Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
New 'Puter.  (Geek Thread) >

New 'Puter. (Geek Thread)

New 'Puter. (Geek Thread)

Old 09-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
and for the record... i HATE amd, and I hate ati. garbage, the both of them.
+1

And I used to be such a big AMD fanboy too; Now I think they are just wasting silicon... you can't really overclock their cpus for nothing.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GundamWZero View Post
+1

And I used to be such a big AMD fanboy too; Now I think they are just wasting silicon... you can't really overclock their cpus for nothing.
For me, it doesn't have anythign to do with anything like that, as I have never overclocked a single thing in my life... it is because I have had nothing but problems with them. Both ATI and AMD. What's the point when both intel and nvidia are so rock solid, and are industry standard? They don't cost THAT much more.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Tech Champion

Because the i5 750 is at the peak for price : performance ratio. It is 100$ cheaper than its i7 counterpart, and I really needed to save money where I could. The cpu, being one of them.

Totally wrong.. go look again. No matter what size you buy, the $:GB ratio always stays about the same with SSD... which can't be said for platter disks. For example, the corsair SSDs (best rated) are $154 for a 64 GB SSD... $299 for a 128GB.

and for the record... i HATE amd, and I hate ati. garbage, the both of them.
I stand corrected. Thank you for giving me the heads up Captain.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ame=SATA%20III

So the only advantage would be life with the write split between two drives. In that case 1 is fine. It will be the OS and maybe the programs I really need to start quick like max and photoshop. So the 64 gig would work.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Tech Champion

For me, it doesn't have anythign to do with anything like that, as I have never overclocked a single thing in my life... it is because I have had nothing but problems with them. Both ATI and AMD. What's the point when both intel and nvidia are so rock solid, and are industry standard? They don't cost THAT much more.
All I can say is that the ATI drivers in recent years are SOOOO much better. The only draw Nvidia has for me at the moment is they a better raytracing engine so that programs that use OpenCL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCL really take advantage of em... Again though that TDP is really a drawback.

But I digress. The AMD Bulldozer isnt out till next year and the Phenom though much cheaper platform to buy into also isn't as efficient. So it looks like Intel for the moment.

Still wondering about the new AMD 6000 series card however. Specs anywhere for it or preproduction reviews?

Edit: Here is what I found.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/rad...000,11234.html
http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-R...0-148081.shtml

So Mid October. Also sounds like may not be much more than the 5000 series. I still want to see some specs first.

Last edited by oXYnary; 09-11-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by oXYnary View Post
I stand corrected. Thank you for giving me the heads up Captain.
No problem... didn't mean for it to sound sneer.. sorry about that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ame=SATA%20III

So the only advantage would be life with the write split between two drives. In that case 1 is fine. It will be the OS and maybe the programs I really need to start quick like max and photoshop. So the 64 gig would work.
Yeah... i looked and looked, and decided that 1 drive would be fine, as long as you get a large enough one for all your apps. with windows 7, 64GB is JUST NOT QUITE ENOUGH (after my pile of apps and games).... so i went with 128. Wasn't cheap, but since I only build when my computers are really really obsolete, I figured "why not".
Old 09-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

For me, it was about the bang for the buck. and it still is. I have a Intel E8500 processor. Right now, they are priced at $183, for a 3.16GHz processor.The cheapest i7 from Intel I see is $ 319.99 and it puts out 2.93GHz.

Now here is where I get lost, so help me get on track:

More processing cores = a cooler cpu, less processing cores = hotter cpu, right?

Right now, I have my E8500 cpu pushing 4.08GHz on a moderate liquid cooling system.

Point is, when I tried to run FSX on a AMD processor, the system caved!! And when I tried overclocking when buying a new processor was too expensive, AMD was very unstable. I switched to Intel and never looked back.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

This is a must see. Granted its from the P4/P3 days, but its still great to watch!!! Pay close attention to the temps reached on the AMDs.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Alright here is the deal with me;

I am a Flight simmer (not to mention a multi-tasker). There is a HUGE difference between a Simmer and a Gamer: Although a Gamer is all about speed and performance of his/her computer, a Simmer is also about that too, but also about the perfection of the Simulation they are running.

