Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
California reduces possession of marijuana from misdemeanor to “infraction” >

California reduces possession of marijuana from misdemeanor to “infraction”

Old 10-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default California reduces possession of marijuana from misdemeanor to “infraction”

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has signed a bill that essentially puts those caught possessing small amounts of the drug on the same level as those caught speeding on the freeway…

“The only difference is that because it is a misdemeanor, a criminal defendant is entitled to a jury trial,” Mr. Schwarzenegger said in a statement that accompanied his signature. “In this time of drastic budget cuts, prosecutors, defense attorneys, law enforcement and the courts cannot afford to expend limited resources prosecuting a crime that carries the same punishment as a traffic ticket.”…
Old 10-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C_O_jones View Post

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has signed a bill that essentially puts those caught possessing small amounts of the drug on the same level as those caught speeding on the freeway…

“The only difference is that because it is a misdemeanor, a criminal defendant is entitled to a jury trial,” Mr. Schwarzenegger said in a statement that accompanied his signature. “In this time of drastic budget cuts, prosecutors, defense attorneys, law enforcement and the courts cannot afford to expend limited resources prosecuting a crime that carries the same punishment as a traffic ticket.”…
That is a bit suprising..honestly, personaly I think it's a mistake to reduce the fine for a small amount and yet it's still a crime to sell on the streets. No matter what you guys think of me, I'm still against "street drugs" and the criminal element that goes with it, their are people who take advantage of everything, it's to bad that in the eyes of many..one bad apple spoils the whole bunch.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

A government attempt to subvert Prop 19 to be able to still collect fines?
Old 10-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Tech Lord

I had though the very same, fines with no due process, no court fees and I bet it's still the same fine. I tell ya Ca. does some strange things when it comes to it's laws, just try to figure out the gun laws..they only enforce what makes them money..
Old 10-02-2010, 12:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

what ever the government has got to do to make more money.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:00 AM
Tech Legend

Hey Fred , State of Washington is $150 for under 40 grams .

and just a ticket

been that way for years

over 40 grams ?

Class C felony , $1200+ in fines
Possible day in jail even ....
Old 10-02-2010, 01:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Hey Fred , State of Washington is $150 for under 40 grams .

and just a ticket

been that way for years

over 40 grams ?

Class C felony , $1200+ in fines
Possible day in jail even ....
I wonder why you know this....
Old 10-02-2010, 01:59 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Shirk View Post
I wonder why you know this....

I know all ....

Note : My Bad,been a long time sense I looked it up and now days its $250+....

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 10-02-2010 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Tech Lord

I know my "buddy" storydude1 has a few misunderstanding about where I stand over legalizing drugs so here goes..
Why marijuana should not be legal..
If nobody else suffered directly from using illicit drugs, the user makes a victim of himself. The law has an important role in protecting people from themselves. In some countries it is a criminal offence to not wear a seatbelt in a car. For these reasons illicit drug use has in most cases been made a criminal offence, but there is no point in having criminal laws unless those caught breaking them will at least face prosecution. Less serious offences, such as failing to complete a census form, may also attract a criminal record, so the contention that criminalizing drug use is draconian can be seen as overstatement. The notion that illicit drug use is a victimless crime and that everyone should be free to do what they want with their body disregards the web of social interactions that constitute human existence. Affected by an individual’s illicit drug use are children, parents, grandparents, friends, it's no less victimless than alcoholism.
I do believe that medical marijuana has it's place as a MEDICAL pain killer, not a recreational drug. I also support other medical pain killers when used legally and not when used to "get high".
Old 10-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BuggyKing View Post
what ever the government has got to do to make more money.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oasis View Post
I know my "buddy" storydude1 has a few misunderstanding about where I stand over legalizing drugs so here goes..
Why marijuana should not be legal..
If nobody else suffered directly from using illicit drugs, the user makes a victim of himself. The law has an important role in protecting people from themselves. In some countries it is a criminal offence to not wear a seatbelt in a car. For these reasons illicit drug use has in most cases been made a criminal offence, but there is no point in having criminal laws unless those caught breaking them will at least face prosecution. Less serious offences, such as failing to complete a census form, may also attract a criminal record, so the contention that criminalizing drug use is draconian can be seen as overstatement. The notion that illicit drug use is a victimless crime and that everyone should be free to do what they want with their body disregards the web of social interactions that constitute human existence. Affected by an individual’s illicit drug use are children, parents, grandparents, friends, it's no less victimless than alcoholism.
I do believe that medical marijuana has it's place as a MEDICAL pain killer, not a recreational drug. I also support other medical pain killers when used legally and not when used to "get high".
^ Originally stated (word for word) by the Christian Institute's "Going soft on Cannabis" & Drug Free Australia's "Arguments for Prohibition". Both were condensed on Wiki's Arguments For and Against Prohibition.

