Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Is it Really Worth Racing! >

Is it Really Worth Racing!

Is it Really Worth Racing!

Old 12-21-2010, 04:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
This is the best post in here so far....Rc racing in general is exactly like Golf or Bowling. You can do it at your own level....yes if you want to step up to the big league then you will need to spend some extra time and money doing so.....but at the same time there are plenty of people at your own level for you to compete with. This hobby is exactly what you make it....if you want to be fun and low cost...then itís up to you to do so...if you donít then you will spend more and do more. Exactly like Golf and Bowling....you can get better clubs and balls as you get better but up front they are just a waste until you know how to use them to their fullest. There are very few people that are making a living off of RC racing....so enjoy it much like people playing Golf or Bowling do...itís a nice way to spend some time with friends as well as make new friends in the end you make it as competitive as you want it to be.
Several people have said it's expensive to start racing. It really depends
what classes your local track offers. I really wanted to get into touring cars,
well I found a saddle-pack touring car, I thought that was the car for me
and so far it is the car for me. A Yokomo YR4MII Pro was for sale used.
I only payed $100 on tamiya club for it.
It has carbon fiber and aluminum a-arms even thou im not a big fan
of aluminum A-arms, the car has held up fine for the last year nothing
has broken. Maybe im just lucky.
Since I had a 8.5 brushless system put back for the car, I didnt need
anything else since the car did come with a high speed futaba servo installed.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:43 AM
Tech Initiate

The difference between an expensive hobby and a sport is....

....a sport has spectators.

That said, racing onroad electric is EXPENSIVE! I have raced for 20 years and do fairly well (don't look up the results from MSI recently!!).

I also race "real" cars in teh LeMons and Chumpcar series. The racing there is cheaper! You spend a couple thousand dollars getting the car prepared for a race (same as an RC car if you include batteries, chargers, etc.). Then, you need a hotel for the weekend (same as big RC race).

The only expenses you have are towing the car to the race, gas, and tires and brakes. The tires are only about $700 for the entire race. Gas is about $400 for the race.

The best part is, the costs are split 4 or 5 ways. And you get about 4 to 6 hours of wheel time in the car over the weekend (WAAAAYYYY more than you get with RC racing). And you CAN win money!

I only race RC in the winter to keep racing!

Rob