I have been on board with NVidia for a long time because they were simply the best at the time. Had two NVidia 6800 GS in SLi mode because I couldn't afford the 8800 GTX. Now I have the GTX, but there is another problem: perfection.

As in all real life simulations, you don't sit in front of a 19" to a 22" monitor. You have to have a full forward field of view without panning side to side. In order to have a full forward field of view, you have to have 3+ monitors. Right now there is only one videocard that is supposed to do just that. The ATI Radeon HD 5770. Problem is that it only does that with two DVI outputs and one HDMI output. So you will have one screen with a better resolution than the others.... So I put that card in my sons computer...

However, I have been using a device called Triple Head 2 Go from Matrox for my 8800GTX. My video card is not getting overworked (unless I go up to 6 screens) and now I am on the hunt for another 22" monitor!

Here are some examples of how its done:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video

And here is a shot of my system:

Last edited by GundamWZero; 09-11-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

An I7/I5/I3 is faster per clock cycle than its' Core2 counterpart, but not markedly so, they are just the next step. I have a Q9550 at 4.1GHz, and it would be silly to go to I7/I5/I3, as the difference isn't worth the money. Sure, it could be argued that I would also get faster RAM, but RAM speed is less important than RAM volume, i.e. going from 2GB RAM to 4GB is much more improvement than going from 1150MHz(my current) to 1600MHz(DDR3 standard). Also, nVidia vs. ATI, it's really just preference, and any current ATI card will do Eyefinity. AMD chips should not be undersold, as they DO have the best bang-for-the-buck, considering the price of their 6-cores is almost half that of Intel's. Also, for overclocking, AMD still is greatly clockable, but as with Intel, you have to have a good stepping, or you won't get much out of the chip above what it's rated at. My Q9550 is an E0, the best clocking Q9550 they made, and I consciously looked for one when I bought it. I figure I have another year or so before a major upgrade, and by then who knows what'll be available.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GundamWZero View Post
Alright here is the deal with me;
Those setups are all pretty good... but no sim setup in the world compares to ledfoots setup!!! This is truely amazing... he races on iRacing: Those are 46" HD tvs that actually wrap around him.. and an actual cockpit built with a hydrolic racing seat...

+ YouTube Video
Old 09-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Tech Champion

This is a must see. Granted its from the P4/P3 days, but its still great to watch!!! Pay close attention to the temps reached on the AMDs.

+ YouTube Video

Yea. I did that to a friends Athlon once.... He was asking me q's while I was installing and I forgot to install the heatsink clamps...

Modern CPUs have sensors and such that will shut themselves down or lower their mhz.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Suspended

Uh, first, what real-world excuse is there to take off your heatsink?

Second, that was socket 462! Been dead for years now.

New CPU's have O/L & O/T protection.

Also, doesn't help when you smear thermal paste all over the chip, that stuff is conductive.

*edit* Just realised that that is Tom's Hardware, they are hardly subjective!
Old 09-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Suspended

I forgot to install the heatsink clamps...

Hehe, whoopsies!
Old 09-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Those setups are all pretty good... but no sim setup in the world compares to ledfoots setup!!! This is truely amazing... he races on iRacing: Those are 46" HD tvs that actually wrap around him.. and an actual cockpit built with a hydrolic racing seat...

+ YouTube Video
Yeah... nearly 5 grand for that system he is using....
Old 09-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Phatkat View Post
Uh, first, what real-world excuse is there to take off your heatsink?

Second, that was socket 462! Been dead for years now.

New CPU's have O/L & O/T protection.

Also, doesn't help when you smear thermal paste all over the chip, that stuff is conductive.

*edit* Just realised that that is Tom's Hardware, they are hardly subjective!
uuhh... phatkat? It's just a fun video to watch, nothing else. Relax maybe?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service