Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Handicap Friend looking for help >

Handicap Friend looking for help

Handicap Friend looking for help

Old 10-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I'm actually even thinking that if you fixed a rod to the base with a pivoting mount at an angle to the main hinges, and attached the other end to the bottom of the steering rod, again with a pivoting mount, when you leaned the controller left it would still pull the steering the proper way. And when leaned right it would push the rod turning it right. Thus eliminating the bellcrank all together. Again, all I am trying for is taking the motion from one axis, and switching it to another.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SloRacer1080 View Post
I'm actually even thinking that if you fixed a rod to the base with a pivoting mount at an angle to the main hinges, and attached the other end to the bottom of the steering rod, again with a pivoting mount, when you leaned the controller left it would still pull the steering the proper way. And when leaned right it would push the rod turning it right. Thus eliminating the bellcrank all together. Again, all I am trying for is taking the motion from one axis, and switching it to another.
just reverse the servo operation in the radio.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'll try to put this idea into words. Here goes

Use a similar rocker base as was posted in this thread, but place springs under each side. Mount it so the wheel on the radio would be facing the driver. Mount a pulley or bellcrank on the back of the radio's grip near the trigger and another one on the end in front of the trigger. Mount 2 posts to the solid base on the close left corner and the far right corner a little higher than the trigger. Tie 2 strings to the trigger, one on the throttle side that goes through the pulley on the grip side and attaches to the post on the left and the string from the brake side through the pulley at the front to the post on the far right corner. Bellcranks might work better than pulleys.

It would make it so you rock the radio forward for throttle and pull back for brake. Might be a bit strange, but if you got the neutral angle and tensions just right, it could work I think.

I still think the simplest solution is using a single stick on an aircraft radio or even better would be one of those twist stick aircraft/heli radios. It would need to be 2.4gHz though so you don't get in trouble for using the wrong frequencies.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Digit09 View Post
just reverse the servo operation in the radio.
Well yea theres that, but the actual reason I said the mount needs to be flipped is because the motion will be an arc at top of the steering rod. If it's mounted on top, that follows the motion of the top of the wheel, mounted to the bottom it's the opposite.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

well my oldest son has an idea too. lay the radio flat with the steering wheel facing up. Discard the steering wheel and replace it with a pistol grip / trigger assembly. twist the grip left and right to steer and create a cabled push / pull assembly for the throttle / brake. sounds pretty good too.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by locked View Post
...I still think the simplest solution is using a single stick on an aircraft radio or even better would be one of those twist stick aircraft/heli radios. It would need to be 2.4gHz though so you don't get in trouble for using the wrong frequencies.
Agree, just wanted to mention there are surface stick radios too. Perhaps one with more than 2 channels could be used, to get both channels on one stick? I'm not sure, just wanted to throw that out there, maybe someone does know if such a model exists.

Always been one of the best aspects about our little hobby, how well it accommodates those with various challenges. Frequently some of the best guys to race with too, seem to generally have a very good perspective on things.

Kudos to all for trying to help out, good stuff.

Last edited by Dave H; 10-29-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by helibrian View Post

If i had a workshop now i would have made this just for fun to see if it works. But sadly i doesn't - yet! Im in between two houses now and my workshop is placed in cardboardboxes I like this idea.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
can he move his feet? there was an article a few years back that a buy with 1 arm had a modified radio that use a kick pedal for a drum set for the throttle and with the good arm he controlled the steering.
I haven't come back in here in a few days, but when I first read this I told the misses about it and that was her first response.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

Before you guys get all "Rube Goldberg" on this thing, just go and see if he can do it with one hand. Trust me, the simplest thing will win out. I've built 6 or 7 different things to help me fly helicopters over the past 15 years, I even had Horizon build me a special radio. But I just learned to adapt to what is out there.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:28 AM
ekd
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Although I can reach the wheel with my thumb on my Losi radio, I cannot with the TRX.

Could this be as simple as making an egg shaped wheel, and limiting the travel a bit? Or a short travel, extra large wheel?

Either would make both of my wheels easier to use.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Tech Adept

Keep it simple stupid....is always the best.
there was i guy racing when i was a teenager, that was racing with one-hand.
he wasnt the fastest of racers, but did ok i thought.

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck View Post
Before you guys get all "Rube Goldberg" on this thing, just go and see if he can do it with one hand. Trust me, the simplest thing will win out. I've built 6 or 7 different things to help me fly helicopters over the past 15 years, I even had Horizon build me a special radio. But I just learned to adapt to what is out there.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

i know of a guy named Mitch that races at ocrc and wcrcr that only has one arm. hes actually a real good driver too. he uses his thumb to steer the wheel. i think he uses a KO Propo remote.