Not trying to jab at ya' Oasis.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by downtempo View Post
^ Originally stated (word for word) by the Christian Institute's "Going soft on Cannabis" & Drug Free Australia's "Arguments for Prohibition". Both were condensed on Wiki's Arguments For and Against Prohibition.

Not trying to jab at ya' Oasis.
I did copy and paste..it said it waaay better than what I could..or wanted to type..I'm on my phone..
Old 10-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oasis View Post
The law has an important role in protecting people from themselves. In some countries it is a criminal offence to not wear a seatbelt in a car.
I'm not all political, but I hate laws like this. Seatbelt laws, helmet laws, etc.. If you are too stupid to realize the reason these safety items are around, then don't use them, get yourself killed in an accident and save the rest of us the burden of dealing with another dumbass walking the streets among us. The pussification of America continues...
Old 10-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The law has an important role in protecting people from themselves.
FALSE

NOWHERE is it the LAW's responsibility to protect people from themselves.This is a misguided belief in this country and IMHO one of the reasons we have gone from rejects, to the greatest superpower on the earth, and back to rejects.

IT IS NOT THE LAW'S JOB TO PROTECT YOU FROM YOURSELF. To accept this is to forgo all Rights Afforded to you. Like the "it takes a village to raise a child" nutjobs. It takes at least one parent that gives a crap...Not a "Village"

The issue I have with your profession Oasis is thus:
There is no oversight in the system. You may sell only to this dispensary, and they may sell to all legal patients. But with no oversight by a higher power, the temptation is too great for someone along the chain somewhere to funnel a little off the top and sell to the wrong people.

This is why most recreational drugs do not make for medical uses. Not because they work,(because most "recreational" drugs at one time were medicinal) but because the avenues for abuse are so prevalent.

Now, I know a few people in Canada that grow for the Government of Canada. Totally different setups. Triple razor wire, biometric sensors, electrified fences, spot checks from the government, and officials present at most stages of the operation. Even funnier is that these people need a "restricted" Firearms permit before even being accepted into the screening program to even petition to grow. A Restricted permit in Canada requires at least military service, LEO service or be enrolled in the same.

If California had even a hint of the regulation on Medical Pot as the DOJ has on repair shops in Cali, I'd not have as much of an issue.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Storydude1 View Post
FALSE

NOWHERE is it the LAW's responsibility to protect people from themselves.This is a misguided belief in this country and IMHO one of the reasons we have gone from rejects, to the greatest superpower on the earth, and back to rejects.

IT IS NOT THE LAW'S JOB TO PROTECT YOU FROM YOURSELF. To accept this is to forgo all Rights Afforded to you. Like the "it takes a village to raise a child" nutjobs. It takes at least one parent that gives a crap...Not a "Village"

The issue I have with your profession Oasis is thus:
There is no oversight in the system. You may sell only to this dispensary, and they may sell to all legal patients. But with no oversight by a higher power, the temptation is too great for someone along the chain somewhere to funnel a little off the top and sell to the wrong people.
This is why most recreational drugs do not
make for medical uses. Not because they
work,(because most "recreational" drugs at
one time were medicinal) but because the
avenues for abuse are so prevalent.
Now, I know a few people in Canada that
grow for the Government of Canada. Totally
different setups. Triple razor wire, biometric
sensors, electrified fences, spot checks from
the government, and officials present at most
stages of the operation. Even funnier is that
these people need a "restricted" Firearms
permit before even being accepted into the
screening program to even petition to grow.
A Restricted permit in Canada requires at
least military service, LEO service or be
enrolled in the same.
If California had even a hint of the regulation on Medical Pot as the DOJ has on repair
shops in Cali, I'd not have as much of an
issue.
I do agree that california's medical marijuana program needs more regulations and much stricter guidelines, and just an FYI..I was in the military for 6 years, and did have a TS security clearance and I did work for a "security" company overseas. I have no record, I don't do drugs or drink.

drink,

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service