quick. Some times I too have to order what I think is a common part, other times I'll walk in and see the MIP CVD's I was gonna order earlier in the day. Hmm, what do ya know, I can go home and install them right now. Chaching! Or the big bore shocks I've been thinking about getting for my buggy. Because they're nice people, I'll go as long as they're there, but I'm not gonna pass up a good deal elsewhere. And sometimes when not passing up that deal, I'll get something else I needed, because it's convenient. But when it comes down to it, I will always try to support a local business, and would much rather have actual human interaction.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

I have really only felt this way about this particular place. He's a pretty good guy, who will invite kids to bring their broken cars in, and he'll show them how to fix them. My past experiences with LHS's when I was younger was the feeling I was wasting the owners time because I wasn't buying a plane, or modeling stuff.. RC cars were like snowboards to purist skiiers.

There's another shop in town that has 3 tracks and an active racing crowd. I stopped in there this past weekend, and the guy behind the counter tried to give me a 48pitch pinion after I said I needed a 19T Mod1.. he asked what pitch that was.. errr??!!! I asked if they raced 1/8 scale there, and he said yes but no one races AE, they race losi. except that I bought the car from someone that races there. I don't understand how shops like that stay in business.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yup. I like supporting the local stores, but sometimes it can be really frustrating. I've decided to now buy most things I can from the hobby shop at the track I go to. He always has a great selection of parts for pretty much every kind of car that people run at the track(especially my chassis) as well as racing tires and a great selection of bodies and tools and a few high end kits. He charges a bit more than some of the online shops, but after shipping and brokerage fees (if ordering from the US) it would end up costing about the same. I love the track, so I'll contribute as much as I can to keeping it going.

The LHS closest to me will no longer get my business if I can help it though. I've had similar issues ordering parts from them like the OP and they basically just cater to new people they can dupe into buying an overpriced RTR. They sell nothing for racing. No premounted slicks, few bodies and no high end kits. I just can't support them if they won't support racers.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ya I love to support my LHS. But here is the issue they don't carry everything. Like for example Xray parts are not always being sold at LHS. So I have to go on line get what I need etc.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I bought my first true mid-grade nitro buggy from my LHS and I'm glad I did. The guys helped me with breaking in the engine and fixed it when it turned out the clutch wasn't put on quite right at the factory.

They are nice guys and their prices are fantastic. Most online stores have Hitec's 965MG for $70 or close to it. I got mine for around $55 from my LHS. I got my DX3S from them when they were just released for like $230 too. The same or cheaper than anywhere online can offer. Some things are cheaper online, but not everything. They printed me a lost receipt once too with no trouble to get something fixed with a warranty. I think it can be worth an extra couple bucks to have someone who can help you out. Not saying online stores have bad service, some of them are great, but it's not quite the same.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

We need a ton of ancillary parts with running a home track... theres always something breaking...LOL

I tend to order a LOT of my parts online... and when I get a chance on getting over to the LHS (30 minutes away) then I see if they have them in stock... one think I learned a long time back was that the LHS while having fantastic prices seems to take forever to get a part in. To add to that I used to got a decent discount... and I have spent thousands there... now all of a sudden I am not getting one... so that just means less time spent there and more buying online...
Old 11-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't really have a lhs. There is a hand full 40min to an hour away. When I need a part I look online then call around. If someone has it in stock or can get it fast at a good price I will order it from them.

I go to 2 main hobby shops(1 I just found few months ago). I will be the first to say I will pit them against each other and buy from the one that gives me the best deal.

Both hobby shops have a "club" where you spend $100 you get a $5 credit to spend at a later date. One will only let you use one $5 credit at a time. The other will let you use more then one at a time on larger purchases.

Some of my hobby shop stories
The two shops are about 20-30min apart

I went to hobby shop looking to get a brushless 1/16 E-REVO. They didn't have any in stock. They wanted me to pay full price for the brushless upgrade kit and the brushed rtr. That would have come out to be more then the brushless rtr kit (if they would have had on in stock). Took me a few to talk them into doing it (told me 2-3 times they couldn't) but, I finally got them to put the upgrade kit in it and sell it to me for the price of the brushless rtr.

After I bought my 1/16 E-REVO I toasted my esc and had plains a few days later to run it so couldn't wait to send it in to traxxas. So I went to the hobby shop where I bought the truck from to buy another motor/esc (upgrade kit) for my truck and a upgrade kit for 2x4 slash. They was higher priced than the other shop by $15 on the kit for the E-REVO and think it was $5 on the slash kit. It wasn't till I was walking out the door that they agreed to price match. They said they was looking it up on tower hobby and that's who they matched. Guess the other hobby shop had the same price as tower.

