Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
New 'Puter.  (Geek Thread) >

New 'Puter. (Geek Thread)

New 'Puter. (Geek Thread)

Old 09-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phatkat View Post
I don't think it's bad, but the Corsair H70 is the newer refresh of the H50, and everyone that has an H50 loves it, so I can't see how the H70 would be worse. A few more dollars, but worth it. Unless you wanna cool everything, in which case I can work up a list for you, see what works best for your needs and wants.
As JLP would say.

"Make it so"
Old 09-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

From FrozenCPU.com

Danger Den CPU block add $5.50 for two 1/2" barbs.

Koolance full cover block for 460, there are few blocks for the 460, if you go with a 470 or 480, options open up. Add $5.50 for two 1/2" barbs.

Swiftech MCP655 pump with speed control.

Black Ice Extreme 360 Radiator. Add $5.50 for two 1/2" barbs.

Panaflo fan, times three.

Tygon tubing, get at least 8', good to have extra.

I didn't include a reservoir, that's up to you, depends on where you'll put it in the case, and you can also just make a t-line with a fillport, cheaper, but will require drilling a hole in the case.

The fans are what I use, I love 'em. I have a different radiator, the one I posted here is better than mine, but as you want to use nVidia, you'll need the extra core in it.

This is one loop, one radiator, you can do two loops, one for CPU and one for GPU, or one loop with a radiator between the CPU and GPU, and one after the GPU, or see how this setup goes. This one will work well for you, unless you want extra cooling power, or just wanna be fancy.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by oXYnary View Post
As JLP would say.

"Make it so"

Turn up the bass...
Old 09-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Tech Champion

From FrozenCPU.com

Danger Den CPU block add $5.50 for two 1/2" barbs.

Koolance full cover block for 460, there are few blocks for the 460, if you go with a 470 or 480, options open up. Add $5.50 for two 1/2" barbs.

Swiftech MCP655 pump with speed control.

Black Ice Extreme 360 Radiator. Add $5.50 for two 1/2" barbs.

Panaflo fan, times three.

Tygon tubing, get at least 8', good to have extra.

I didn't include a reservoir, that's up to you, depends on where you'll put it in the case, and you can also just make a t-line with a fillport, cheaper, but will require drilling a hole in the case.

The fans are what I use, I love 'em. I have a different radiator, the one I posted here is better than mine, but as you want to use nVidia, you'll need the extra core in it.

This is one loop, one radiator, you can do two loops, one for CPU and one for GPU, or one loop with a radiator between the CPU and GPU, and one after the GPU, or see how this setup goes. This one will work well for you, unless you want extra cooling power, or just wanna be fancy.
Wow. The price of the gpu cooler made me cough a few times. Me thinks I will stick to fans.

But I am curious. Your still using fans to cool the radiator right? So liquid cooled systems in fact are not totally fanless?

Those fans on the h70 stock are generic loud? Figuring out why they are mentioning Triebwerk.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

PC build is done (at least for tonight). I only ran into 3 little hiccups.. 1.) The 2.5 inch SSD didn't come with an adapter to fit into my 3.5" adapter, for my 5.25 bay! So... $15 more from Newegg. 2.) I wasn't thinking about the number of drives I have, so I ended up with 3 total sata drives, and 2 total sata cables. $3 more from newegg. 3.) Should of purchased a better cpu cooler right off the bat... Will be buying an all copper Zalman as well. $45 more from newegg. The CASE IS FREAKIN HUGE!! (pictures do it no justice) The last picture gives you kind of an idea... im 6' 1", and you can see the case is half as big as I am.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Suspended

Wow. The price of the gpu cooler made me cough a few times. Me thinks I will stick to fans.

But I am curious. Your still using fans to cool the radiator right? So liquid cooled systems in fact are not totally fanless?

Those fans on the h70 stock are generic loud? Figuring out why they are mentioning Triebwerk.

Not fanless, just less fans. You can go fanless, sorta, but overclocking will be greatly limited. Even if you're passive on the CPU and GPU, you'll still need at least one fan to pull hot air out of the case. Bigger fans can be run slower, and will make less noise while still moving enough air.

That GPU block is the only full cover I saw for the 460, but there are GPU-only blocks, they leave the VRAM uncovered, but that really isn't a problem. That one can also be used on a different card, if you replace one with another at some point.

The H50 uses on fan, the H70 has two, or can use two, don't remember.

The biggest benefit to water is that temps are stable, no crazy spiking. Like mine, I have a 4.1GHz Q9550 and a 1.02GHz 5770 in one loop, and my CPU never exceeds 45c and my GPU never exceeds 48c, unless I do something silly, like run Intel Burn Test. It's a crazy-ass unrealitstic CPU/RAM load that you'll never see in real life. In that test, even with water, I get to 60c on the CPU, air coolers get to 80c, even the good ones.

There's probably a universal CPU block too, I just didn't look for one. If so, you can use one water setup for many builds or upgrades, just may have to change tubing length.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
gigabyte p55 1156 motherboard
intel i5 2.66 quad core cpu
evga GTX 470 gpu
modular 550 watt PSU
antec 1200 full size case
128 GB solid state primary drive
Just quoting for the above.

HOLY CRAP that is a huge case!

You know what really sucks? I think I found the perfect case. But its been discontinued! The NZXT Panzerbox.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811146056
Old 09-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
PC build is done (at least for tonight). I only ran into 3 little hiccups.. 1.) The 2.5 inch SSD didn't come with an adapter to fit into my 3.5" adapter, for my 5.25 bay! So... $15 more from Newegg. 2.) I wasn't thinking about the number of drives I have, so I ended up with 3 total sata drives, and 2 total sata cables. $3 more from newegg. 3.) Should of purchased a better cpu cooler right off the bat... Will be buying an all copper Zalman as well. $45 more from newegg. The CASE IS FREAKIN HUGE!! (pictures do it no justice) The last picture gives you kind of an idea... im 6' 1", and you can see the case is half as big as I am.

The first pic is hilarious.

That case, christ on a cracker! It's friggin' hyoooge! It's beggin' for water cooling!!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:20 AM
Suspended

Universal CPU blocks:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11...tl=g30c323s835

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10...tl=g30c323s828

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10...tl=g30c323s831

There may be more, but these are reputable brands.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

That case, christ on a cracker! It's friggin' hyoooge!
The fan on the top of the case.... im not kidding.. is as big as a dinner plate.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

That case, christ on a cracker! It's friggin' hyoooge! It's beggin' for water cooling!!
I think you could cram a chevy small block in it!

Hey! Photoshop contest! Let's see what you can do with that first pic!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

heli. If you think just updating your bios is a pain.. Try %^&( modding it without bricking your computer and getting the results your after.

http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Threa...Updates?page=3

Cripes! Talk about a full time job.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Old 09-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can think of a killer photoshop, but it's totally NSFW...
Old 09-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by helibrian View Post
Originally Posted by joe of loath View Post
I can think of a killer photoshop, but it's totally NSFW...
That's about enough right there!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service