Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
New 'Puter.  (Geek Thread) >

New 'Puter. (Geek Thread)

New 'Puter. (Geek Thread)

Old 09-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default New 'Puter. (Geek Thread)

Can wait a couple of months if deals are around the corner. And thats what Im wondering. Should I wait another month or two? (NOT Black Friday deals)

So for all those tech heads out there.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=12289891

I don't think I can wait any longer. The AMD Bulldozers wont be out till next year. Maybe I can afford a laptop with one by then.

Just ideas. LMK. Sounds like might need around a 750 PS to be safe/future.

Video Card will be mid to high range whatever choosen. Leaning toward ATI/AMD simply because better power/thermal efficiency and mo memory vs Nvidia 400 similar priced series. Have both Intel and CPU setups in the list. The I7 is more powerful. However I do get more cores and a higher clock speed with the AMD. Hyper-threading are fake threads and not like having more than one cpu. On the other hand the I7 is more energy efficient and wont require as much active cooling.

FWIW Its not so much hardcore gaming with multiple vid cards as a workstation then gaming. So in my case one decent card with a good Thermal/Efficiency is better than overkill of two cheaper cards running in tadem. Important to me are cores for rendering and memory for all the 64bit programs. So 6-12 gigs.

Thoughts?
Old 09-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

The question is, how often would you be rendering?

For rendering, the 6-core would be best, IF the rendering software can support 6 cores. But for gaming, it would not be beneficial.

Most video games do not effectively use more than 2 cores currently, and if they can use 4, the bottleneck is typically the GPU.

Would you want to overclock the CPU? You will notice better performance with programs that do not utilize multiple cores, with higher CPU speeds, as opposed to more cores. If cost is a factor, maybe consider a slightly cheaper CPU, get a big heatsink, and overclock to 4.0.

As for a GPU, I am not up to date on the current line-up. Choose a model that has sufficient cooling options, like a big fan, and large heatsink. a 2-3 slot-wide design would be ideal.

might I recommend a site: www.overclock.net
Old 09-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

DO NOT BUY A CHEAP PSU! That Sparkle is not good enough. If it blows, it may well take other stuff with it. I use SilverStone. Only. But, PC Power and Cooling is awesome, as is higher-end Corsair, and Zalman.

I7 930 should be fine, 'specially if you OC.

Get a Gigabyte board if possible, good stuff. Or EVGA.

5970 is the most powerful card available right now. 2 cores, will render its' ass off. For a gaming card. If you want a workstation card, sell your house. Or children. Or your kidney(s). Or all of the above.

I7 will need triple channel RAM. Get fast stuff, DDR3 is cheap right now, why get slow stuff?

Bulldozer and Sandy Bridge are too far off, if you can't wait, intel has the fastest stuff right now.

www.guru3d.com

You'll find me in the forums, trollin' like a champ...
Old 09-11-2010, 01:19 AM
Tech Champion

I was looking at Toms Hardware and the MSI with that military grade components had the best efficiency rating. Its numbers were mostly better in the tests than the Gigabyte as well.

You don't need a workstation card unless doing cad. Normal gaming card is good enough for game development. The thing about ATI cards is they arent as good as nvidia at pure raytracing. Which modern programs allow you to offload some of the rendering to the GPU.

I was always under the impression that Sparkle made good powersupplies. Just not as in your face as the big names with promotion.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:31 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

My 5770 is an MSI HAWK, it's clocked to the moon(1.024/1.4), on water(always), so far so good. If you have to have an nVidia, then might as well go with a 480, it's their best now. However, they are VERY hot-running, and VERY inefficient. I have never had an MSI board that I clocked with, so I really can't knock 'em. SilverStone rates their PSU's as constant wattage, not peak. Most others rate by peak, which is a misleading number. I have not had a Sparkle, but I won't ever under spend on that one component. It is THE most important. Some of them do over-advertise, but many do not. I wouldn't steer you wrong.

ATI will have the 6000 series soon, like by Christmas some will be out, and so far, they sound like killers, so if you are patient, it may be worth it. The problem with waiting, there's always something new and better, so really it's more like what do you need NOW?
Old 09-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

My Corsairs came with fancy velvety carrying bags. You know, cuz it's always just a bitch to carry your psu around otherwise.