Next I wanted the 1/10 E-REVO
Check Tower and few other online place then called around. The place I got my 1/16 from had it in stock and price was about $50 higher then Tower. They wouldn't budge on price so call the shop down the road. Not only did that shop have it for $20 less then the first shop but they agreed to match Tower and let me use ALL the $5 credits I would earn from buying it and take that off the price as well. I'm sure you all know where I bought my 1/10 from!!

Well then last week I decided I wanted the limited ed. mini lst2.
The first shop had them for $150. The shop I got my 1/10 from had them for $170. I called the second shop and asked them to price match. They was hesitant at first then agreed to price match. I told them cool and told them I would be there to get it the next day and would be using my $20 coupon they emailed me. The guy put me on hold,came back and told me they couldn't match it and let me use the coupon. Needless to say I bought it off ebay for $140 shipped to my house.

Guess my point is I'll shop local and spend few extra dollar. If im saving a bunch of money or can get the part faster its online for me!!

Last edited by GIX1000_07; 11-30-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (96%+)

My two LHS just blow... The one was nice when the kids father owned it before he passed away and now they dont carry anything... Then Hobby Town dont get me started.... ask for B4 parts they asked if it was a plane then asked for 48 pitch pinions and they never heard of that.....lol wtf. Same with sensored bl motor.... they had no idea what the harness was for. You pretty much have to "know the part number" and order and wait a week or two and pay more then just going to tower, stormer or ebay
Old 11-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My "LHS" is a hobbytown... carries nothing for anything that i would/could race. The tracks ill be racing at are at least an hour+ away in 3 different directions. The two closest tracks dont even have shops. So my situation isnt really the best, no "real" LHS to support here.

They are good for basic stuff; lipos, paint, misc stuff. I can usually find gears and oils i need. Sometimes i can even find a set of tires id like to run.

So what do i do? I make bulk style orders for things i think ill need from the internet... So far it works "OK" but it would be nice to shop around in an actual store, or know that if i need something now i can just go pick it up. Hell my last order i grabbed a bunch of known breakables just to keep me going should i break anything. Feels like i ordered half of a kit in pieces...
Old 11-30-2010, 06:52 PM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Hobbytown sucks They don't know nothing about r/c but could tell you everything you need to know about magic cards and kits.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Tech Regular

Sounds like some of you guys have it a lot worse than I do. I feel guilty for bitching.. HOWEVER, I was in there tonight and they still don't have my parts in. They did get some parts in that would work, but it's obvious they ordered the wrong ones. I needed oem toelinks for a mini slash, and they only stock mini revo parts and full vehicles. They got in 3 sets of aftermarket $35 toelinks, and what I asked for was the $6 oem ones. They'll never sell them, because no one buys mini slashes there, because he doesn't stock them.
The odd thing about the place is that they have a lot of parts on their racks for cars not even made anymore. I actually found some stuff that fits my JRX2.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Not sure about your guys LHS but my local ones have Distributors so what they carry then they get. But the problem is getting the parts you need that your LHS doesn't carry.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by marvinbeaverdip View Post
They'll never sell them, because no one buys mini slashes there, because he doesn't stock them.
The odd thing about the place is that they have a lot of parts on their racks for cars not even made anymore. I actually found some stuff that fits my JRX2.
That's exactly why my LHS (hobbytown) will never carry a decent parts inventory... there's a 90% chance it will all become deadstock. I'd bet cash money that everything on their parts wall are special orders that were mistakes.

I buy from plenty of LHS's over the internet.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)
Default Im in your boat

I like my local shop, sometimes I can get parts for a reasonable price and other times I pay max. suggested retail price. I do not like this. I could have got my Revo wing for $10 shipped, but went to my local shop and payed $14 plus tax. I used to go there on occasion for help or a screw, connecter, clips, etc.. He asked "where do you buy parts" and told me he would offer me the same price and have it as quick. Well I end up paying a good bit more and when I give him part #s to order he wont tell me there on back order after a week. But he's help me when I was a newbie so many times and there an older couple that have had the shop for 30 yrs and he's having medical problems and I want them to stay there and I know he struggles to pay his medical expenses. So I order some online now and some from them. To sum it up..I want to support my LHS, but I pay so much more than I should.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service