Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Is it Really Worth Racing! >

Is it Really Worth Racing!

Is it Really Worth Racing!

Old 11-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Is it Really Worth Racing!

I wonder what they bring home if they win??

Is really worth being fast...after all the expenses we spend.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

That is what is fun about it. To compete and win is awesome.
Wish it wasn't so pricey though.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Tech Prophet

um yea of course they are ways to race cheap and 1/8 nitro racing trust me i do it and it works !

plus, it makes you think of haveing fun and not worry about the crap happeing espially the goverment.

i dont win a lot but as long as im not last im ok with that.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

If you're asking, the answer for you is; No. Or, you could approach it differently. I tend to be fairly competitive in situations like this, so it's worth it for me. I didn't want to start because, financially, it's hard for me. I went to the track having not ever been to one, and wanting to at least bash in a designated area, no intention of racing. I liked the idea of learning how to drive, and jumping on a track, so I went. The competitive side is coming out and I'm preparing to race, I just haven't had the time.

My point is, you don't have to go to the track to race (assuming you don't go now), you can go on practice days and just have fun. You'll probably end up finding something that is "worth it", for you. Besides friendly competition, I'm learning something new and meeting new people. These things should never get old, and are always worth it.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I wouldnt do any RC if I didnt race, I tried bashing around the house when I got started but it got old quick. Racing just fulfills my competitive side.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whiterice View Post

At best a bowling trophy, maybe a gift certificate..race bucks..
It's fun to race, I don't bash at all, I just find it boring..it's one thing to think you can "drive" it's another to know you can drive..
Old 11-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you think you're getting into R/C for money & fame, you might want to reconsider...
Old 11-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
I wouldnt do any RC if I didnt race, I tried bashing around the house when I got started but it got old quick. Racing just fulfills my competitive side.
X2

If your (op) wondering about the factory fast guys like Maifield, Drake, Cav., and the like are well compensated.

There was a video floating around here a while back, I think from 2003, that interviewed the top drivers and gave the earnings, maybe someone can find it.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mHOUPS View Post
There was a video floating around here a while back, I think from 2003, that interviewed the top drivers and gave the earnings, maybe someone can find it.
That video was a joke/parody with made-up, imaginary numbers.

Suffice it to say that only a handful of top pro drivers make enough from racing alone to support themselves with the earnings. 99% of them have other jobs, usually working for one of their sponsors.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stephen_bess View Post
That video was a joke/parody with made-up, imaginary numbers.

Suffice it to say that only a handful of top pro drivers make enough from racing alone to support themselves with the earnings. 99% of them have other jobs, usually working for one of their sponsors.
Like the old joke..know how to make a small fortune in RC..start with a large one.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

$1000 R/C car +5 minute race= $3 trophy
Old 11-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 376 (100%+)

Racing is not a source of income, its our bowing night, our movie night, our book review club, our AA meeting night , our building a plastic model ship night , our riding a motorcycle with a bunch of friends weekend......generally is the same as you doing something you love to do and be among other gear heads who enjoy building a scaled down version of a race car and competing with a bunch of people to see who can win.It's one ''hobby'' or ''activity'' that really brings joy to one's life. In fact I always joke around with people who have no clue about the hobby that I love to participate in, I tell them:'' Do you know why some people play sports ? '' When they ask ''why?'' I tell them : ''because they don't have an rc car ''. The beauty of our hobby is that we all compete at our own pace/level or even price range. Every body is on a '' different clock'' ...so to speak (just like as we qualify) The trick is not to burn out and be out of the hobby in a year or less. The more you stay in it........the more you get out of it,eventually I want to bring my five year old son into the hobby because this can teach him a lot of neat skills and some form of ''procedure '' and discipline. (and hey !!!! don't forget the trophy girls...!) So in closing ,nobody should let the results on the scoreboard, ruin the whole experience. Good night and god bless.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:50 AM
Tech Champion

your last comment is where the answer is found imo - race to your budget.

I use foam tyres until they are down to the rim, my chassis isnt the newest out there, but I know that when I can keep up with the fast guys, (and suprisingly enough, it does happen now and then )

I know I am pleased with myself for not spending a small fortune, unlike some who break out new tyres etc for just a club race

Spending too much and taking the hobby too seriously can burn some people out of the hobby very very quickly. (i've been there!)
Old 11-29-2010, 03:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Oasis View Post
Like the old joke..know how to make a small fortune in RC..start with a large one.

Indeed; that also applies to opening/owning your own R/C hobby shop and/or track.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket View Post
$1000 R/C car +5 minute race= $3 trophy
$1000+ on an RC car and accessories

$100+ on a 12 hour day, entry fee, spares, and really bad Chinese food for lunch.

Passing your buddy on the last lap so you get that $3 trophy and he doesn't...priceless!!!

Face it folks we race for egos. If it weren't for that rush you get when you finally pass that guy you haven't been able to beat in weeks none of us would do this. No matter how much you say you're going out there just to have fun every week you think this is the week everything is coming together for you. Without that it's not worth going.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.