Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Gran Turismo Racing League >

Gran Turismo Racing League

Gran Turismo Racing League

Old 11-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by locked View Post
Do any of you guys just use a controller to race?

Doesn't it seem strange that the default configuration uses buttons for gas and brake? I switched it to the triggers on my friend's system, but it just seems weird they would make it on/off switches as the default. The fact you can control the cars at all like that just confirms my opinion that it's a nice looking arcade racer. A sim, it is not.
Actually, those buttons are pressure sensitive, just like the last two versions of the game. I like that, because I want continuity with the controls. I always thought a trigger gas pedal was lame.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

The game doesn't seem to have an area where you can change the car's setup, like camber, toe, gear ratios and ride hight. I can't even change to the tires I want. Am I missing something, or did they do away with that?
Old 11-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

As far as the controller, I can't do it any more. Using a wheel gives you so much feedback about how the car is doing. It's hard enough without feeling the g-forces, at least knowing when the tires lose grip helps.

When I did use a controller, I always changed my settings to use the right stick as my throttle/ brake, and triggers for shifting.

Another huge advantage to the wheel, since mine is specifically for GT, I have access to real time adjustments. In the middle of a race I can adjust traction control, stability control, brake bias, when 4wd the center diff bias, abs, and I think there are a couple more. Very useful when what you chose at the beginning of the race ends up not working too well. And the horn button finally has a purpose!! lol

As far as settings, like camber and whatnot, just before the you start the race, there is the settings button to use for that. Just remember you have to buy the respective adjustable kit.

Anyone else trying to use the Eye camera for face recognition? It's supposed to basically rotate the camera when in the in-car view, following your head. Would be very helpful on some tracks.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
Actually, those buttons are pressure sensitive, just like the last two versions of the game. I like that, because I want continuity with the controls. I always thought a trigger gas pedal was lame.
hehe. and I always thought buttons for gas and brake was lame. I didn't realize they were pressure sensitive, but that really doesn't make it much better. The entire throttle range and brake range would be within about a mm.

I've always just had a pc and xbox, then xbox360. I've never owned a playstation. I figured this game would be about the only thing besides bluray that might make me finally buy a ps3, but it's looking more and more like I'll probably never own one. I'm just not that impressed by it.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SloRacer1080 View Post
As far as settings, like camber and whatnot, just before the you start the race, there is the settings button to use for that. Just remember you have to buy the respective adjustable kit.
Ok, but I still can't change out my tires. Hard sport tires don't work vary well at 190 MPH.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket View Post
Ok, but I still can't change out my tires. Hard sport tires don't work vary well at 190 MPH.
Play Forza3 instead
Old 11-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The game doesn't seem to have an area where you can change the car's setup, like camber, toe, gear ratios and ride hight. I can't even change to the tires I want. Am I missing something, or did they do away with that?
Oh yeah... you are not looking...

You have to go to the tuning shop to make those adjustments... but you have to buy the parts first. Once you buy and install the parts, you can make the adjustments.

From your lobby, go to Garage> Select car> Tuning. From there you will see a list of components from Body Chassis to Tires.

For example, I bought the Sports Transmission:

Select Transmission and it will show you the stock tranny and the sports tranny. there is a dial icon you can select to adjust the gear ratios of the car.

You must make the changes to you car at the Garage, NOT AT THE TRACK!!!

Guys.... the adjustments, cars, licenses and not readily available as soon as you plop in the disc. YOU HAVE TO EARN THEM!!!

For instance:

You will not be able to buy this car the way it is. This is what was done after I tune it and bought the necessary packages. I still need a racing tranny because its lacking in straightaway speeds.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:33 AM
Tech Elite

The game has a serious bug. Apparently it won't let you select any type of tires. The only thing that comes up is the close icon. I don't know if this effects all the games, but it's a problem for me.

I have to say, I'm disappointed that they let something like this slip by them. And a bit disillusioned by the game in general.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:13 AM
Tech Champion

Didn't tires become an option later in the game in previous versions? I haven't played Grand Turismo since PS2, so I may be confusing it with Baja Edge of Control...

One of my racing buddies had long anticipated this game. He played it for one afternoon, hated it, deleted it from his PS3 and gave it back.

He basically said there was no damage modeling(which I couldn't care less about, pretty sure somebody said it can be turned on), and that he played for a long time, only making it to level 5.

I still want to try playing it, but I have no intention of buying it right now.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

hehe. and I always thought buttons for gas and brake was lame. I didn't realize they were pressure sensitive, but that really doesn't make it much better. The entire throttle range and brake range would be within about a mm.

I've always just had a pc and xbox, then xbox360. I've never owned a playstation. I figured this game would be about the only thing besides bluray that might make me finally buy a ps3, but it's looking more and more like I'll probably never own one. I'm just not that impressed by it.
I havent had GT5 yet, but on GT4 if you have any motor control at all it is quite easy to modulate gas/brake via the buttons.

To foxxrocket, I assume youve bought option tires, cuase you have to buy them before you change them.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

If you have the credits, you can buy and use the tires. Damage is there, you just have to keep hitting the wall.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

The game has a serious bug. Apparently it won't let you select any type of tires. The only thing that comes up is the close icon. I don't know if this effects all the games, but it's a problem for me.

I have to say, I'm disappointed that they let something like this slip by them. And a bit disillusioned by the game in general.

YOU CAN CHANGE TIRES!!!!

I suggest you read the manual.

.........seriously....
Old 11-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Play Forza3 instead
He wants to "race, not "play". lol.

Check it out on a good setup sometime. I can't say that I have, but from the little I've seen and played, I want a wheel setup. hahaha. The game is just as good to look at for me, as it is to race.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you have the credits, you can buy and use the tires. Damage is there, you just have to keep hitting the wall.
foxrocket did you even try?? haha you could change tires just buy them from the tuning section then put them on..not that hard really...
Old 11-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by marooko View Post
He wants to "race, not "play". lol.

Check it out on a good setup sometime. I can't say that I have, but from the little I've seen and played, I want a wheel setup. hahaha. The game is just as good to look at for me, as it is to race.
Oh man.... you should see the beast of a Z34 (370Z) I built.

At first, I put in all the 541hp I can fit under the hood, then I went and made it light as a feather (well almost). Man the thing drifted everywhere!! I saved a replay for when I throw it up on youtube. But this one race, I couldn't win for the life of me....The Circuit De La Sarthe '09.

So, I am thinking "it's the tires..." I was running Sports Hard.

I went and bought (foxrocket... listen up) a set of Racing Medium Tires and installed them in the garage and went back to the track....

And those cars dusted me again right from the starting line....

So now... I am like WTF??? What did I miss?? Then I figured it out:

I missed the Triple Racing Clutch,

The Racing Flywheel,

The Carbon Driveshaft,

Even the Racing Transmission!!!

Bought those parts (even got the fully adjustable suspension for good measure), installed and tuned the car and took it back to the track.

Guess what?

I lost.

But this wasn't your typical smoking session, the car took off like a rocket!!! I was capable of catching the cars and eating them up on the corners, but I really have to battle them to maintain position on the long straights. End the end, it was my lack of driving skills (kept getting into the dirt) that cost me the win (I came in fourth). But I know that with more practice, I can beat them.

Oh by the way, I was running against a pack of Super GT (JGTC) cars, a Citroen GT Supercar, A JaguarXJ220, a couple of BMW McLaren F1 GTs, and a Hypermax Mitsubishi Evo IX.

Now I am working on a '10 Nissan GT-R Spec V... I am already sitting at 547hp stock, and have yet to modify it....

Pics follows....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.