Intel/nvidia FTW
AMD's CPUs are great, but ATI....ew....I just threw up a little. Just google "ATI There are no plans for driver development at this time"
I work with several CAD programs daily, and have had several "unresolvable" (according to ATI) problems with ATI cards, and in over 12 years, never one prob with nvidia.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Tech Champion

Hmm. Well I could cheap out on a video card then until then if the new AMD cards are just around the corner. But you know. I wonder by Xmas the 6 core I7s will be down in the $250 range.

Argh! Wait or go.

BTW I did google like you said and all I saw was for outdated ATI products. I also have been running ATI (Now AMD since ATI name being dropped) cards for my last 2 systems. They are night and day since the old days. Linux support has improved greatly as well.

If I got an Nvidia I would get a 460/5. IF you look at the thermal for them (TDP). It jumps a huge amount with the 470-480.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_400_Series

Nuts. Now I dont know what to do. Wait or go. :/ Can I limp along with what I have now. Yep. But it certainly isnt enjoyable.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Funny I just found this thread... iv been researching components for a new computer and finally just made all my purchases on newegg yesterday. I haven't built a new computer in about 8 years. I am currently typing this on a gen1 pentium 4.... its just about on its last legs, so it was time for something new. I went with

gigabyte p55 1156 motherboard
intel i5 2.66 quad core cpu
evga GTX 470 gpu
modular 550 watt PSU
antec 1200 full size case
128 GB solid state primary drive
Old 09-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by oXYnary View Post

BTW I did google like you said and all I saw was for outdated ATI products.
Well I guess that makes sense. It has been a while since I used ATI. Having had driver conflict issues, very poor support (IMO), and having to chase problems down with every single ATI card I've ever used, has left a bad taste. Nvidia has pretty much been plug-n-play comparatively. Hopefully AMD has it all covered by now.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Tech Champion

Nice setup! Curious on the I5 though?

Personally Im thinking about 2 smaller SSD and running in a stripe (0) config. First because the price per MB gets exponentially higher the larger the space. Secondly because since SSD wear out with writes. If you share the load between two drives with their own internal mechanism of shifting data to keep the write amount even. Its better than one drive. And faster to boot.

The system I have now is.

Athlon XP 3200
2 Gigs of DDR400
ATI 3850 512MB
2 80 gigs in a stripe 0.

Like I said I can use it. Its not always fun.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Funny I just found this thread... iv been researching components for a new computer and finally just made all my purchases on newegg yesterday. I haven't built a new computer in about 8 years. I am currently typing this on a gen1 pentium 4.... its just about on its last legs, so it was time for something new. I went with

gigabyte p55 1156 motherboard
intel i5 2.66 quad core cpu
evga GTX 470 gpu
modular 550 watt PSU
antec 1200 full size case
128 GB solid state primary drive
That is funny since I was just looking at the same mobo/cpu for a home office setup.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

The system I have now is.

Athlon XP 3200
2 Gigs of DDR400
ATI 3850 512MB
2 80 gigs in a stripe 0.

Like I said I can use it. Its not always fun.
heh...ok so it is time for a rebuild. the hd3850 is another one that disappointed me at least it was cheap.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Right now, I am going to be quiet.

Because I am learning that the latest and greatest doesn't necessarily outperforms the older heavyweights.

I'll drop my specs in a few...
Old 09-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Nice setup! Curious on the I5 though?

Because the i5 750 is at the peak for price : performance ratio. It is 100$ cheaper than its i7 counterpart, and I really needed to save money where I could. The cpu, being one of them.

Personally Im thinking about 2 smaller SSD and running in a stripe (0) config. First because the price per MB gets exponentially higher the larger the space.
Totally wrong.. go look again. No matter what size you buy, the $:GB ratio always stays about the same with SSD... which can't be said for platter disks. For example, the corsair SSDs (best rated) are $154 for a 64 GB SSD... $299 for a 128GB.

and for the record... i HATE amd, and I hate ati. garbage, the both of them.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GundamWZero View Post
Right now, I am going to be quiet.

Because I am learning that the latest and greatest doesn't necessarily outperforms the older heavyweights.
You are 100% right, my friend.

I just got done reading a great artical where bench mark video tests show that video (in a lot of circumstances) perform better bench marks on a p55 than an x58.

Also, early P4s were out performed by P3s.

Just a couple examples. I haven't really checked any benchmarks between the i3s, i5s, and i7s... i chose purely on "bang for buck", within the quadcores. Also, I didn't realise at the time that I bought, that you could get a 95w i7. I (up till the time i made the buy) only found the 135w I believe.

I don't do any hardcore rendering.. just photo editing, and some gaming. The i5 is overkill already for me

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service