Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Handicap Friend looking for help >

Handicap Friend looking for help

Handicap Friend looking for help

Old 10-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Handicap Friend looking for help

I met a older gentleman tonight that use to race RC until he had a stroke. He's interested in getting back into RC BUT he is in a wheelchair and has no use of his right arm.

He asked me if I had any suggestions on how to operate a radio with only his left hand, throttle and steering. I had no real answers besides from hanging the radio from a strap, steer like you would normally and use one of this smaller fingers for the throttle.

I know that there must be others out there with the same problem and would love to know an answer that I can pass on to him.

Thanks in advance.

Blue
Old 10-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How about a 2.4GHz aircraft stick radio and then just use both channels on only one of the sticks?
Old 10-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I knew someone who just operated a wheel radio with one hand. He would steer with his thumb. It can be done easily. Pass it on.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

There's a guy at our track who was born with a short arm; it terminates just past his shoulder. Have your friend go to

http://www.mikeshobbyshop.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=3

and PM cowhornz. I imagine he could share a few pointers about 1 or 1.2 hand driving.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

gashuffer; I thought about this too. When i grab my Futaba 3PK in my left hand i can turn the steering wheel with my thumb. I don't have big hands or very long fingers, but i still reach it without any discomfort. Maybe a little modification on the steering wheel is needed to make it more grippy where the thumb meets it, or maybe a peg sticking out like a joystick. This regards not just my radio, just general talk
Old 10-26-2010, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 210 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lidebt2 View Post
I met a older gentleman tonight that use to race RC until he had a stroke. He's interested in getting back into RC BUT he is in a wheelchair and has no use of his right arm.

He asked me if I had any suggestions on how to operate a radio with only his left hand, throttle and steering. I had no real answers besides from hanging the radio from a strap, steer like you would normally and use one of this smaller fingers for the throttle.

I know that there must be others out there with the same problem and would love to know an answer that I can pass on to him.

Thanks in advance.

Blue
can he move his feet? there was an article a few years back that a buy with 1 arm had a modified radio that use a kick pedal for a drum set for the throttle and with the good arm he controlled the steering.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

there is a computer company that makes "neural mice"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826100006

there may be some way to modify that through a computer to have it help control?
Old 10-26-2010, 06:08 AM
Tech Regular

Lots of good suggestions here. Here's one more....

Many of us old airplane guys will remember an old Kraft airplane radio that had a wheel on one of the sticks. So, one stick controlled three channels. Typically, up/down controlled the elevator. Back and forth controlled the ailerons. Turning the wheel controlled the rudder. If this could be adapted with modern electronics, it would be ideal.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Does he mind the use of a stick instead of a wheel? I have an idea...

It would require some fabrication, but you've got my attention. It wouldn't even take THAT much work... and I think I still have an old DX2 (which are worth nothing anyway, I just think I happen to still have it) so if he had a Spektrum receiver that would work. Of course that's a "slow" radio...

What if: you steer with a stick like a computer flight joystick, and used the trigger for throttle? I mean put the "wheel" in the base and move the whole radio like a "joystick..." Could mount it on the arm of the wheelchair.

If that's of any interest let me know, I'll see if I can figure out a way to do it. I can't promise it will be pretty though. For that matter it might even be do-able without even modifying the radio internally... just an external mechanism that holds the radio and replaces the wheel with a linkage.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Simplist would be like what others have said. Steer with your thumb. It is easy to do on some radios like the Traxxas ones, and the helpful part of the Traxxas radio is that it doesn't have a ton of turning radius. You can reach full lock steering in both directions with just your thumb. I do it all the time when I am just messing around in a parking lot and I want a cig, or when I'm just being lazy. And I do not have big hands.

Beyond that, I'm sure we could collectively figure something out for your friend. I am a licensed Mobile Electronics Installer/Fabricator, so I would be glad to lend a hand fabricating anything needed. I can make it look pretty, lol. Fiberglass, molded plastic, wiring etc...
Old 10-26-2010, 08:38 AM
ekd
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post

What if: you steer with a stick like a computer flight joystick, and used the trigger for throttle? I mean put the "wheel" in the base and move the whole radio like a "joystick..." Could mount it on the arm of the wheelchair.
I have pondered this, as I'm planning to make an RC "mule" to carry stuff when I'm stuck in my chair. I think it would be a great idea, especially if it didn't require a lot of custom work to duplicate.

I'll help in any way I can. Anything to make getting out of the house more fun will keep his remaining functions at a higher level.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
can he move his feet? there was an article a few years back that a buy with 1 arm had a modified radio that use a kick pedal for a drum set for the throttle and with the good arm he controlled the steering.
was going to say the same thing,he could also paint he painted a harvick shell scheme on a caddy body
Old 10-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Lots of good ideas. I especially like the idea of a foot control. Adapting a set of pedals from a console game wheel would be a fairly simple task. It could be as simple as running extension wires from pot A to pot B.

For a fast easy solution though, I think a guy could just clamp the wheel solidly to his wheelchair and just turn the rest of the TX for steering. A couple zip ties and you're good to go. I'm not sure if this is the same thing Domit was thinking of. Of course, I guess right or left hand would come into play, but you could use a M11 or something similar.

Of course I've used my thumb for steering many times, it just takes a little getting used to.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm prolly thinking the same guy as gashuffer...

he is a member here. the guy is a stellar driver, frequently owns me on both on & off road (but that is not saying much )
Old 10-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by helibrian View Post
For a fast easy solution though, I think a guy could just clamp the wheel solidly to his wheelchair and just turn the rest of the TX for steering. A couple zip ties and you're good to go. I'm not sure if this is the same thing Domit was thinking of. Of course, I guess right or left hand would come into play, but you could use a M11 or something similar.

Of course I've used my thumb for steering many times, it just takes a little getting used to.
This is a really good idea too. Very simple. Quick photochop for a visual...(should have mirrored the wheelchair image )

I just happened to only be able to find an M11 with a straight on shot

The red is the bracket of course, could use velcro strap to grab the wheel. The bracket could also wrap around the wheelchair arm. Again maybe velcro straps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.